Wednesday, November 06, 2013

How To Get A Big Bun Without Mesh Donuts or Weave

Healthy Hair Question: 
Q: First, do you use mesh donuts for your buns? If not, how in the heck do you get those bigggg buns?


A: I love me a BIG ol doughy bun! I have used mesh donuts for some of my buns in the past, but I've never used a weave. Here are my secrets to big doughy buns without a mesh donut, heat, or a weave on about shoulder length or longer hair:

  1. Air Dried Stretched Hair- My fluffiest buns are started on hair that has been detangled, air dried, and stretched. Moisturize your hair however you want. Seal it with whatever you like. But be sure to detangle and stretch your curls without heat. Because I have 18 weeks of curly post relaxer roots, I faux band my hair and bantu knot it (without a holding product in my cocktail). My favorite moisturizing triple threat has been my Aloe Tea Spray, Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner and Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter.
  2. Banana Clips and Hair Pins- I don't know about you, but finding a hair tie in my house is like panning for gold. Most of the time, I'm totally unlucky. However, I can always find a Scuni Banana clip. They are super cheap, less than $3USD and extremely durable. Plus, I feel like there is less stress on my edges and I have a smoother look. How To: Gather your hair into a pony, high or low, its your pleasure, then secure with your banana clip. Separate strands to fill out clip, then guide hair into a bun around the clip. Your hair should completely cover the flip. Keep it loose and big.
    Secure your fluffy bun with hair pins. Two of the longer pins are usually enough for me.
  3. Aloe Vera Gel- I know that not everyone is about that fuzzy roots and frizzy curl life. So if you slap a little Aloe Vera gel on your edges and then use a silk scarf to tie your hair down, after 10-15 minutes you'll have tamed hair.
Thanks for your question chica!

Besitos!
KLP

20 comments:

  1. very lovely bun and i love the way your edges are laid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your buns are gorgeous and I simply had to save all your pictures from the 30days bun thingy you had going back. They are my go to resource for gorgeous buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That's so kind doll! Shh...don't tell but---we're working on a Bun Effect 2.0!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I was looking for a protective style to use next week, and I think I just found it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop! I can't wait to see your pics! I just know that your doughy bun is gonna be FAB!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I really need to get myself a banana clip, I used to rely on mesh donuts all the time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start using banana clips, you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner. Best $3 for 3 clips and they last forever. I have one that's still going strong from high school.

      Delete
  5. This post is AWESOME! Your buns do look huge! I need to pull out my banana clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get asked if my bun is real or not on a weekly basis, so I had to post this! Yes, it's real! Volume is my absolute favorite thing about my hair!

      Delete
  6. So you've inspired me to pull out my banana clips! I'm not sure if my hair is quite long enough, but I'll be darned if I don't try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally think that your hair is long enough! I can't wait to see your big ol bun!

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to get a banana clip for a while. When I finally get round to it I'll try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont like those mesh donuts. they act like velcro to my hair. ugh! so i still have them but i put a knee high pantyhose over it so that it won't snag. these days i just use a satin scrunchy and then just pull and pin my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen chica! Now that my hair is relaxer free, those mesh donuts just get stuck in my hair

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!