Wednesday, January 27, 2016

[Tutorial] Braided Headband Tuck For Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience



My Vintage Tucked updo (you can check it out here) from last week was super cute and kept my ends tucked away but OMG now I remember why I don't use that Scuni Upzing that often; It gives me the worse headache! After two days of my updo, I pulled it down and rocked a twist out.



Then it snowed/rain/sleeted all over the best twist out I've ever gotten. *sad face* *shakes angry fist at the universe* Why won't you let me be great?!?

I had no choice but to wash my hair. Here's what I used:



Pre-shampoo- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner (review here)
Shampoo- Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (review here)
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here)
Oil Rinse- Green Tea Infused Hair Oil Rinse (tutorial here)
Leave-Ins- Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter

And here's how I did it:
I started my spritzing the ends of my hair with my DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here). I initially created this concotoion to moisturize my hair between washes, but now I also use it to detangle pre-wash thanks to an amazing tip from my linkup partna in crime Jen at JGA! Then I slathered my hair root to tip in Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (which has amazing slip btw! You can check out my full review here)

I hopped in the shower, shampooed with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (review here) and rinsed. Next, I deep conditioned with my all time fave conditioner Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here), coated my ends in Extra Virgin Coconut oil to seal in the conditioner and plopped under my hooded dryer for about an hour.

RELATED: Why I'm in love with the Coco (Coconut Oil of course!) 


After rinsing the conditioner, I used a narrow tip applicator bottle (Like this one of these) to apply my latest potion: A Green Tea Infused Hair Oil Rinse---in honor of this week's #washdayexperience theme "Tea for Two" (Wondering what the heck it is or how to make it? Read the tutorial here) I let the oil sit in my hair for a few minutes then rinsed.

GIIIRRRLLLLL....

I can't even describe it...


Let's just say that I will DEFINITELY do this again, especially with this disrespectful cold weather floating around! My hair felt crazy moisturized strong but soft. I t-shirt dried for about 10 minutes then installed my beloved Curlformers using Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter as my leave ins.




My curls were gorgeous, but I wanted an updo, so I whipped my hair into this Braided Headband Tuck. Here's how I did it:


  1. Begin with stretched hair (I stretched my hair using Curlformers.) Then create a heavy side part.
  2. Secure your bangs with a hair clip.
  3. Using a stretchy headband, place it at the crown of your head. (It might shift about now. That's cool. We'll get it to stay put in just a sec.)
  4. Now braid your bangs and incorporate hair from the front and behind the headband. (Trust me---it will look cute) Continue the braid until the end of your hair
  5. Gently pull on the sides of the braid to make it wider (and fuller)
  6. Then tuck it into the head band
  7. Now tuck the rest of your hair into the head band one section at a time until the headband is hidden.
Optional: Polish the look by smoothing your edges with little edge control. I finally ran out of Chi Twisted Fabric so I used Curls Blueberry Paste instead.

How did you style your hair this week? Did you use a tea rinse? Share the dets with the rest of our healthy hair tribe below!


23 comments:

  1. Oh that weather, stealing your thunder!!! But it bought out that cute braided tuck style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just won't let me be great. And...I guess that I could have checked out the weather before I went outside. LOL!

      Delete
  2. That green tea oil rinse tho!!! I gotta check out the recipe because this cold weather is the worst for our hair. Loving the cute updo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl!!! This oil rinse is the TRUTH! It's been 3 days and my hair is still uber moisturized. The only down side is that my hair is a little more oily now than it usually is. So the next time that I do an oil rinse, I'm going to rinse better.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This braided headband tuck is actually a great idea! It's very simple but something I would have never thought of! I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad that you like it chica! Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  4. You make your styles seem so effortless. I love the style!!

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This style is so cute! I'm definitely going to try it♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love the way you play around with these gorgeous hairstyles. Your texture is amazing too. The jet black is on fleek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL that image of the woman passing out though!
    Love the rolled headband style. I just do mine with a large elastic band thats losing its elastic a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my head is too big for that! LOL. I use the elastics that are stretched out for my high puffs!

      Delete
  8. This is a cute and easy style I can try on my 4c hair. Plus Curlformers are one of my favorite tools to stretch natural hair.

    Erickah at audacitytobeyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get on the Jessicurl bandwagon. I love the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl----Jessicurl is my EVERYTHING! But be careful, once you try it---you might get addicted!

      Delete
  10. I'm in love with the braided headband look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The braided headband look is gorgeous! I need to try your green tea oil rinse on my next wash day.

    www.adventuresofanappychica.com

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it---let me know! I'm kinda scared to try it again in fear that it was a fluke! LOL

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!