Wednesday, January 06, 2016

[Tutorial] How To Use Caruso Steam Rollers on Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience



My heatless blowout (Click here for the tutorial) last week allowed me to sport an array of high and low buns with ease. My hair started to feel a little dry, but I didn't want to wash my hair just yet, so I whipped out my steam rollers.





I've been yelling my love for Caruso Steam Rollers for almost 2 years now, but I've yet to give you guys an inside look at how I do them. Until today!

*cue the dramatic drum roll*



Let's change that! Here's how I got these big bouncy curls:
  1. Start with stretched hair. (I stretched my hair using Curlformers and then a heatless blowout)
  2. Divide the hair into 8 sections.
  3. Very very lightly moisturize and seal your hair. (I used a mist of my DIY Moisturizing Spray and a little hair butter)
  4. Now it's time to install the steam rollers. Set up your steamer. For these curls, I only used the small size rollers. I place the roller on the steam for about 10 seconds. 
  5. Using a small section of hair in the back, divide it in two, two strand twist it once, then coil the hair to the ends.
  6. Holding the bottom of coiled hair, place your roller near your roots, then wrap the hair around the roller clockwise. 
  7. Place the cap on the roller. 
  8. Then repeat until all of your hair is rolled. Let the rollers dry for at least 30 minutes until the curls are set. (Pressed for time? Sit under a hooded dryer for 10 minutes on high then 5 minutes on cool.)
  9. Once your curls are set, remove the rollers.
  10. Fluff your roots using your fingers. (This will get rid of those parts.)
  11. Then gently separate your curls to give your hair volume. (Aren't you glad that you two strand twisted the root? It makes separating the curl soooo much easier and prevents frizz!)
  12. Mist the curls with hair spray. (Try a light spray of Chi Enviro Flex Hold Hair Spray keeps my curls in place without making my hair crunchy. )
I'd usually reserve this light bouncy style for a warm summer day, but chile, the heat and humidity of this beach town won't let me be great! It looks like this would only be an early winter/spring style for now! 



So what do you think? Yay or nay? (you know that I had to take a quick selfie too!)

Let's get 2016 started off right! Share your #washdayexperience too!



18 comments:

  1. Love the pictorial! Your hair looks super soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really soft. I was pretty surprised at how I was able to boost the moisture in my stretched hair without it reverting. #winning!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a YES! Your caruso steam-rolled curls look so soft and voluminous! I must definitely pull out my steam rollers soon. About how long do your curls usually last?

    Your tutorials are so helpful. Sharing away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steam rollers were a fantastic way to give my stretched hair a moisture boost without reverting it. I'll definitely do this again the next time that I stretch my hair too!

      Without hair spray---probably 24 hours
      With a really good mist of hair spray on each curl + pineaplling --48-72 hours

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  3. KLP you are the Queen of curls, I love the curls.

    NKM @ https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. found your blog this year and sooo happy i did ive been going through all your post like crazy i love them and your personalit. keep up the good work girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! You're crazy sweet! Thanks for reading chica. Fingers crossed that you found something helpful in all this madness!

      Delete
  5. Aww I don't have a blog but would have loved to do the January experience. Unfortunately I just installed mini twists lol. Your hair looks awesome btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still participate chica! You don't have to follow the themes or have a blog! !? If you have Instagram, share your #washdayexperience pic there and add it to our Linkup! Be sure to tag @savingourstrand and @justgrowalready so that we can share it with the rest of our healthy hair tribe!

      Delete
  6. This reminds me so much of a bantu knot out (which I usually fail at doing lol).
    So I've been saying I'm going to participate in this wash day experience and have neglected to do so :-( In my defense I was super overwhelmed! But I want to join in so I'll start with week 2 if that's ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jump in whenever you have a chance chica! We'd love to have you!

      And I totally agree with you. It looks like a bantu knot but better...because if the curl looks crazy when I take the rollers out, I can quickly reset it. Unlike bantu knots that take forever to set. LOL!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  7. I love love love your curls and the volume is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! Trust and believe that you guys will be seeing more steam roller curls in the future!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!