Wednesday, March 11, 2015

[Tutorial] Top Knot For Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience



I'm celebrating the #WashDayExperience first anniversary by sharing the number one most requested pictorial ever. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little here. See...what had happened was that I do this style alll the time and every time that I do, y'all ask me for a pictorial...soo...yeah...what was I saying---most requested blah blah yada yada... I'm finally showing you guys step by step how I pull off my fluffy top knot.


What you'll need:
Moisturizer: (My favorite is Jessicurl Too Shea)
Hair Ties (Karina Elastic Ties are great)
Hair Pins: (You can never have enough Conair Black Bobby Pins)
Hair Brush (I use my hubby's...don't tell him!)



  1. Detangle and moisturize hair then gather hair at the top of your head securing with a hair tie making a giant puff. (Sometimes, I have to secure the hair tie with a hair pin on each side.)
  2. Divide the puff into 6 equal parts.
  3. Using only the two front sections, cross them forming an X, then wrap around the base of your puff. Secure ends with a hair pain or tuck under the hair tie.
  4. Using only the two middle sessions, cross them forming an X, then wrap across the top of your puff. Secure ends with a hair pin (once again, if your hair is longer, tuck your ends under the hair tie.
  5. Using the remaining back two sections, cross them forming an X, then wrap across the around the base of your puff. 
  6. Fluff your top knot until it's the right size for you.

This style outlasts spin class, long distance running, rain, summer humidity, and snow. And I know because I've lived in this top knot at least once a week for the last year. It was a perfect way to blend my roots and my relaxed ends while I was in my relaxer-stretch-turned-transitioning.

So there you have it! The most requested #WashDayExperience style on SavingOurStrands! Let me know if you re-create it!

How was your #WashDayExperience chica? Share the dets below!



24 comments:

  1. Thanks KLP for your pictorials! I wish I had longer hair to try this style, looks elegant on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca!

      You only need a few inches of hair to pull off this look! Instead of using a taut hair tie, use a wider head band for your puff. Oh---and you may have to divide your hair in more sections to get the look. I've whipped up this style on my younger cousin with shorter hair and it looks wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
    2. Thanks KLP! Your tips will come in handy :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that bun! It looks so regal. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! This is going to be a FANTASTIC style on you! Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  3. Simply gorgeous KLP!! I have to try that myself though I may have to add a little hair to it to make it full looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it out and add a little hair---let me know! I'd love to share the process with the rest of the SavingOurStrands fam!

      Delete
  4. I love the top knot! It's so pretty. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Making me wish for longer hair lol. Congrats on one year of the #washdayexperience, I am sure it has encouraged a lot of ladies to keep up with their hair care regimens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I just love love love the positivity that the #washdayexperience spreads! I pray that its helpful!

      Delete
  6. wow, your natural hair is really long! lovely bun KLP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my nape, my hair is about 7 inches long---which really isn't that much considering that my last relaxer was in July 2013. Obviously my hair doesn't grow the average of 1/2" a month. *Super sad face* :(

      Thanks for stoping by chica!

      Delete
  7. Lovely Top Knot! I'm enjoying these hairstyles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your styles are always amazing KLP. I will definitely add this to my list of to-do styles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi KLP,
    I owe you so many tutorials that sometimes I come here with my hands over my face. I will try to have some posts soon. I want to try this one when I get a chance. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There you go with another lovely style! Soon I will be able to do this one again. But for now, I attempted perm rods, crossing my fingers they ceom out good tomorrow. I will be posting the results come next wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Seems quick and VERY easy to do. I'm definetly going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I've been feeling so uninspired with my natural hair lately, but I think its because i just dont know what to do with it. I'm going to try some of your tutorials, maybe l'll get my kinky-curly mojo back!
    http://ahhhsoneo.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!