Wednesday, June 03, 2015

[Hairstyle] Elegant Low Knotted Updo | The #WashDayExperience


The only thing about my relaxed/texlaxed hair that I miss is the length. Even after my first big chop---my hair was at a length were I could still do all of my favorite updo's and protective styles. But now that my hair is considerably shorter---and a million times curlier---it's been hard to whip my hair into the low buns that I've been sporting for years. I feel so awkward and defeated every time that I try.

So instead of bunning my hair, I've been tying it in knots. I know. I know. That sounds crazy. Why in the world would I EVER knot my hair intentionally. Just gimme a minute to explain!

Here's how I got my #washdayexperience going:

Pre-Shampoo- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
Shampoo: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
Deep Condition: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
Leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter


I start my wash day by slathering my curls in Herbal Essence Hello Hydration to help me detangle and to give my hair a quick boost of moisture. I know from experience what happens when I don't detangle before I wash: tangles and chaos is bound to ensue. I followed up my pre-shampoo by rinsing in the shower then shampooing once with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream. What I love about this shampoo is that all the softness that I get from pre-shampooing isn't completely washed down the drain. This shampoo gets my dirty scalp clean, doesn't strip my hair, and actually moisturizes my curls. Honestly, this is why I have so much trouble trying new products, especially shampoos. I just think to myself, if it ain't broke why fix it?!


After shampooing, I used a cotton tshirt to absorb some of the excess water then applied Jessicurl Deep Treatment to my curls in sections. I sealed the conditioner with a little Almond oil, covered with a plastic cap + scarf then left it in overnight. You can read all about the whys and hows to my overnight deep conditioning madness here.

In the morning, I rinsed well, focusing on my scalp then t-shirt dried for about 30 minutes. By that time, my hair was about 70% dry. I applied a drop of Almond oil, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter in sections then (faux) banded my hair to stretch it a little. I always faux band my hair before I put my hair into an updo because my unstretched hair is crazy short. I'd guess that it's only 2-3" long when unstretched and twice or even three times as much when it's stretched. Need I say more? Haha! Faux Banding is crazy simple, you can check out how I do it here.




To style my hair, I worked in 3 sections: Top, middle, and bottom. The top section is just a pompadour started at the crown of my head and gently molded towards the front of my head. It's secured with hair pins. The middle section is a giant knot. I took the section, divided it into two pieces then tied the pieces together in a knot. I tucked the ends back into the middle of the knot to hide them. The bottom section is just another knot---just formed opposite of the middle knot. So you got- Pomp, knot, knot. BOOM. That's it!


If you love this style, I have another uber cute knotted style that you might like! Check it out here: Easy Knotted Updo Natural Hair.

How was your #washdayexperience?

Besitos!
KLP









20 comments:

  1. Don't worry! In no time your hair will be able to easily go into a bun! This style is so creative and simple. Do you find your hair retains moisture in this style? Your DIY Hair Butter is very similar to mine, except I put loads of Glycerin in mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica!

      My hair usually always stays moisturized when it's tucked away. Which is why I really need to stick to protective styles like this one if I want to keep my ends healthy!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I miss my length too, but your hair looks great in this updo. I really need to get my style game up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird because I don't even notice that the length is gone until I try to do an old style and realize that my hair just isn't long enough to pull it off. Ugh...

      The good news is that if I keep protecting and caring for my hair---I'll be able to regain the length with time and patience.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! You have an army of hairstyles to choose from, very creative KLP :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your hair knotting game is getting fierce @KLP ! its great what you did with the front this time! i like it.
    i would love to see you try african threading on your hair and see if your hair would be straighter when you take the threading down when compared to your banding.

    oh p.s. how long can you keep a style like this in your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done african threading before, but it's totally on my list of things to try. My goal with banding is just to stretch my hair enough to style it.

      I wore this style for 3 days before I co-washed and pulled my hair into a high puff.

      Delete
  5. I know the goodness that comes with using a conditioner to detangle the hair before using a shampoo. It protects your ends against the effect of the harsh chemicals in the shampoo too, specially if the shampoo contains sulfates.
    I love your hair. It keeps looking fuller and fuller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just drool over your updos KLP. Lovely style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This style is cute KLP! Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great updo!! I love the way you style your hair, I do know what you mean re: buns. when my hair broke off I couldn't put it into a bun and as that had been my go to style I was frustrated but I agree with previous poster - your hair will be "bun length" in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely frustrating. But I guess that the silver lining is that now I have a bunch of new protective styles for my shorter length to share with you guys! *Fist Pump*

      Delete
  9. Shrinkage is just a liar KLP, I'm battling with old styles too *deep sigh*
    Lovely knotty style. You just come here and make it look effortless girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effortless it is not! LOL. This style is the product of several failed attempts at other styles. LOL. But all the best ones are. Right? Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!