Wednesday, March 09, 2016

[Tutorial] Curlformer Side Bun + Double Dutch Braid Bun | The #WashDayExperience



They say that too much of a good thing is bad---and I'm guessing that applies to your hair too.

I co-washed by hair about 3 days after last week's #washdayexperience and afterwards I noticed that I had a couple places in my hair with some yucky build up at the roots.

So I grabbed my fave shampoo this week to give my scalp a thorough scrub.

Here's what I used:



Pre-shampoo- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner  (review here)
Shampoo- Jessicurl Cleansing Shampoo (review here)
Clay Rinse- Here's the dets on my recipe
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here)
Leave-Ins- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Why EVCO is AMAZING here) + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter (tutorial here)

RELATED: My Minimalist Natural Hair Regimen

And here's how I did it:


This week's #WashDayExperience theme is Detangling tips. I always detangle my hair before I hop in the shower. When I don't---my hair hates me. To get started, I spritzed the ends of my hair with my DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here). Then I slathered my hair in Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (my full review here) and detangled my hair in small sections. My detangling process takes about 15-20 minutes. I let the pre-shampoo treatment sit for about 20 minutes before hopping in the shower.

RELATED: My 5 Steps to Detangle FAST!


In the shower, I rinsed the conditioner section by section then applied my Clay Rinse with a narrow tip applicator bottle. This week, I started the application from front to back. My curls in the back are completed defined from root to tip. So I started with the front to give these curls some more love. Fingers crossed that I can get the curls in the front to POP like the ones do in the back!

Next, I deep conditioned with my all time fave conditioner Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here), coated my ends in Extra Virgin Coconut oil (here's the kind that I use $) to seal in the conditioner and plopped under my hooded dryer for about 30 minutes.

RELATED: Why I'm in love with the Coco (Coconut Oil of course!) 



I t-shirt dried for about 10 minutes then installed Curlformers using a little more Extra Virgin Coconut Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter (how to make your own Hair Butter here) as my leave ins.



I sat under the dryer for an hour then took down the curlformers and tossed my hair into a side bun.



I thought about doing something more glamorous the next day.

But I just didn't feel like it.



So into my staple Double Dutch Braid Bun the curls went. Aside from a simple ponytail--has been my favorite workout style since my relaxed days. You can check out more of my workout styles here. 

What are your detangling tips and how did you style your hair this week?




25 comments:

  1. I love the bun a lot. I'm not completely ditching shampoo, but I do my clay rinsing instead of shampoo now. Thanks to you! I need to use coconut oil more often. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your curls! They're gorg! So sleek and I love the shine. You totally make me want to dust off my curlformers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by you!!! (And all of the millions of curlformers pics that I have pinned on Pinterest...lol)

      Delete
  3. 2 braids will never steer you wrong but I'm gonna need to try some curlformers, your curls turned out fab! Detangling before washing is definitely a must for me too I'd be about ready to cry if not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! Curlformers are definitely a worthy investment! I wish that I'd tried them sooner!

      Delete
  4. You're the pro on perfecting curls with curlformers. Sleek and beautiiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KLP I don't which one to pick the styles all look good on you.


    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are too cute!! i love the curlformers bun on you :-)
    Where do you get your Jessicurl from? I would like to try their cleanser. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can purchase in Sallys or online at www.jessicurl.com. I love the way that this shampoo cleans my scalp without stripping my hair. PLUS it doesn't tangle my curls. #winning

      Delete
    2. Ok I have to take a trip to Sally's and SOON. I heard that I can also get the Mielle Organics line there too? I would normally purchase my staple TRUE DC but I'm eager to try some new stuff so what better time than now :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes!! I saw Mielle Organics there the last time that I went in!

      I truly do LOVE Jessicurl so I hope that your hair loves it too!

      Delete
  7. I love it KLP! What did you use to pin your hair for the side bun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I used a stretched out hair tie. Hmm...should I post a full tutorial on this style?

      Delete
  8. Love the braid bun, I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its one of my fave super chic but stupid easy styles! I know that it will look amazing on you Alex!

      Delete
  9. I love your curls and both styles you created were really nice. I did a full bun on my hair which is usually my go to style when I want a fancier look.

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!