Friday, March 28, 2014

What To Wear For A 5k Race | Fitness Friday

Tomorrow Keyda and I are pounding the pavement in our first 5k of 2014. Regardless of the temperature, humidity or how much I sweat sparkle, I intend on looking good while doing it! It's #FitnessFriday *throws confetti* and of course I'm linking up with the awesome Ebony of Longing4Length, and fiercely fabulous Britt of One&20, to share what I'm wearing to my 5k race.


Honestly, you can wear whatever you want to your 5k race. Comfort is the key. You don't need anything fancy. And forget wearing new clothes or shoes---If you haven't worn it for a least a week prior to your race, don't bother now. Focus on keeping your stride and pushing your hardest.

1. Jacket: It's supposed to be 60+ degrees tomorrow. It's also supposed to rain and 3 days ago it snowed. Yeah. This chica is definitely bringing a warm not too tight but not too loose lightweight jacket---with pockets. (Suggested: Reebok Women's Workout Ready Double Knit Hoodie)

2. Sneaks: I love running. So I keep 3-4 pairs of running sneaks in rotation. My shoes are definitely "broken into" and are super comfortable. Please don't forget to tie your laces pre-race! (Suggested: Reebok Premier ZigWild TR)

3. Pants: Moisture wicking, moisture wicking, moisture wicking. Please only wear pants that are moisture wicking. Why? You will sweat sparkle from parts of your body that you didn't know that you had. Choose pants that wear close to the body, provide freedom of motion, and claro que si make your butt look fabulous! (Suggested: Reebok Workout Ready Capri)

4. Head band: Do not be that girl. You know that girl fighting with her hair every step for 3.1 miles. High bun this one and secure with a fitted headband to prevent flyways from annoying you. (Suggested: Scunci No Slip Grip Head Bands)

5. Shirt: Most races include a nifty "brag" t-shirt in your registration perks. Wear it if you get one! For tomorrow's race, I'm sporting my Black Girls Run Preserve the Sexy tee. My fave brag tee is super comfy, has a great fit, and makes me feel like a million bucks. Plus I'm running with a few members of my Black Girls RUN! DC crew. If you hate running alone and looking for a motivated, encouraging group of brown girls to kick it with, check BlackGrilsRun.com  to find a local running group. (Suggested: BGR Performance Tee)

6. Lucky Socks: I have lucky socks. I wear them every race. They are purple and very awesome. Without my lucky socks, I'm convinced that I will trip over my own feet and take out at least 10 other runners in the process. I don't wanna be that girl! Ha-ha! Whatever makes you feel lucky or gets you in the running zone, don't hestiate to wear it! (Suggested: Those holey socks in the back of your drawer that you refuse to throw away. Yep. Those are the luckiest pair)

Got any races planned this Spring?

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, and Britt of One&20

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, and One&20, via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.


Besitos!
KLP





26 comments:

  1. woop woop! Good luck for tomor!
    Since I started running I have recently broke the 5km barrier, and have never really thought of doing a race! I know they are plenty in my area and the buzz will be better than when am doing it with my lonesome! Good luck to the both of you, as you sparkle tomor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Races are so high energy and get your adrenaline pumping. It's weird but I always shave 2-3 minutes off my 5k time when I'm in a race.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. LOL @ #4 "do not be that girl"!!! Hahahaha! Good luck girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's not supposed to rain until 10ish---we need to make sure that we run super fast---you know so that we can get to brunch and not be drenched! Ha-ha!

      Delete
  4. Good luck, girls! I can't wait to hear about your experience later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen. Hopefully we won't have colds on Monday!

      Delete
  6. Oh my God, look who's superstitious!! Congratulations on your run!! What cause are you running for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeals* Just a little! This race benefits the Red Cross and Calvary Women's Service. Plus it's a girls only run. Who run this? GIRLS *in my terrible Bey voice*

      Delete
  7. All the best for tomorrow ladies!!! Will be virtually cheering you on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Race well ladies!! I am planning to run my first 5K in May. So excited! I need some moisture wicking, moisture wicking, moisture wicking pants. Lol thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooppppp! How are you conditioning for your race?

      Trust me---you will not regret getting some moisture wicking pants. Never ever will you regret it!

      Delete
  9. Good luck ladies, you can do it *excited much*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want that outfit! SO cute!! Good luck on your race, I bet you will be an addict when its over! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a thing for race bling. It makes me feel like superwoman. If only for a very very short moment!

      Delete
  11. That looks like a cool and comfortable outfit for a race. Good luck and have fun! I don't have any races lined up. I usually only run for fun and the health benefits. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cascia. I only do a handful of races a year. Usually I'm that girl running in the park trying not to sing to loud!

      Delete
  12. That outfit is so cute! Good luck tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Court! I didn't feel like I trained enough, but it was still a good race!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!