Thursday, January 30, 2014

How To Protect Your Ends With Protein Layering


I've hoovered in BSL land for almost 2 years now and I've so over it. I'm convinced that if I can keep my ends moisturized, protected, and strong---I'll finally make it into MBL. So, a few weeks ago, thanks to this post from Nadege over at Relaxed Hair Health, I was introduced to the idea protein layering. 
  
Protein is a finicky topic for some, so here are my two cents: I think that all curly hair can and benefit from protein powered products. Protein Layering is a technique where by you only apply your protein products to your ends only. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair. They dry out faster, have had the most manipulation, and are constantly exposed to wear and tear. Whilst, I won't know how well it's benefited my ends until I straighten my hair later this week, I have noticed a steady decrease in broken hairs. Here is how I've used protein layering on my hair:

(Protein) Pre-Shampoos:
I use coconut oil several times during my wash day routine. My favorite is in my pre-shampoo. I love applying extra virgin coconut oil to my unwashed hair and letting my hair absorb it before I wash. Coconut oil is high in protein and naturally penetrates the hair shaft leading to softer hair. I adore coconut oil's assistance in detangling my hair and that it alleged prevents hygral fatigue. Wondering what in the world that is? Check out this article on RelaxedThairpy

(Protein) Conditioning:
Usually, I deep condition by applying a nourishing conditioner to my hair and layering an oil on atop to seal the moisture in before covering with a plastic cap. Then, I sit under indirect heat for at least 30 minutes and rinse with cool water. I've kicked this up a notch by applying a super moisturizing conditioner on my roots and then a protein rich conditioner from the line of demarcation (the place were my roots meet the chemically processed length) to my ends. So far, my favorite protein conditioners to use have been Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Mask and Joico K-pak Reconstructor.

(Protein) Leave Ins: 
Serums have been my go to for protein leave ins. They absorb easily, assist in detangling, and provide excellent shine. I've noticed that when I use Chi Silk Infusion and Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum during the week, I don't have of those itty bitty broken hairs on the bathroom counter when I'm doing my hair.

One place in my regimen where I've restricted protein use is in shampoos. My hair hates shampoo. I'm sure that adding a blast of protein would only make it worse. 

Have you tried protein layering? What products do you use?

Besitos!
KLP

18 comments:

  1. Great post! I need to keep up with adding protein to my routine but I have few protein based products. I'm also trying not to buy any more products for a while so can't buy any more
    Realllyyy want to try chi though!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're done with your "no buy" pick up the mini bottle. It runs about $10 USD. It's small but it will last forever and a day!

      Thanks for stopping by doll!

      Delete
  2. I am so scared of using too much protein, but I know it would be so beneficial to my hair. I need to get over my fear if it'll prevent breakage x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protein is definitely tricky. For example, my ends love protein conditioners and serums. Protein sprays---not so much.

      Delete
  3. I've been using EVCO as my first choice for prepooing. Also use Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Restructurizer as my leave in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to swear my Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Restructurizer but my hair started to rebel against it. I probably over did it!

      Delete
  4. Great Post! I have noticed those little broken hairs on my bathroom floor for the last two weeks. I think i will try using a protein conditioner on my ends and see how that goes.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to go easy on protein but I will invest in the Organix product for my ends, I was getting those itty bitty little hairs and I have just had the ends trimmed off, If I can keep those at bay I will be very happy.

    www.myeverydaytreats.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the Organix serum. It's so silky and absorbs into your hair very easily. Plus the scent is amazeballs!

      Delete
  6. I will try this method and see how it goes. My hair loves protein and lately I started using cantu sheabutter on my ends only...the last 4 inches and I liked it better than applying from root to tip. And anything coconut oil appeals to me.....I loooooove coconut oil soooooooooooo much!!

    www.ghlonghair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know what I'd do without my extra virgin coconut oil. I think that it's one of the only products that I've used my entire hhj. That says a lot because I'm definitely a product junky!

      Delete
  7. I use Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage serum and ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructuizer. I did not know coconut oil was high in protein, I use it in my oil mix during my m&s sessions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut oil is literally a jack of all trades. I love that stuff!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Since I have not been washing as often as I would like I have been using a touch of Aphogee green tea on my ends to help curb breakage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. coconut oil has no protein properties in it it is only pressed from seeds....

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!