Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winter Relaxed Hair Tips



Winterizing Your Relaxed Hair 
The cold temperatures, wind, and dry indoor heat has made keeping my hair moisturized a challenge this winter. Here are some ways that I'm keeping my hair moisturized whilst warding off breakage this winter: 

Find an air drying method that works for you: 
Wet hair in the winter isn't really my cup of tea, but blow drying (with high heat) or using the flat iron daily isn't going to help my already thirsty hair. My air drying method of choice right now is (faux) banding. I detangle in sections, apply my leave ins, gently stretch my hair and secure with croc clips then let dry. Not only does the tension prevent tangles at my roots, but it also smooths my hair and is the perfect base for big voluminous buns. If banding isn't your thing, try a roller set or tension blowout with cool air.

Stock up on your favorite creamy leave in:
Winter weather will laugh as your light watery leave in. Creamy leave ins that absorb and deeply nourish are musts in the winter. My favorites are Herbal Essences Split End Protector and y'all know that I can not say enough about Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner

Consider adding a shot of protein to your ends:
Protein is only one factor preventing breakage and aiding in length retention, but I do believe that all hair can benefit from a little protein power, especially on your ends. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair and it totally needs a lot of love. My hair loves silky protein serums. Here are my go tos: Chi Silk Infusion or Organix Coconut Milk Serum.

Seal it with a buttery kiss---of Hair butter:
I'm trying to be more mindful of what my ends do and how I treat them. I'm convinced that if I can keep my ends moisturized, protected, and strong---especially this winter, I'll finally make it out of BSL land. We all know that we need to seal our hair. But sealing with a hair butter that is chocked full of nourishing butters, oils, and nutrients will protect hair from damage, deeply moisturize and ease manageability. I love making my Kitchenista hair butter but if you're not about that DIY life, check out Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter (Heavenly Delight). You won't regret it!

How has your regimen changed this winter? Share your tips below!

Besitos!
KLP

23 comments:

  1. Adding protein to your ends is a must during the winter. Great tips, doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline! Have you found it helpful for you this winter?

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of faux banding before. I'm thinking about taking my hair out of these sections to check on my hair so banding might work for me!!!

    Great post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing tips. I really have to clue up on winter tips, my hair is so thirsty, I thought all my hair products stopped working, I have really gotten heavy handed on the butters and sealants.
    Do you have a post on how you airdry with the braids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yvonne! Did you mean how I air dry by faux-banding? If so, here's a direct link to my post about it: Stretching Your Hair Without Heat (Faux Banding)

      Delete
  4. This winter weather is really attacking my hair! I've been relying on layering products in an attempt to keep it moisturised. Wonderful tips x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I can prevent my hair from drying out---I feel like I'll totally be loving the spring!

      Delete
  5. Since I live in the tropics I can't relate but you have got some awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! You're sooo lucky! What I would do for a little warm sun on my face and sand between my toes!

      Delete
  6. Protein also helps with the uptake and absorption of moisture into the hair. Wonderful tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips. I guess I should count myself lucky because I on't have to go through winter (I live within the tropics) :) I will use these tips for the colder months though

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, thank you for sharing!
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sweat Andrea! I've heard that the cold is even hitting sunny Florida!

      Delete
  9. great post hun, wish I read when my hair was still relaxed lol!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst, I'm not natural (anymore) I think that these tips would have worked well for me then too. I suppose that there's nothing to lose by trying right? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. These are such great tips. With it being warm one minute, then cold the next, I didn't even realize how dry and thirsty my hair really was. I need to head to amazon and stock up on HE Split End Protector. I'm gonna have to start adding the CHI Silk Infusion to my ends as well.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is really no joke. It was 60 on Sunday now it's 32 and I'm miserable with a sore throat. Stupid winter! Ha-ha!

      Thanks for stopping by love!

      Delete
  11. The protein on my ends trick really works well. i tried it once and my ends stopped acting like spoiled brats. I love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a helpful post! I need to buy the heat protector cream...i've been lagging on that big time!
    Can you tell me how to curl with a wand?

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!