Wednesday, February 04, 2015

[Hairstyle] Wash Day | Perm Rods on Natural Hair


When I purged my product stash a few weeks ago, I realized that I if I buy another conditioner without using up something first, I deserve to be drop kicked in the teeth. I like my teeth. I don't like being drop kicked and I really like my teeth so I grabbed some of the (sorta) newbies for this week's #washdayexperience



  1. Pre-Shampoo- To start, I gently detangled and applied OGX Argan Oil of Morocco to my hair. I let it sit covered in a plastic cap and scarf for an hour or so.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. Then shampooed with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention shampoo twice.
  3. Extreme Deep Condition- I applied Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque from root to tip to my damp hair, massaged a little extra virgin coconut oil in, covered with a plastic cap and got comfortable under my heat cap again for about an hour.
  4. Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the t-shirt to dry a bit more.  
  5. Leave-ins- I applied a little Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk and a dab of my hair butter then set my hair on about 30 purple and white perm rods using end papers overnight. 


The Results: 
OGX Argan Oil of Morocco isn't actually a newbie. I've used it for years. I especially love it as a co-wash and now I know that it's perfect as a pre-shampoo too. My hair instantly felt moisturized and of course it also instantly reverted (after been stretched all week). The back half of my hair is completely natural and I'm really digging the curl pattern while its wet, but my bangs have 2-3 inches of wavy, curly texlaxed bits on the ends. I'm reminded every time that I pre-shampoo that I really need to figure out what to do about it. My last relaxer (July 2013) was ridiculously under-processed to the point that it is hard to tell where the texlaxed curls/waves meet my natural curl. I'm hoping that with time (a bit of protein and a bit of moisture) my curl pattern (or lack there of one) reveals itself. But I have no stinkin idea how long that takes!


My hair has a LOOOVVVEEEE/HHHAAAATTTEEE relationship with Shea Moisture products. My love for Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie runs 5 years deep. It's the perfect holding product for my bantu knots. But everything else that I've tried from the Shea Moisture line---meh...not so much. Remember this #washdayexperience catastrophe with the rest of the Coconut & Hibiscus products? Yeah...


Of the three Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter products that I used today, one was "if I don't have anything nice to say then I won't say anything at all," another was "I'm gonna finish it but I won't enjoy it," and the other was "OMG OMG OMG OMG Can I buy this by the gallon?" I usually don't do reviews on products until I finish the bottle but if you need a good moisturizing leave in, RUN---do not walk---and get yourself several bottles of the Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk. IT. IS. AMAZING!

I like to install my perm rods on damp---not wet hair. (I cringe at the thought of manipulating my soaking wet hair) So, I dry my hair for a while wrapped in a cotton t-shirt then start the perm rod installation process. It takes me over 90 minutes to get it done, especially with these smaller rods. If the section is too dry, I like to mist it with a little Nexxus Humctress Luxe Leave In. I didn't like this product at all as a leave in on my texlaxed hair, but I LOVE it for my natural hair! (You could probably use a little mist of water and get the same effect though...)

I loved everything about this set of perm rods. How silky smooth my hair was. The shape of my curls. The shine. Ugh. When I walked around my house, I may or may not have twirled with each turn. 

It was definitely a good #washdayexperience! How was yours?

Besitos!
KLP



16 comments:

  1. You are like the perm rod master! Before the humidity of the South kicks in for Spring, I will try my hand at a curl set. Probably flexi rods because I am inspired! And I have an idea of which products match your reactions. I have similar impressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets hit or miss with Shea Moisture

      Delete
  2. Oh KLP, you kill me each week. You make me wanna ditch my waist-length hair goals and just cut my hair to shoulder length. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovin your curls, beautiful as always! u make me wanna run to the shops and get perm rods :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! The curls are back in full effect! LOVE the fluffiness of them. Shea moisture products are hit or miss with me also but Gurllllllllll you have to try their new DC Manuka Honey and Mafura oil intensive hydration hair masque. I used that this past wash day and my hair is on cloud 9. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soft springy curls. Your hair looks extremely smooth and the shine is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your results are amazing! I love the shine and how bouncy your hair is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently started using my Extra Moisturizing Transitioning Milk and it's FANTASTIC. I use it to moisturize my hair and it lasts for 2 days. :-)

    Your hair looks great. I may be motivated to try my perm rods again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Week after week your curls give me life! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a love hate relationship with Shea moisture products too! But your curls! Perm rod sets always look great on you!!! I need to learn how to manage them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, Girl you have patience, and it pays off every time! Your hair looks fab! as usual :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Amazing results. Can you do a follow up (maybe next wash day) of Day 2 to (whenever) hair? It's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your curls, your hair looks amazingly soft and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your perm rod set, so beautiful <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The curls look lovely.
    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!