Wednesday, July 15, 2015

[Hairstyle] Fierce Frohawk | The #WashDayExperience


My hair has been screaming bloody murder for a good protein treatment and clay mask but I've been too lazy preoccupied crazy busy to do it. Then, I had the audacity to go to the beach and let my hair loose. My hair revolted! 

Needless to say, I HAD to get my act together and gave my hair the deep treatment that it needed. Here's what I used:

Pre-shampoo: Redken Extreme Builder Plus
Shampoo: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
Clay Mask: Aztec Healing Bentonite Clay (+ Apple Cider Vinegar + Aloe Vera Juice + Glycerin)
Deep Condition: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
Leave-Ins: Almond Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter + Camille Rose Curl Maker


And here's how I did it:

First, I started by detangling in sections with the help of a little Redken Extreme Builder Plus. I totally owe you guys a review on this product. But in a nutshell:

1. I'm totally repurchasing
2. This stuff is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious amazing! 
3. My curls practically sang after I apply it...

After detangling and letting the Redken conditioner sit for about 30 minutes (without heat and uncovered), I hopped in the shower and rinsed thoroughly. Thanks to my minions turning me into a sand mermaid, I still had a ton of sand in my hair so I shampooed twice with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream. What I love about this shampoo is that no matter how many times that I rinse-lather-repeat my curls still feel uber springy and moisturized. 


I gently t-shirt dried my hair then applied my Bentonite clay mask. When I apply the mask, I like to sort of smooth it in from root to tip add a dab more on the ends then twirl the section around my fingers. I noticed that when I use this technique---as opposed to just rubbing it in---my hair is crazy smooth and my curls better elongated. I covered my hair with a plastic cap and a scarf then let the treatment sink in for about an hour. 

My full wash day process is sorta tedious at times but totally worth it. Especially when I went to rinse out the clay treatment! Oh, sweet baby Jesus I couldn't take my hands out of my coils. Honestly, I could have stopped in my tracks right there and when on about my day. My hair was crazy moisturized, not a tangle in sight, and gorgeously elongated. But I knew that after several weeks of neglect, I really needed a deep conditioner. So I grabbed my Jessicurl Deep Treatment conditioner, smoothed it through my curls and sealed it with a little almond oil. BEST.THING.EVER.

I adore everything about Jessicurl Deep Treatment. I mean, it literally revives my curls. I only had one petty hair product junky issue with it: the packaging. Okay---check it---this stuff is crazy thick, which I LOVE but being in a narrow bottle with a itty bitty opening drove me insane on wash day. 

For my Seinfield lovers. C'mon man---you know that you've done this to your favorite conditioner before. Don't turn your nose up at me. LOL.

Me trying to get the last bit of conditioner out of the bottle
After rinsing in the shower, I let a cotton t-shirt absorb the excess water then applied my leave ins and about 25 purple (magenta), white, and tan perm rods. I left the perm rods in overnight to dry. It was a fitful night of sleep but honey my curls where worth it!


To style, I used about a billion hair pins to pull my hair into a frohawk! Frohawks are fierce, edgy, and fun but I'm not gonna lie---I'm gonna need some time to get used to this one on me because it's not my usual sleek sophisticated (aka mom hair) look. I'm not yet comfortable with really bold styles on my curls but at the same time---I feel really empowered by its carefree wildness.

So what do you think? Can I pull off this look or should I stick to my usual pin ups, buns, and braids?

Besitos!
KLP



18 comments:

  1. The Frohawk is cute, I've been meaning to try a similar style in my daughter's hair. JessiCurl cleansing cream sounds amazing, I love a good cleansing conditioner, have to check them out! ROTF with the gif, I can't stand being there with dripping hair trying to get some product out but its worth it if it works right?! Thanks as always for the #WashDayExperience, I love being a part of all the hair talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love having you a part of this crazy hair obsessed tribe chica!

      I just knew that I couldn't be the ONLY one struggling to get the VERY LAST bit of conditioner out of the bottle! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Lol @ the George GIF. I totally do that to any product I love that's in a bottle. In the worst case, I will cut the bottle open. Your frohawk looks great. Have your leave-in changed since you're fully natural?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't front---I've cut open a bottle or two before...LOL!

      My leave ins are pretty much the same. Except I switched my coconut oil for almond oil (Where I live at now, coconut oil is crazy expensive for the amount that I use so I changed it up a little #ballinonabudget) and now I'm experimenting with different holding products like Camille Rose's Curl Maker---LOVE THAT stuff..btw!

      Delete
  3. Lol at mom hair. I get that more often now that the hair is short. As soon as i saw the frohawk pocture, i actually said in my head that you've done something totally new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh Abena---I totally felt like everyone was staring at me all day. LMAO!

      Delete
  4. I love your Fro-hawk!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look fierce and its nice for a change to step outside your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks so much Tomi! While it's not a style that I would wear everyday---I think that I'll rock this style again!

      Delete
  6. You rocked it mama <3 You should definitely make it a staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! I guess that I need to get used to people staring!

      Delete
  7. You definitely pulled it off!! I cut my bottles open to get the last drop of conditioner. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust and believe that I've done (and will continue) to do the same thing Nerline! LOL

      Delete
  8. Your Frohawk is cute. I miss being able to do cute styles with hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lmao at that gif. I've definitely been there. not only with DC but with tooth paste and body lotions.. I just grab a pair of scissors and cut the bottom off. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooooooooo glad that I'm not the only one!!!!!! The struggle is real girl...oh so real!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!