Tuesday, June 14, 2016

DIY Ribbon Hair Ties For Natural Hair

Have you ever struggled to find the right hair tie for your high puff or low bun? The new hair tie is too tight. The old hair tie has been stretched out too far. Let's not even try to count how many hair ties your hair has destroyed. The struggle is so real. But I have GENIUS solution for you: Make your own hair tie that is the perfect size and stretchiness for your 'do.

RELATED: How To Get The Perfect High Puff



Ribbon Elastic Hair ties are stupid easy to make; literally effortless. If you can tie a knot---then you can make a boat load of hair ties. Personally, these are my favorite hair ties for banding my wash and go. Banding with these hair ties doesn't cause breakage and prevents those weird indents that I get from regular hair ties.

RELATED: Perfecting Your Wash and Go with Banding
 

Benefits of Ribbon Elastic Hair Ties

  • No metal to snag your hair on
  • Ceaseless
  • Incredibly gentle
  • Stupid cheap
  • Comfortable
  • Always the perfect size
  • Customize your color

Here's what you'll need:
5/8" (or larger) Fold Over Elastic
Fabric Scissors
Ruler/ Measuring Tape
Optional: Candle flame/lighter to seal the ends



How To Make Ribbon Elastic Hair Ties

  1. Measure your fold over elastic. For medium hair ties, I used 11" of elastic. Large (think for your high puff) I used 20". And for headbands I used 28". 
  2. Cut your desired length. Regular scissors will due but fabric scissors are best. Fabric scissors are very sharp which will give your cut a clean edge.
  3. Match the ends together with the shiny side up. 
  4. Make a knot at the ends then slide the knot closed leaving about 1/2" at the end. 
Optional: You can use the flame from a candle or a lighter to seal the ends of the ribbon elastic to keep it from fraying. In my experience, this step isn't really necessary. Because I use very sharp fabric scissors, the ends of the ribbon rarely frays, even after heavy use.

Viola. You're done.  No more headaches from your headband being too tight and your puff or bun will still be slicked for the 'gawds.


Have your say! Would you use DIY Ribbons Hair ties?

Besitos!
KLP


8 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried the PuffCuff? I've pretty much abandoned hair ties, scrunchies, etc altogether for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been intrigued by the puff cuff. But I can make 50+ elastic hair ties for the price of one puff cuff. #ballinonabudget LOL

      Delete
  2. This is a good idea, I cannot count how many elastic hair ties have been overstretched by my hair over the years.

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here chica! I feel like store bought hair ties come to my house to die. LOL

      Delete
  3. Fold over elastic you say? Where do I find this? You mean I could have made my own ribbon ties instead buying the ones I have all this time. Dang it! Lol. I even took one that I had and tried to make a diy snappee knock-off. Lol Works pretty good. I'll be looking for that elastic though. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL!!!! Yes Andrea! It's that simple! I purchased my fold over elastic from Amazon. But you can get it in locally at a fabric/craft store. Psssttt...It's WAAYYYSS cheaper on Amazon tho!

      Thanks for stopping by chica! Miss your face!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant idea. Thanks KLP.

    https://naturallykinkyme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!