Wednesday, July 01, 2015

2 Years Post Relaxer | The #WashDayExperience


So...I ran off to Florida for a few weeks and totally didn't tell you guys! My bad! But I'm back and excited to celebrate 2 years post relaxer!

AND this chica is BEYOND siced!



I guess that I should finally tell you why I big chopped:

You see, I've been natural before---many many times---most of them accidentally natural---but natural nonetheless. My mother only relaxed my hair for special occasions (think twice maybe 3 times a year). When I started college---I completely stopped relaxing my hair when my room mate introduced me to the flat iron! My mind was completely blown because I had no clue that you could straighten your hair WITHOUT a relaxer and I was hooked instantly! Fast forward two years, my relaxed ends completely broke off and my shoulder length natural hair was disgustingly heat damaged. But, girls,  I was oblivious. I never ever ever wore my hair curly. I'd crank my flat iron up as high as it could go slather some blue magic on my scalp and take 20 passes on each section of hair to get it bone straight. Every. Single. Day.


Everyone in my dorm knew when I was straightening my hair. It smelled like burnt hair for days...

*hangs head*

Feel free to judge me. Shoot...I'm judging me! I started relaxing again because even my heat damaged hair wasn't straight enough for me once humidity hit it. I figured that a relaxer + flat iron would keep my hair LAID!

*hangs head lower*


But my perspective on my curls today is totally different.

I'm dangerously in love with these thangs!

Like, I really really really love them. Like, I don't feel like myself without them. My curls are my boos, baes, and cuddle buddies. Y'all just don't understand. I'm utterly flabbergasted at how long it took me to get to this point!

The best part of it all---basically NOTHING has changed in my #washdayexperience, my regimen, or my styling routine. All of my relaxed/texlax fave products still do the trick (honestly---some work better now!) and I can still rock my fave protective styles.

Will I ever relax/texlax my hair again? Probably not.

Do I have anything against relaxed hair? Absolutely not.

Relaxed hair is/was just a hairstyle to me. When I relaxed my hair---my goal was only to be able to straighten my hair easier. But as I learned other ways to stretch my hair without heat and as I stretched my relaxers 4-6 months, I really questioned---what was the point of relaxing my hair to begin with.

My answer came last year on the eve of my big chop:



I was just USED to doing it. There was no purpose anymore. I didn't even like the tedious process. I was simply accustomed to going through the motions.

So there you have it. My boring, uninteresting truth. Ladies chop off their relaxed hair for dozens of intensely powerful sentimental reasons. Reasons that include the love of their children, support for friends, respect of family, bold political statements, or beautiful spiritual revelations.

I'm just not one of them. I kinda wish that there was more to the story. Maybe I should make up something...

*kanye shrug* That's too much work!

I hope that you guys still love me!

Happy #WashDayExperience Wednesday!



30 comments:

  1. I love your hair KLP. I used to have a similar mindset when all of my hair was bone straight, but now it has more texture I can't imagine going back to how it was before. Your curls are so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a mil Lesley! It's crazy to think of how far we've come on this healthy hair journey together!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I think it is a lot about trends as well. When the flat iron entered the World even My caucausian friends with the straightest hair imagined, would straighten their hair. Straighter than straight was the fashion. The hair JLo had in her video for If you had my love is a very good and example of the required hair at the time 😊

    I think flat irons have ruined more hair than relaxers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're SPOT on Lisa! In my case, excessive flat ironing did more damage to my hair than relaxers could did!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! It is one thing to go natural and another to remain so. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed Kayla! My mom will go for years without relaxing her hair then pick it up all over again. Does she hate her curly hair? NOPE. She actually loves it. But she also loves having straight hair too... And with her short pixie style---it's crazy easy to waffle between the two.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  4. Happy two years girly! It's really nice to see how youve embraced your natural hair. I JUST LOVE IT. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best Abbii! I appreciate the encouragement chica!

      Delete
  5. Ur puff is gorg!! Congratulations on sticking to ur guns and going all the way natural, I'm looking to seeing a length pic from you KLP! Hope u enjoyed your holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca!

      Thanks so much chica! Length check? Girl---I'm enjoying my big hair so much that I doubt that I'll straighten it any time soon. I probably need to come up with a way to do a length check without straightening.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Congrats, chica( borrowed that from you Lol). Looking forward to more styles from you☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too cute Abena! More styles are on the way! Y'all know that I'm addicted to updos!

      Delete
  7. Your puff always looks so beautiful! Lol @ Blue Magic! I could not stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh I used to use soooo much Blue Magic! Remember that BIG jar? Yeah...I was using at least one of those a month. SMH! haha!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on 2 years KLP! Your puff is beautiful, I love the curls.

    I love the new blog design/colours as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a mil Lungi! I think that this is my favorite site design to date!

      Delete
  9. Congrats and your puff is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Your hair has come a long way and you were on top of it the whole time. Love what you do, and the new design is great too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I had lots of mishaps and mistakes along the way but I'm crazy excited about my new natural hair journey!

      Delete
  11. Cute curls KLP <3 As you know my hair is Japanese straightened, which gives you a straighter look than relaxed hair, but i still totally relate to what you're saying. There is a mindset people have to get their hair as straight as possible. When I first started getting my hair Japanese straightened at the salon they'd try to make my hair pin- dead- stick straight and I didn't like it, but it was the look they were use to giving their clients and was what most clients wanted. For ex, there was an Indian girl with already straight hair that paid $100 to do a Brazilian keratin to get it straighter. I have so many other examples, can go on and on. I, Japanese straightened hair an all, ironically never really had that mindset. When I was lye relaxed my hair was poofier and I'd rarely touch it with a flat iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Yahya! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your nappyversary!!! you make natural hair much cooler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, we still love you KLP! The fluffy and curly yumminess on your head is a worthwhile reason to go natural.
    I was also looking for a big reason to transition, it's always easier to go with what you want, even if it's because twist out look cute heheh, it is just hair :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When other people ask me why I chopped all of my hair off, I really want to give them an emotionally profound and insightful response...I just don't have one. LOL! And for some reason, they don't believe me anyway!

      Just can't win round here! HAHA!

      Thanks for stopping by Yvonne!

      Delete
  14. So nice to see your curls. Been a while I stopped by here..Silly me. Missed your down to earth blogging style.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!