Wednesday, November 05, 2014

[Hairstyle] Caruso Steam Rollers | WashDayExperience


I'm so bored with my hair I could just scream. Usually, I have a plan of attack and style in mind before I start my #washdayexperience but this week---nothing. Nada. Zip. I love me some perm rods but I'm not that quick on the installation tip (it takes me roughly 1 1/2 hours), my bantu knot curls have been hit or miss (with mostly misses and updos), I've been really itching to give myself a good flat iron + trim (especially since my terrible detangling mishap caused me to snip several knots out of my hair). As I sat looking stupid at my freshly deep conditioned hair, opted for the down and dirty quick route: a tension blow dry and caruso steam rollers. Plus---I've gotta hot date with the hubby tonight. #woot Here's how my #washdayexperience went:



  1. Pre-Poo-  I detangled my hair in about 8 sections then applied Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from root to tip. I covered with a plastic cap and let it sit for a few hours.
  2. Shampoo- Working in with each section, I massaged a little diluted Matrix Hydrasource Shampoo, lightly detangled and rinsed. 
  3. Extreme Deep Condition- Next, I applied Matrix Hydrasource Conditioner to my roots and Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe from the line of demarcation to my ends. Afterwards, I applied a little extra virgin coconut oil from root to tip to seal in the conditioner. I covered with a plastic cap and let marinate overnight.
  4. Tea Rinse- I hopped in the shower to rinse the conditioner section by section. Then I applied my tea rinse of 2 green tea bags + 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of glycerin. I let the mixture sit on my hair for about 5 minutes.
  5. Detangling Treatment- I rinsed the tea then applied a Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  6. Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  7. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize and extra virgin coconut oil to seal, then tension blow dried my hair.


The results:
Towards the end of last week, my hair started to feel awkward. A little coated and a lot dirty.  My moisturizer wasn't absorbing like it usually does. I knew that for this wash day, I'd need to shampoo. Shampooing once a month typically does the trick for me. In between, I'll use my shampoo bar or cleansing conditioner if necessary. 

I don't tension blow dry my hair often because I well---I'm not just not that great at handling my blower. I kinda fumble with the controls and always find a way to spray air into my face. I have no clue how Jeni (the bestest co-host in the world, btw) does it so flawlessly!



I let the steam rollers cool for about 30 minutes before unraveling and apply a little Chi Silk Infusion. If you guys haven't realized by now...I love that stuff! I apply it to my freshly rinsed deep conditioned hair to aid in detangling and for a light shot of protein. I also love the way that it gives my hair super shine. 

How was your #washdayexperience? Share the details below!

Besitos!
KLP



24 comments:

  1. I love Caruso Rollers. I have a tutorial that I have been procrastinating on editing. LOL I have three full set (steamer included) of Caruso Rollers. Yep, I love'em!

    Tiki | Grow It Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh! 3 sets....girl I can'teven imagine the head full of curls that I could get with THREE sets of rollers. Which size is your favorite?

      Delete
  2. Caruso Rollers for the win!! I need to dust off my rollers and get to work. I was nervous about using them on my transitioning hair but I may have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great for transitioning tresses! This time I'd cold air blow dried my hair just to stretch and blend my textures together. I usually just band my hair, let it dry, then install the rollers. Both methods yield pretty amazing curls! Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  3. Your curls just look cute. and it only took 30 minutes! Mmmmhhh thinking very seriously about those steam rollers. Love Chi silk infusion too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 30 minutes girl! For gorgeous curls that last ALL day. I haven't really discovered a way to preserve the curl overnight, but with installation time at about 15 minutes---It's not that big of a deal to re-do them in the morning +1 to steam rollers!

      Delete
  4. Have fun on your hot date. We don't get to do that a lot because of the kids. Your hair looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get out a lot solo either! That's why we're totally going to make the most of our date night! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  5. I love the results you got from those steam rollers. I keep eyeing them when I got to Sally's. Think I need to add these to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally caved and bought them when I had a 25% coupon during the summer. So if you're a Sally's member---wait until then to buy it! I think that mine ended up being under $30. And I'd gladly buy another set if something happened to mine today or tomorrow. I love them that much!

      Delete
  6. You have such a lovely smile! Gorgeous curls KLP x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....You're making a brown girl blush! Thanks so much Lesley! I'm such a ham for the camera---if you don't see me smiling in a picture then something is definitely wrong!

      Delete
  7. You look so adorbs KLP and your curls are to die for!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbii!! This is my favvveeee (semi) homemade jeweled headwarmer. It's sooo warm!

      Delete
  8. You are so beautiful. Does your hubby ever say anything about your hair or your hair journey... That's something I always think about for the ladies who are married/dating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ay dios...Thanks Harlem!!! Girl, You make my heart melt! You're soo sweet!

      At times (well maybe all the time) my hubby thinks that I'm a little crazy about my hair but I do think that he appreciates that I make an effort to look nice for him. Because I usually wear my hair up, he was REALLY surprised when I had my hair in cascading curls for our date night today. He actually did a double take!

      I tell him all the time: "Marrying a curly haired girl means that you get two wives because I took totally different with curls vs straight hair!"

      Delete
  9. I hear you! Bored has been the name of my game lately with my hair! I finally decided I wanted to wear it straight for a while. I've been blow drying on cold using the tension method and stretching my natural hair (not straightening) using low, low heat. It's made a huge difference and I'm not losing nearly the amount of shed or broken hairs between washing. Not only that washing has been so much easier and I'm losing next to no hair in the shower. It's working so I'm going with it at least for now. I still wear mostly protective styles to save my ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart move Yalanda! You gotta go with what works best for your lifestyle and your hair! I always see less shedding when my hair is on the stretched/straighter side. My theory: The shed hairs have less friction from the rest of your hair so its easier to remove them without causing collateral damage.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Awesome results! Love the beanie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! It's one of my favorites because it's sooo warm!

      Delete
  11. I really struggle with getting rollers that are big enough for my hair. I need to look into these steam rollers but I won't get too excited just in case I can't find them in south Africa again. (the story of my life)

    I love the Chi silk infusion too! Would you call it a leave in conditioner? a detangler? when ever people ask me what it is I just mumble (ha!) then I tell them they need to try it to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I'd best describe Chi Silk Infusion as a heat protectant serum. Of course it has tons of other benefits like:
      - Provides shine
      - Assists in detangling (because of the slip)
      - Strengthens (because of the Silk proteins)
      - Provides softness and manageability

      I did a review on it in 2013. You can check it out here: Product Review: Chi Silk Infusion

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!