Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How To Make Your Own Co-Cleanser

I try to love shampoo. I really do. I've only found one shampoo that I think is decent (Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo) but that still leaves 4-5 full bottles of shampoo that won't get used any time soon. Recently, I used the Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream, this cute little co-cleanser that claims to hydrate whilst still cleaning your tresses. Although, I didn't know what to make of the product, I do know one thing- I liked the way that my hair felt afterwards. No tangles. No stripped feeling. Slightly moisturized. I mean, seriously what's not to like about that? So, I'm on the co-cleanser bandwagon, but refuse to buy another shampoo. What should I do? Go kitchenista:

How to Make Your Own Co-Cleanser:

  1. One part Shampoo: a good co-cleanser still needs a little something something to clean your tresses. I keep that something something to a minimum. Use as much as you want.
  2. Two parts Oil: Nothing revives my hair from a tangled bird's nest like coconut oil. Be proactive instead of reactive by adding a bit to your mix. 
  3. Three parts Conditioner: In order for this mix to work, you've gotta have more conditioner than shampoo. Choose one that's cheap, but effective and does a decent job of lightly moisturizing your tresses. 

Troubleshooting: 

  1. Don't expect suds- This mix won't lather well or give you that sudsy feeling like regular shampoo. It will however gently clean without tripping your tresses. 
  2. It's thick- Yes, it's going to be thick. Yes, you'll want to store it in a jar or a narrow tip applicator bottle. Yes, youll definitely use more than a dime sized amount to wash all that thick hair on your head. Yes, you still need to deep condition afterwards. 
  3. Make a little at a time- Do not go and make a gallon tub of co-cleanser if you're not going to use it straight away. Ha-ha! I guess-estim
    ate that a batch will last about 2 weeks before you might want to trash it. Keep it in the fridge just in case.
Rats! Your first Kitchenista co-cleanser was a fail. Well, don't fret. Try again with more of whatever it was lacking. Reach for more conditioner if your tresses weren't quite moisturized enough. Maybe add a little Aloe Vera Juice if it's too thick. Cut out the oil if you felt like your hair was greasy or coated.

Have you ever used a co-cleanser? What characteristics are you looking for it in?

Besitos!
KLP

20 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I need to try this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to use up ordinary shampoo and "not as great as the hype" conditioners.

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this! Thanks chica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea. I have never been a kitchenista but this looks like something I can cook up in 2mins, so will definitely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is definitely "semi" kitchenista. There's not much measuring required and it only takes a minute or two to do.

      Delete
  4. Great idea! My favorite co cleanser in hair one...perfect for my cowashing days! I also love the Shea moisture retention shampoo...never leaves my hair feeling stripped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't met a Shea Moisture product that I didn't like yet!

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! I am going to try this! I might drop down the oil to one part and conditioner to two parts.
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part of this recipe---you can totally make it your own.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea! I have some shampoo that could use a boost!

    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until I can get rid of all of my not so fabulous shampoos via co-cleansers!

      Delete
  7. I want to try this...I have some shampoo I don't care for. Thanks girly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried and loved WEN. Thanks for the recipe. We get to use up shampoos and conditioners that we don't like... which makes more room in our stashes to buy more products. I don't even know how many birds you just killed with that stone... but thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTAMENTE!!!! Ha-ha! It's still going to take me a while to use up all of my shampoo but this technique will give me a running start!

      Delete
  9. Awesome post@ I will try this on my daughters desert hair. No matter how much I MnS her hair always feels like am toughing a brillo pad. smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Shampoo for my kiddos. We've had the 6oz bottle for a year now and still have 1/3 of it left because I use it sparingly. However, I load their hair in conditioner and it's really helped with manageability. Once the Hair Milk Shampoo is done, I'll probably go to a co-cleanser for them.

      Delete
  10. Glad you found something that works!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!