Thursday, August 21, 2014

[Life] A Love Letter To My Husband

2011

Within hours of meeting me, my husband's father said "You're going to be my daughter in law. You and DJ are like ying and yang. You'll fit perfectly together." Ever since that day, perfect is the only adjective that describes my marriage.  


A Perfect Mess.

My hubby and I live in a perfect dichotomy. A messy. A goofy. A complicated. A simple. A heart wrenching. A heart warming broken dichotomy. It's taken me 6 years to realize that my marriage is supposed to be this way.


We're Perfectly Imperfect.


2010
I couldn't find the perfect material gift to give him this year for our anniversary, so I wrote him a perfectly imperfect love letter...
"I'm a great runner and I'm a great hider. I'm insincere and I'm boastful. I'm blunt and I'm impatient. I'm rude and I'm cold. I've never quite felt worthy. I've never quite felt like I wasn't alone. I've never quite understood why I should be loved. The walls that that I have up were initially built for protection, now they are like a prison for my heart. I'm beautifully jacked up and imperfect in almost every way. But here you are. Beside me. You are patient with me anyway. You are tolerant with me anyway. You are persistent anyway. You stay anyway. You fight for me anyway. You won't let me run anyway. You love me anyway. Thank you for loving me.

I've been terrified to let you in; Afraid that you'll really see what perfectly jacked joker up I am.
You'll run the other way...
You'll run faster than I could possibly chase...
You'll run like everyone else...

But today, I'm standing before you fearless. I'm not afraid to be compassionate anymore. I'm not afraid to be kind anymore. I'm not afraid to be gentle anymore. I'm not afraid to be patient anymore. I'm not afraid to let you love me---even with all of my mess---anymore. I'm not afraid to just be still--To just be close. I want to be closer to you and I understand that I can't get closer to you with a veil between us. Will I be perfect? Never. Will it be hard? Always. I'm a perfect mess and I thank you in advance for loving me regardless."
2012

I'm so thankful for my perfectly imperfect marriage and I'm even more grateful for the realization that perfection is totally overrated.

Besitos!
KLP

Wondering how I came to my a-ha moment? Take a took at Jennifer Smith's A Wife After God. I promise that it will change your life and your marriage.

35 comments:

  1. This is soo sweet, Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that is so sweet! Iove how you colour coordinate your clothes so cute! Happy Anniversary KLP and Mr.KLP:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! #dontjudgeme but we always color coordinate! I'm just that corny!

      Delete
  3. Aww that is really beautiful and you two make perfect little babies lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, the letter was simply beautiful. You guys look great together, and y'all children are adorbs!

    Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbii! It was hard to be so transparent but my hope is that it encourages others to do the same with their significant other.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversaty to you and your Hubby. May God continue to draw you closer to each other and bless your union. We are all perfectly flawed but when we find our heart's mate to love and accept us inspite of those imperfections, that's when the magic happens!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My marriage is the EPITOME of the pharse "...but God."

      Being married to the military ain't easy....but God...

      Having two kids in two years ain't easy...but God...

      Finding compromise between the two must stubborn people in the world ain't easy...but God...


      God's been sooooo good to us!

      Delete
  6. Wow that was so sweet! Happy Anniversary! May God bless your marriage and family always.
    I agree Savvy Sammy^^ #WellSaid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful letter and happy anniversary!
    Btw- your children are beautiful I see both you and your husband in both of them.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Most people think that my minions are a spitting image of the hubster so I thank the sun, moon, and stars that you can see me in them! LOL!

      Delete
  8. Cutest family I know!!! Happy Anniversary! Family is always in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!!!! This was a beautiful and thoughtful letter. The simplest and little things in life makes the world of difference. Gorgeous family photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! My hubby loved the letter, I think that it was far more appreciated than anything that I could have bought!

      Delete
  10. Such a heartfelt letter, happy anniversary to you both. Your family is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet :) God bless your Family.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! How totally appropriate that 'Anniversary' by Tony Toni Tone is playing as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna have Anniversary stuck in my head for the rest of the day because of you! Ha-ha!

      Delete
  13. Hope you had a beautifully blessed anniversary. What a sweet letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fabulous time Diva! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby too!

      Delete
  14. Happy anniversary! Such a beautiful letter! Blessing to your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary! I'm a sap so I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! Every time that I re-read it I get a lump in my throat! Thanks for stopping by Yalanda! Are you guys enjoying Korea?

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!