Friday, March 27, 2015

How I Totally Failed My Half-Marathon | #FitnessFriday



I really don't know how to begin this post. 

So, I'm just gonna be 100 with you guys.

Y'all know that I've been training for that half-marathon right? Well it was last Sunday. And I didn't run in it. 

Disappointed doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I feel.

My in-laws came in town Friday night to watch my minions and cheer me on. Saturday, I prepped with a 5 mile walk. I took them shopping. We had a BBQ. It was a fantastically wicked good time. They are fun and ridiculously supportive. I just love them to pieces.

As I started to lay out all of my stuff for the race that night, I realized---I FORGOT TO PICK UP MY RACING PACKET.



*heavy sigh*

If you've never run in a race, you probably have no idea what that means. Or how big of a deal it is NOT to have it. Long explanation short: without your racing packet (and your racing bib) you can't participate in the race. NO EXCEPTIONS

You see how many times they have NO EXCEPTIONS written in the FAQs? In ALL CAPS? That was obviously written for forgetful idiots like me.

My hubby and I drove to the pickup site hoping, praying, that someone was still there. 

But there was no one in sight.

I cried all the way home. 

And all night.

When I had to tell my mother in law, father in law, grandmother in law, and sister in law--all who had all traveled hours just for this occasion, that I couldn't race---my heart broke. They have been cheering me on---supporting me for over 6 months while I trained. My father in law walked miles and miles with me. My mother in law helped me find the race gear that I needed. My sister in law watched my kids so that I could go and run. They've been there for in a 100 ways. And I let them down.

I know that my memory is pretty much garbage. But I knew what I was supposed to do. I had a reminder programed in my phone. I'd read all of the requirements and FAQs ahead of time. I made a race day list and had it stored in my notes. I thought that I was prepared.


I don't even have a good excuse y'all.

I just forgot.


Race day morning, my father in law encouraged me to still go out and run. Not at the race---but along my training course. I didn't really want to. But I didn't want to just sit there either.

So I ran.

It was so hard. And I cried for the first 5 miles. I went over and over in my head all of the ways and people that I failed. I was angry. I was sad. I was disappointed. I was mad. I was really a hot mess.

My negative thoughts were all consuming and had complete control of me.

Then...I heard my RunKeeper app say that I was on mile 8.

What the whaty? How did I run 8 straight miles without stopping? Without needing my inhaler? Without struggle?

Never had that happened when I was training.

So, I stopped pouting, stalking, and complaining to concentrate on my running.

My legs and hips hurt but I refused to stop.

Before I knew it---I was done.


13.1 miles complete.

I wish that there had been a finish line to cross. My family cheering me on. Maybe a little rainbow colored confetti. Oh...and a shiny half-marathon medal around my neck.

*le sigh* I really wanted that medal y'all. 

But---I still did EXACTLY what I'd set out to do. Run 13.1 miles without stopping in less than 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Will I train for another half-marathon any time soon? Man---idk--I still really want that medal but the wounds are still too fresh.

I just want to thank y'all for all of your support. and I promise to do better next time. "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely."

Besitos
KLP



12 comments:

  1. That was very open of you to share. I would have been just beside myself too. BUT proud that you still went out there and got that run in like you had committed to so many weeks ago. Good for YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diatta! I appreciate your support. Hopefully in a few weeks the bitterness of the experience will wear off and I'll actually sign up for another race...maybe...

      Delete
  2. How heartbreaking! Just know that everything happens for a reason and we can't always understanding why the universe plays such horrible tricks. I know you wanted the medal but think how you accomplish your goal, so maybe the medal is knowing they you set a goal and was able to accomplish it. (((Big Hug)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the e-hug Michelle. I totally need it! I feel foolish for being this sad about not being able to run in a half-marathon race. Like---I just can't be normal! The disappointment is real though!

      Delete
  3. Oh man! I can feel the weight of your heart when you realized you didn't have the packet! I'm sorry! But I'm so happy you had a good run anyway and you know what? You didn't let anyone down. I can tell your family loves you and we all have those absent minded times when we forget something, even if it is a big something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh noo so sorry KLP I had no idea that the racing packet is thaaat crucial! But on the brighter side you actually did do the race and you should be extreeeemely proud of yourself, for doing a half marathon by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when the computer erases my comment....long story short I said:
    1) Reading this made me tear up as well, I can't even imagine your disappointment
    2) You did an amazing job to go ahead and run your OWN marathon - with an amazing time too!
    3) They should make the packets available online and you can just print them out at home!
    4) At least you gained all the positive strides along the way as you trained for the marathon.

    *hugs* although e-hugs don't feel like enough!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh KLP that's such a shame, but it's so amazing you still ran and did your own thing. That takes so much dedication, well done KLP x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god that is heart breaking. Good on you fit going out and doing it anyway though. There's always another chance to get that medal!
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok,so you didn't run at the race course, there was no finish line or medal. So what? Girl,you achieved a lot with positive encouragement from the very people you feel you let down. That's real family love right there! And if negative feelings of disappointment propelled you to run the first 8 miles w/o feeling/ realizing it,imagine what you can achieve when your mind is full of positivity! KLP,you are NOT a failure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wrap my mind around how disappointed you must be. You didn't fail your half marathon - you just failed to enter. Your family and friends will forgive you. All of you now know how much you can accomplish when you pull together. We'll be waiting for details on the next race you plan to enter. Many hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!