Wednesday, July 29, 2015

[Hairstyle] Low Puff | The #WashDayExperience



I LOVE summer. Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, family reunions, barbeque...I love them ALL. But omgosh, it's keeping me crazy busy and focused on everything else BUT my hair!

Which kinda works in my favor and gives me time to test out some curl defining/holding products for when I want to wash and go. In a way, I feel like wash and gos are a protective style. I don't have to manipulate my hair (ie: by stretching it) I never wear it loose, so it's not touching my neck, and once it's in a puff---I rarely re-style it until I wash again. Or maybe I'm just being lazy delusional...hahaha!



Here's what I used this week:

Pre-shampoo- Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe
Shampoo- Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment
Leave-ins- Almond Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Whipped Hair Butter + Jessicurl Confident Coils

And here's how I did it:

My hair has a thing for protein. While, I'm not seeing a ton of breakage, I still like to use a protein condition once or twice a month to fortify my ends and prevent breakage. Today, as I detangled my hair, I applied Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe to my hair focusing on the ends. My hair literally sucks this stuff up like water and I love how thick it is. Since Nexxus has completely re-branded and changed the formula of my beloved Emergencee, I think that K-pak is my new favorite protein conditioner.

Related: Using Protein to Maximize Your length Retention 


I let the protein pre-shampoo sit in my hair uncovered and without heat for about 20 minutes. Then I hopped in the shower, rinsed well, shampooed with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream and rinsed again. After using a cotton tshirt to absorb most of water, I applied Jessicurl Deep Treatment to my hair plus a little almond oil to seal. I covered my hair with a plastic cap and then a scarf and went to bed. Y'all know that I adore over-night deep conditioning. But I especially love it after I've used to protein to ensure that my hair stays balanced. I want my hair to be strong but soft.

Related: Why I Deep Condition Overnight


The next morning, I rinsed my my hair then while I was in the shower, I applied a little almond oil, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner, a dab of DIY Hair Butter to seal and some Jessicurl Confident Coils Styling Potion. I used my hands to smooth my hair back into a low curly puff then added a few orchid
flower pins to get fancy because I was going to a wedding.

Related: How To Make Hair Butter


I may or may not have done a happy dance about being about to get my hair into a low puff. Wait---who am I kidding---y'all know that I did the dougie followed with a bachata twirl! Feel free to judge me but I was siced! I'll probably keep my hair pulled back for a few days then do a twist out.

How are you beating the heat this summer?

Feel free to share your #washdayexperience below!



18 comments:

  1. Hey KLP R those hand picked flowers? They are beautiful and look real! I really like how you manage to take care of ur hair in line with ur busy schedule, lovin the puff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca!

      The orchids are totally fake! Everyone always asks me that---they must look real! Honestly, I really like wash and gos because once I'm out of the shower, I'm done fiddling with my hair for at least 2-3 days. I wish that I could go 2-3 weeks without washing but I workout (and sweat like a pig) almost daily...my scalp wouldn't be able to take it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. <3 I love the puff KLP! So pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so radiating girllll! You def make me wanna just chop off all relaxed hair, and go natural now. I really love how defined your hair looks too. And I need to hop on the low bun train lol (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to review Jessicurl Confident Coils for you guys! It gives me definition for DAYS honey!

      Delete
  4. Your hair is growing nicely!!! What did you use to secure your puff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica! I used a stretched out hair tie. Easy peasy!

      Delete
  5. You look amazing!!! I love your photo. Your body is glowing and looking all gorgeous. I missed a good opportunity to buy Jessicurl at the New Orleans Natural Hair Expo. It wasn't until I was back home, sorting through photos did I realize a vendor was actually selling the line at their booth. Totally bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome news! Jessicurl is in Sallys Beauty stores now!!!

      Delete
  6. I've really got to do better with protective styles. I wear my hair out way to much and now it's really starting to take a toll. I don't think I deep condition enough or use enough protein enriched products. SMH!! I'm going to a salon next week. Hopefully my hair can get the help it needs because it's in a not-so-healthy place right now!
    Loving the low puff tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got this Mionna! I'm sure that your trip to the salon will reinvigorate your love for your hair! I think that I wear my hair in too many puffs and not enough "truly protective" styles. There will always be something in your hhj that you feel like you can do better so don't beat yourself up about it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love the flower pins! Hair accesories just give that extra gorgeousnes to hair i tell you!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!