Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best of 2013: My Hair's Hits and Misses


Alas, I can't say adios to 2013 without recapping the best things (and the worse things) that happened to my hair. This year was full of new techniques, tips, and products so let's get started!

Hit: The Bun Effect
There is nothing boring about these buns honey! I protective style not just for my hair, but for ease and comfort. I have two little ones under 4, a demanding work schedule, a very busy super hero hubby, and I love working out. That leaves not so much time as I'd like to style my hair. Which makes me so thankful for the styles that I learned during The Bun Effect. Last May, I featured a different updo each day. May of which have made my weekly rotation!

Hit: Jessicurl Too Shea! 
My goal this year was to find a fabulous creamy leave-in to keep my thristy hair hydrated. Jessicurl inched forward and out smarted the competitors in the Battle of the Leave Ins in absorption and nourishment while not falling to the bottom of the pack in price per use or hydration. It's multi-facteted; allowing me to use it as a co-wash, deep conditioner, and daily moisturizer. Although I didn't care for the (not so sweet) Island Fantasy scent, they have two other options to choose from. It works the best with my hair butter, and provides some of the best detangling slip around. While I'm totally smitten with Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar, it's price per use was the highest. If Jessicurl ever fails me, this gem will be waiting in the wing.

Hit: Bantu Knots
When lurking around SavingOurStrands, you can't miss seeing shots of bantu knots. They are my thing. I used to be all about sleek straight gone with the wind fabulous hair, but this year I've been all about big bad curls. I've learned how to make them last for 4-5 days without having to manipulate my hair again. Plus, they stretch by 25 weeks post roots, blend all the textures in my hair, and force me to keep my hair moisturized to keep those defined curls looking beautiful. Bantu knots aren't the easiest curly set to master, but I promise you that once you get it---you'll love them too!


Hit: Tea Rinses
I can not say enough about tea rinsing. I. LOVE. IT. I talk about shedding. A Lot. A Whole Lot. I suffered a huge setback last spring (you can read about it here) and although it was a over year ago, the balls of hair that used to clog my shower drain still linger on fresh in my memory. This year, I made it my business to find products and implement techniques that could at least minimize my shedding and *fingers-crossed* prevent it. I can definitely say that tea rinsing is one of the reasons, I have very little shedding. Today, I mix it up a bit by adding Aloe Vera Juice and rosemary to my rinses. It's the bee's knees y'all!



Miss: Weekly Shampooing 

I try to love shampoo. I really do. I've only found one shampoo that I think is decent (Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo). My hair just behaves better when I skip shampoos more often than not. For the days that I do need to get rid of the gunk on my scalp, I've turned to Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream. It's non-stripping and non-tangling, but I utterly refuse to buy another shampoo until I've used up the 4-5 full bottles of shampoo sitting in my stash. Enter my DIY Co-Cleanser tip: 1 part shampoo + 2 parts oil + 3 parts conditioner = KLP's happy hair.


Miss: Braid-outs
Braidouts hate me. No seriously. I can't get a defined fluffy big braid out to save my life. I try. I fail. I try again. I fail again. However, the best part of a busted braid out is the way that it gives an updo life, honey! Y'all have met my Old Faithful 30 Second Style many many times. I've sported this style on straightened hair, air dried hair, bantu curled hair, and now {busted} braid out hair. I've done it so many times that I can do it without a mirror, one bobby pin, and in 30 seconds with a baby on my hip. Sometimes, I add a braided bang. Occasionally, I do a deep side part. Whilst, other times, I throw in a great hair accessory. I'm just going to stick to what I do best: bantu knots. 

What were your hair's hits and misses this year? Link up your compilation below! Prospero Año y felicidad!

PS: Tomorrow's Our 1st Blogiversary!!!!!!!! Can you believe that it's been a year already??







25 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I can definitely relate to the comfort and ease of buns. Frequent shampooing is a miss, using butters to seal is a hit. Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I love wearing my hair out but on a regular basis it's just a nuisance! Thanks for stopping by Takara! Happy New Years!

      Delete
    2. Here are my hair hit and misses

      1) Shea Butter is a blessing. I stopped sealing with oils and started sealing with 100% Shea Butter or Shea Moisture Transitioning Milk and my hair has been holding moisture better ever since.

      2) Frequent shampooing is drying, no matter how gentle the shampoo claims to be. I only shampoo once every 1-2 months, co-washing in-between. To avoid buildup I cut down on products with silicones especially those that are not water soluble.

      3) Deep Conditioning does not need to take the whole day. I cut my deep conditioning time down to a couple hours and did not notice a difference.

      4) Apple Cider Vinegar rinses are the best. I do an ACV rinse every washday after rinsing my deep conditioner out. It is supposed to help close the cuticles which is great for those of us who air dry.

      5) Preparing your hair for bed is a must. Not doing so is a recipe for disaster, knots, tangles, you name it. Even if I just put my hair in two big plaits it's better than nothing.

      Delete
    3. I neutralize on relaxer days with ACV. I'm not sure if my nose could get used to that smell every week. Ha-ha! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on braid outs. They are very hit or miss for me. I will try a bantu knot out soon. And you know my hair has been very well behaved post relaxer. I knew I'd miss a wash day because I was going to see my brother and take photos but I've been back almost a week and just getting around to the first post relaxer wash. Even with two good days at the gym in for the most part it's super happy still. I may have to toy around with the washes except during the swimming lessons. Can't have chlorine wearing out my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree about chlorine! I'm not about that life either! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a pretty good year to me. Wishing you all the success for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bantu knots look so beautiful. I cant wait to try those again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seemed to have a good time with your hair this year. Your bantu knots look amazing. Maybe I'll try them using your tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! Its been a relatively good year for my hair!

      Delete
  6. Happy new year!
    Not at all surprised your bantu knots are a hit, they're perfect!


    Mixed Hair

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know about the oil, but I have been mixing my shampoo with my conditioner for a while now, and it works. I will try the oil next time. I have always loved your bantu knot outs. Happy New Year, Babe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the oil to help with the tangles that usually reek havoc on my hair when using shampoo. Happy New Year doll!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post. The results from your bantu knots are stunning. I can never get them to look like that anymore. My hair just tangles into a big ole mess *pouts* x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bantu knots are really the only low manipulation set that I can do well. Braid outs hate me. No seriously. They realllly hate me!

      Delete
  9. The braid-out has to be a science of something that you have to go to school for. Lol I can't figure it out either. Lovely post and *woot woot* for tea rinses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a gazillion tutorials on braid outs and nothing works for me. I think that you have to have the "Braid-out Touch" to get them fabulous!

      Delete
  10. This was so fun to read! You guys really were creative with the buns and I loved it! I feel you on the shampoo and the braid-outs too. For some reason, my braid-outs always look limp and lifeless. Perhaps I'll try doing them with something different the next time I try them. Gonna try tea rinses for this post-partum shedding too.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dre! Check out my post on post-partum shedding. The first time that I saw that golf ball sized hair ball in my shower I cried. Its no fun but the good news is that after a few weeks, you're good to go.

      Besitos!

      Delete
  11. Your bantu knots are the truth! I'm on a wigging challenge for the year but I may have to take a week out to attempt a set on your behalf lol. Great year KLP, I'm loving a few of your styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish that I could commit to a yearly long term protective style challenge. But told be told, I love playing in my hair too much. Ha-ha. I'm such a lush! Thanks for cheering us on!

      Delete
  12. Thanks Betty! I probably wear them too much. But I just love those bouncy curls!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!