Wednesday, June 22, 2016

[Tutorial] Low Bun For Natural Hair

Y'all know that I love a good updo. I'm still living that wash and go life, but by the end of my hectic the day, my curls are usually in this low bun situation.  I love this low bun because it's voluminous, doesn't snatch my edges, and super comfortable. I don't have to use weave or one of those cute mesh donut thingamajigs either.



Here's how to get this low bun:



  1. Moisturize, detangle, and seal your hair. 
  2. Create a middle part. (Any part will do. I like the middle part because I struggle to get my bangs pulled back when I do a side part)
  3. Apply a product to tame our edges. I used Eco Styler Krystal Gel (buy it here). 
  4. Smooth your hair back into a low puff using a hair tie. I used my DIY Ribbon Hair Ties (here's how to make them). The key is not to double the hair tie. 
  5. Roll, tuck and pin your hair around the perimeter of the hair tie to form your bun. 
  6. Finish with a light mist of hair spray (I used Chi Enviro Flex Hold Hair Spray to keep your curls in place and tame frizzy flyaways.  

The best part of this updo is that it doesn't ruin my curls. At night, I take all the pins out, shake my hair out then band it. (here are the dets on how I band my hair) When I release the bands the next morning, all I have to do is fluff and go! This is how I wore my hair the next day!

How was your #washdayexperience? Anyone else sporting an updo this week?

Besitos!
KLP


 

12 comments:

  1. I wish I could move from style to style like that. If I style my WnG, it's a wrap! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My curls are super tight. I guess that shrinkage has its advantages. (But just this ONE advantage) LOL!!!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I haven't gotten the hang of smoothing my hair down or up into a pony or puff yet, but as I gain more length I know I'll be doing that a bit more. I love the side-do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my bangs were shorter---it was a real struggle but now I do my low buns like this---it's SOOO MUCH easier. And the shorter curls just get rolled up into the bun without me having to pull, poke and prod with them. #woot!

      Delete
  3. I am definitely going to try out this hair style and perhaps do a post on my blog. Lovely!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair is so gorgeous, love this <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading a wash day post feels like comming home!

    I have missed everybody and I look forward to a bit of catching up. I kept thinking i need to switch on my blogging before I get back to commenting but I realise that this is holding back my commenting life.

    So are you doing that Maximum hydration thing KLP? Your curl definition is amazing and I am wondering if this contributed in any way?.
    Just spotted an post on hair webbing (tile 7)... The story of my life I have to check it out... be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! So happy to have you back chica!

      You're not the only person who has asked me about MHM! I probably should do a posts about it. I'm not following the MHM right now although I do use a couple of the recommended products and techniques. The biggest difference between my regimen and MHM is that I love using protein conditioners to keep my curls strong and breakage resistant.

      I hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. I love that this bun doesn't kill future styles�� I feel like once you bun, that's it- you're bunning until wash day�� But you've given me hope with this technique, not that I'm anywhere near to the possibility of a bun just yet...just for future reference��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh Josie you have no idea how awesome it is NOT to ruin your curls with this style! In fact, I love that this bun stretches my roots a little to help elongate my curls!

      Your hair will be long enough to pull off this style in no time!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!