Tuesday, June 21, 2016

6 Reasons To Try a Wash and Go


If you're reading this, you've probably either attempted a wash and go or are thinking about attempting a wash and go. You might not think that wash and gos work for your hair type. You might not have found your perfect wash and go curling cocktail. But, I'm here to give you a gentle encouraging nudge to give the wash and go life a chance. Here are 6 reasons why you should try a wash and go (again):



Increased Curl Definition 

The wash and go is less about achieving a certain "style" and more about figuring out what technique + product selection encourages your strands to clump, curl and pop. There are tons of methods that you can use to define your curls (I use the rake and shake + praying hands for example). With each wash and go I've seen increased curl poppage and curl memory

Low Maintenance

I literally do nothing to my hair after wash day. No moisturizing and sealing. No detangling. No restyling.To keep my curls shaped, I band it at night using my DIY Ribbon Hair Ties and then cover with a satin cap/scarf. (You can find out more about banding here---just trust me, it's AMAZEBALLS)  My curls stay defined for days.

RELATED: DIY Ribbon Hair Ties For Natural Hair

Quasi-Protective Style

While I can't say that the wash and go is a legit style that will protect your ends. I can say this: Because of my product cocktail, my ends stay uber moisturized between washes. My shrinkage doesn't allow my curls to touch my shoulders, so I don't have to worry about the ends of my hair rubbing and snagging on anything. Then there's the business of the gel cast. The gel cast is almost like a protective curl exoskeleton (say that 10 times fast!). The cast prevents moisture from escaping (as quickly) from your strands and keeps your curls weighed down which prevents tangling.Which leads me to my next point...

Less Tangles

In the past, when I tried wash and gos, my gel application was lousy (I only used gel on my ends instead of the entire strand), my hair wasn't properly moisturized prior to applying the gel, and I didn't band my hair. All of this was a recipe for tangles, knots, and general natural hair mayhem.

Gym/Workout Friendly

I work out 5-6 days a week, 30 minutes to an hour. Now I'm not talking yoga---where you don't sweat and look cute. I'm talking 2 mile morning runs + 30 minute cardio kickboxing with a few plyometric and circuit training courses sprinkled in. I sweat like a sinner in church. But my wash and go never shows it! I shared all of the details on how I do it here: How to Maintain Your Wash and go for 5 days!

RELATED: Workout styles for natural hair

Long Lasting

My very first wash and go experience was terrifying to say he least. The style lasted all of 24 hours before I gave up, co-washed then put my hair up in a bun. Luckily, I'm stupid persistent because at almost a year later, I'm alllll about the wash and go. My curls are moisturized, defined, and last for dayssss (so far the longest I've been able to go is 8 days between wash and gos). So even if you've failed time and time again to get the wash and go of your dreams---I encourage you to keep trying. Because your curls were made for this. Literally!

If you've mastered your wash and go, share some of your fave tips below. And if you are still figuring it all out, drop a question in the comment section. We're here to support, encourage, and throw a little positive pixie dust your way!

Besitos!
KLP

10 comments:

  1. Oh your wash and go is gooooojeez!!! I have tired my second wash and gone bad, I have to keep praticising or maybe when my hair grows longer! Oh... Am dreaming of that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww!! What was wrong with it chica? Maybe I can help!

      Just don't give up. I believe that every girl with curls can rock wash and go magic!

      Delete
  2. Love love your curl definition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! I feel like the better my hair retains moisture---the better my curls look.

      Delete
  3. Gotta love a wash and go. Your curls are gorgeous KLP <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post and I have definitely learnt a lot about wash and goes. It must feel so good to have mastered a technique!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm over the moon that I finally found a technique and products that work for me! I hope that something in my trials is helpful for you chica!

      Delete
  5. All this sounds like a dream, KLP! My wash n' gos never go in that direction you are talking about. I will have to try your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get there Nerline! Great wash and gos start with uber moisturized hair. So maybe try focusing on getting your curls more moisture and see what happens!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!