Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Perfecting My Wash and Go | The #WashDayExperience

I'm still in a little shock that my wash and go from last week actually lasted for 5 days. I didn't have to add any additional product and using banding to maintain my hair was so simple. Because I'm just not customized to only washing my hair once a week. I was really expecting my hair to be dry and my scalp to be itchy. Surprisingly it wasn't.



RELATED: How I Maintained My Wash and Go for 5 Days

I probably could have stretched my wash day one more day---but I decided not to push it. The one thing that I knew for sure was that I'd have to shampoo to remove all of the gel/castor oil/dirt/sweat that was bound to be on my hair and scalp. 

Here's what I used:



Pre-shampoo/Strengthening Treatment- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (review here)
Shampoo- Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (review here)
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here) + Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (shop it!)
Clay Rinse- Here's the dets on my recipe
Leave-Ins- Castor Oil (shop it!)+ Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here)
Styler- Eco Styler Krystal Gel (shop it!)


And here's how I did it:


I usually start my wash day with a pre-shampoo. My pre-shampoo sessions allow me to detangle/remove shed hair before I get into the shower and it gives my hair an extra boost of either moisture or protein. Because I already had a ton of build up on my hair, I wasn't sure that my pre-shampoo session would even be effective. But habits are hard to break. So I started by spraying my hair with my DIY moisturizing mist. This concoction is not just moisturizing---it's also fantastic at detangling my hair. After I sprayed each section, I slathered on a little warmed Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner. After a week of wearing my hair out, I wanted to add a little protein to my hair for strength and to combat breakage. I covered with a plastic cap and sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes.

With my hair secured in about 7 sections (4 in the back and 3 in the front), I rinsed the conditioner then shampooed with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (review here). I expected tangles and a week's worth of shed hair, but surprisingly the process was quick and tangle-free.

I t-shirt dried for a few minutes then applied my FAVEEEE deep conditioner Jessicurl Deep Treatment (review here). Next, I layered on a little Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (shop it!) to seal in the conditioner. I covered with a plastic cap and left it in overnight.


RELATED: Why I Deep Condition Overnight 

Wet hair after deep conditioning + castor oil


The next morning, I rinsed the conditioner then did my Clay Rinse treatment. Clay rinsing defines my curls giving them extra poppage. Made up word but whatevs... After applying the clay rinse in sections, I rinsed then applied some regular old castor oil (I used this one) to my soaking wet hair.
I rinsed my hair again to get my curls to clump up again. Out of the shower, I applied my moisturizing leave in, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) then sectioned off my hair to prep for applying the gel.


RELATED: How I Get My Curls To POP!



My Wash and Go Technique #2

I used the same exact technique from last week. Starting with the back, I spritzed it with water until it was soaking wet then finger detangled until my hair clumped into curls. Then I smoothed a little gel on the roots--but not on my scalp. Next, I raked a little more gel through all the way until the ends and gently shook out the curls. (aka the rake and shake technique)

The application process took me about 35-40 minutes to do. I let my hair air dry for a couple of hours. (about 3-4 hours) But that wasn't nearly enough time for it to dry, so I sat under my hooded dryer---set on cool--- for about 30 minutes.





My hair was a little damp at the roots, so I banded my hair using some extra wide hair ties. (these are my faves) Then let my hair dry overnight.

The next morning, all I had to do was remove the bands---which is super easy and doesn't cause breakage---shake my hair out a little then fluff.



Surprisingly, my hair actually felt more moisturized after this wash and go than it was after last week's wash and go. I attribute the extra moisture to applying regular old castor oil to my hair while it was soaking wet. I think that this technique helped seal my hair. Regular castor oil has a less pungent scent than JBCO so I'm glad that I switched plus it's soo much cheaper and the packaging makes it easier to use in the shower. Next week, I plan to switch to ribbon ties instead of the regular hair ties that I've been using. The regular hair ties leave dents in my hair--which I don't really mind, but I do worry if ribbon ties will work better. I also plan to apply just a little more gel to my roots. I noticed a little more frizz at the roots on day one than I had last time.

I wonder if I can get another 5 days out of this wash and go too!

Fingers crossed!

How was your #washdayexperience? Is your hair ready for the summer?




23 comments:

  1. I just want to say your hair always looks so very nice. It seems as though you have figured it all out to the point you make it look easy. It's always a joy to see your emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I had it all figured out Joan! But I definitely don't. I'm just sharing what's worked and what hasn't with you guys. Hopefully someone learns something---or better yet---teaches me something new!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Three cheers for the wash and go. It's one of the styles I want to try when I eventually cut off my relaxed ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wash and go and high puff are like the quintessential natural girl hairstyles. Once you figure out a technique that works for you---its like you can rule the world. LOL!! (I'm not dramatic tho...)

      Thanks for your kind words Uzo!

      Delete
  3. Your wash and go looks amazing. Cheers to finding a technique that works.

    Moma's Healthy Hair Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! It took forever, but I think that I have a handle on this wash and go thing!

      Delete
  4. I love the hair. The curls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! Thanks Nerline. I'm loving your curls this week too!

      Delete
  5. Your hair looks great, I'm gonna take the plunge soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebony! Hopefully something from my experience will help you!

      Delete
  6. Wash & go really suits you. Now you are pro at it! Will try it when my hair is 2 or 3 years post relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joie! I think that if I would have thought to trying banding---I would have attempted more wash and gos in the past.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. love your hair! why is the oil the first step in your moisturize and seal process? I notice you do oil, then leave in, then butter. Would you experiment with doing a wash and go using a cream styler? e.g eden body works curl defining cream or other curl creams out on the market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much chica! And I appreciate your sweet comments!

      Here's my leave in process:

      Castor oil + Conditioner + Gel

      In the past I've used EVCO and even my hair butter to seal during a wash and go. Which left me with gobs of white residue in my curls. But since I started using castor oil, my hair dries flake free. I won't pretend to understand the science behind it, but my best guess is that the butters/oils that I used in the past absorb into my hair at a rate slower than the rate at which the gel dries. Simply put---gel dried faster than the oil/butter could be absorbed. At any rate---it just didn't work for my hair.

      And YES!!! I do want to try a cream styler once my hair grows out just a little bit more!

      WHEWWW That was a long winded answer to a simple question. LOL.

      I hope that it helps chica!

      Delete
  8. I'm new to your site. I'm exploring and I like what I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope to see you around these parts more often chica! All are welcome!

      Delete
  9. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks https://pressurewasherguides.com/2000-psi-pressure-washer/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. heavy duty sandblaster

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!