Wednesday, June 15, 2016

10 Things to Know Before You Use Henna On Your Natural Hair

Since introducing henna into my natural hair regimen, I've noticed a ton of positives. Henna is strengthening; I have less breakage. The color is stunning in natural light. But I've also noticed slight changes in my curl pattern. If you are considering henna, here is a list of 10 things you need to know before you start:


PERMANENT

Henna is permanent. It's a natural plant. It's not a chemical create in a lab nor is it ink. The henna plant only makes one color: Red.

CUMULATIVE

The effect of henna on your hair color is cumulative--meaning that each time you do a treatment, your color will get deeper and richer. It takes a few days for your henna to fully oxidize and produce the finished effect.

HEAT

Using a warm henna paste + sitting under the dryer after applying your henna will give your hair a deeper richer color.

RELATED: How to use Lush Henna on Natural Hair


DOES NOT LIGHTEN HAIR

Henna can not lighten your hair tone. Henna  does not open the cuticle and lift or lighten your hair's natural hair pigment. Henna coats your hair like a varnish, which means your individual shade sits underneath the henna, creating a color that's unique to you. Essentially, henna stains your hair the same way that a beet will stain whatever it touches. The result is a mix of the red from the beet and whatever color the object was before the beet touched it.

INDIGO

Indigo is not henna. It's another plant that can be used to dye/stain your hair. When mixed with henna it creates brown hues.

CASSIA

Cassia obovata is not henna. It's another plant that can be used to dye/stain your hair. Cassia has a yellow tint that typically doesn't show up on dark hair. Thus it's been called "neutral henna" because it has many of the same benefits of henna without the color.

RELATED: Lush Caca Rouge Results (3rd Application)

Curl Loosening Theory From JC @ NaturalHairHaven

CURL LOOSENING

Henna can loosen your curl pattern. According to my favorite Curly Scientist, with each henna application your hair absorbs the henna, but it also absorbs water. The henna + water combo weighs the strands down thus elongating the curl. If you strip all the science-y stuff away, to me, it sounds like henna can "over-moisturize" your hair depending on your hair's texture, porosity, and the frequency of henna use. I have noticed that my curls are more elongated following my henna applications. However, my curl returns to normal a few days later. My curl definition has also changed. When my hair is wet, it's a bit more frizzy, however when it dries (for example in a wash and go) the definition is actually greater and it lasts.

DRYING

Henna can be drying. The drying affects of henna can be combated by applying an oil to your hair before application, adding moisturizing ingredients to your recipe or deep conditioning your hair after application. I like to deep condition for at least an hour under my hooded dryer or over night after henna treatments.

APPLICATION

Applying henna to damp hair makes the application process easier. I like to co-wash my hair before applying my henna paste.

STRAND AND PATCH TEST

Always perform a patch test on your skin then a strand test on your hair of your henna paste before using. This video by Chemese about her severe allergic reaction to what she thought was henna should be enough to convince you. Because I love my hair and I can be stupid paranoid, I've only used Lush's Caca Rouge. Lush's henna treatments are premixed and reputable.

For right now, the pros of henna outweigh the negatives. I'm extremely happy with the health of my hair and the hair is EVERYTHING!

If you are a henna pro--share your experience with henna below. If you're a henna newbie---feel free to ask questions!

Besitos!
KLP





25 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing now I am more knowledgeable about henna, I must say that your color is lovely!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica. I'm definitely in LOVE with the color!

      Delete
  2. This was extremely helpful and after reading I think I want to try indigo rather than henna...maybe next year. I feel so overwhelmed with "stuff" this year and I really want to research it for myself because I see far more ladies using henna than indigo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your time and do your own research to figure out what will work best for you! I have one more application of my Lush Henna, then I'm considering trying "real" henna. LOL. I'm not looking forward to all the mixing, waiting, etc. But I'm really curious!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  3. Very helpful and so informative. I am afraid of henna but you've given me hope. Maybe one day.

    Jay | RelaxedThairapy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally remember being a little weary of henna. But now that I've tried it---I really like it!

      Delete
  4. And i just hennad my hair this past Sunday:) As a henna head myself i concur 100% with all you have said. I also find that when i mix my henna with vinegar it gives it a much deeper hue than lemon juice for example. The only downside to henna for me is having to clean the shower lol i keep saying it leaves my shower looking like a crime scene on rinsing hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAASSS!! My shower always looks like a massacre! LOL.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing these info! I've been considering henna for over a year now. After this I'm still interested in trying it. Now I just have to work up the nerve and find the right recipe for my hair.

    Adventures of a Nappy Chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcomes Jacqueline! I love using the Lush Henna blocks because its soo easy to make!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these tips. I will never say never, but it is not on my do-do list right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything is for everybody right? Thanks for reading chica!!

      Delete
  7. You are making me re-think using henna. Great info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks KLP, I didn't know the heat part of henna. I must do it again its been a while since I have visited my henna treatments.

    https://naturallykinkyme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat encourages the dye to release faster. At least that's what the Lush girls told me at the store! And I actually do believe them!

      Delete
  9. Hiya. I dont really understand how to link up to the wash day experience, how to copy the badge code etc? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica! Shoot me an email at teamsavingourstrands@gmail.com and I'll give you all of the details. (You can also find them here: How To Join The #WashDayExperience

      Delete
  10. Yessss I love the tint on your hair! It looks very natural. I have always thought of doing henna, but then I think twice when I try to imagine how my bathroom tiles would look. Will your hair become black again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I haven't had any staining in my bathroom. But when I'm rinsing---I swear it looks like a crime scene! LOL!

      Henna is permanent. I doubt that my hair will return to its natural hair, but I do think that if I stop using henna, then the color will fade.

      Delete
  11. Been dreaming of henna, I actually thought indigo was also in the henna fam, great post! Loving your colour!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I think that we all link henna, cassia, and indigo in the same Ayurvedic bunch. But they are all just a little bit different!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the informative post KLP. I've been itching to apply henna on my hair for a while now. I will keep this handy in case I do it in the future.

    You hair colour looks lovely

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!