Tuesday, November 18, 2014

[Review] Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe


It seems like every single week I chat about protein. How much my hair loves it. How well protein layering works on my relaxed ends. How I really wouldn't have made it 73 weeks post relaxer without all of my relaxed ends breaking off it. Well---I guess that it was time that I share my {current} favorite protein conditioner: Joico K-Pak RevitaLuxe! 
 
Price: $5.99-$33.99 USD
Buy It At: Amazon.com
Promises: A luxurious restorative treatment that corrects years of damage while protecting against future damage. Keratin Peptide Complex delivers over 2X more resistance to breakage while protecting against color fade by 94%. Your hair will become dramatically stronger, softer, shinier and more moisturized with each application.

Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Amodimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, PEG-8 Distearate, Sorbitol, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Ceteth-2, Pentapeptide-29 Cysteinamide, Pentapeptide-30 Cysteinamide, Tetrapeptide-28 Argininamide, Tetrapeptide-29 Argininamide, Keratin Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Bis-Isobutyl PEG/PPG-20/35/Amodimethicone Copolymer, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-10, Sorbic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Trideceth-12, Cetrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Thioctic Acid, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Allantoin, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Hydroxide, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Fragrance/Parfum, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 4 (CI 14700).


My Thoughts: This conditioner is simply amazing. It's moisturizing and strengthening with a great scent and super thick rich consistency. My hair easily absorbs it and just a little goes a long way. This isn't a conditioner that you want to use when you have tangles and need slip. But this is the conditioner that you want to use to help fortify your strands with a boost of strengthening keratin and amino acids.

I'd label Jocio K-Pak as a medium protein conditioner on my strands. It doesn't harden as it dries like you'd get from a hard protein treatment. But there is a noticeable difference in your hair's texture. Expect your strands to feel "plumper" almost thicker after a few uses. I've also noticed that my hair retains moisture better and longer when I use this conditioner on a regular basis. In fact, I got away with only moisturizing and sealing only on wash day for several weeks when I protein layered with this conditioner without crazy breakage.

The huge pink elephant in the room? OMGosh---did you see that price? Ladies---that price tag is no joke. So here's my suggestion. Grab the $6 sample (1.7oz) travel sized bottle if you want to test it out. #ballinonabudget

Have you ever used Joico K-PAK? Would you buy it again?


Besitos!
KLP

16 comments:

  1. Girl the price did make me jump a bit #ballinonabudget LOL however I would be willing to pay if works for sure. Where can I get the sample package?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can order samples online. Both Amazon and Ulta carry the travel size (sample) for about $6.

      Delete
  2. Amazing is good, but unlike you, my hair does not like protein, not egg/animal protein anyway. Great review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know your hair better than anyone else! Can you use keratins or silk amino acids on your tresses?

      Delete
  3. That price is a bit shocking but if it works it would be worth it. I see Joico products in TJ Maxx/Marshalls. Do you ever see this product there?

    Don't Touch The Hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat me to it! I see the products in there on a regular basis but I have enough under my bathroom sink lol

      Delete
    2. I've picked up the Joico Moisture Balm at TJ Maxx before, but I've never seen KPAK there. You just have to be careful to make sure that the container is sealed. I noticed that when I buy certain Joico products at the salon---there is a seal but not at TJ Maxx. Werid right?

      Delete
    3. Oh and that $33+ price is retail price that GIANT tub in the picture. I think that I actually paid $21.

      Delete
  4. How does this compare to Joico reconstrucor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a KPAK conditioner, KPAK Reconstructor, and KPAK revitaluxe. The KPAK conditioner is more of a light conditioner---something that ladies with finer hair without much damage would like. It's very lightweight and It didn't do much for my thick roots or my texlaxed ends. I wouldn't deep condition with it. Reconstructor is a bit thicker but still on the runny side. Its cheaper than KPAK revitaluxe but I use a lot more each wash. KPAK revitaluxe is the most expensive, has I very very creamy rich texture, and gives my hair the most moisture/strength balance. The ingredients in all of them are very very very similar.

      I guess that I would say for light breakage or minimum maintenance go for the conditioner, medium breakage go for the Recontructor, heavy breakage reach for the revitaluxe.

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I can't see anything in the ingredients list that makes me understand why it is so expensive. I was looking for gold crumbles or Swarovski elements at the least.

    I think the price is rediculos.i don't mind to pay a little extra for good quality but this is a joke when you think what they want people to pay for putting protein in their hair when there are so many people in the world that struggles to find money to put protein in their stomachs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sooo right Lisa. There's definitely no gold pixie dust or magic crystals this conditioner. Is it a necessity? Nope. A lot of the stuff that we do to our hair isn't what I would consider a necessity and we could probably put our money to better use. But to each her own. I did a post a while back about my $40/mo or less hair regimen. You can check it out here if you're looking for less expensive options: OMG! Your Hair Regimen Is Too Expensive!

      My favorite part of this conditioner is how long it lasts. I've had this bottle since June and use it regularly (at least 3 times a month). I don't think that I'll have to replace it for another 2-3 months. If I'm doing the math right (math isn't my forte though...) that puts it at $4 and some change to use every month. From that perspective---the prices isn't as hard to swallow.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
    2. I hope this didn't come off as a criticism towards you. That was absolutely not my intention. I was criticising the industry for trying not only to sell us stuff that is labled as miracles ( CIS we all need to believe in miracles sometimes) but to do so to unreasonable costs. They play on girls feeling of not bing good enoug or looking good and especially with hair, what had grown out is dead and there is no way that dead hair can get life or health back. So what ever is added is temporary. It means that you need to to treatments over and over again with varied frequency but still need to continue using the product: so then sell things that xpnaive when there isn't really anything special in the formula I think is ugly business. If it would have been handmade, organic, some rare clay digged up o the top of himalaya or whatever....
      Anyway, just wanted to com back in case you felt I was rude to you :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Lisa! I totally appreciate your clarification. I didn't take it personal at all!

      I believe that you have a great point. This product is expensive, there's no disagreement about that at all and they (the manufacturers) can continue charging $30+ as long as we (well...me...lol) pay for it. There are tons and tons of other more affordable products on the market with similar formulas. It's not pretty and doesn't seem fair---capitalism is a beast. A filthy filthy rich beast.

      My experience with the product was an excellent one. It lived up to its promises of less breakage, softness, and shine. I started with two tubes of the sample size (At the time I think that it cost me $1.86. That was over a year ago from ComsoProf. Sample sizes are around $6 now online.) and loved it enough to keep using it and even purchase the larger tub that I could find.

      So if the folks over at Joico read this and want to lower the price for us---#woot #woot we'll take it! Ha-ha!

      Thanks for commenting chica!

      Delete
  6. do you this would be a good mid- relaxer protein treatment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY! The first time that I used it was for a mid-relaxer strengthening treatment. It worked great. Here's a direct link to it: How I Touch Up My Relaxer

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!