Friday, September 06, 2013

Mini Washing Secrets Exposed

Example Mini-wash product selection
You may notice that I frequently skip pre-pooing and shampooing. I'm not being (totally) vaga (lazy); I've just noticed that my hair seems to respond better to less shampooing and more extreme deep conditioning. It's so important to listen to what your hair likes and what it doesn't like regardless of how unconventional it may seem. A mini-washing is nothing but a glorified co-wash with heat. I only have to get into the shower once and it literally cuts my wash day time in half. I still clarify once a month and I'll whip out a hydrating shampoo like Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo when I feel like there is an icky build up on my strands. Here's how I cleanse and rehydrate my hair with a mini-wash session:
  1. Detangle first with my fingers and then if necessary my Magic Star Jumbo Rake in vertical sections.  
  2. Extreme Deep Condition- layers an oil over a conditioner to steal in the moisture covered with a plastic cap and then under indirect heat for at least 30 minutes before rinsing with cool water. (My favorite deep conditioners are Halka Baba de Caracol and Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm)  
  3. Green Tea Rinse with 2 tea bags and 2 cups of water (SOS: Shed Dread)  
  4. Smoothing Treatment- Tea rinses make my hair feel hard so I massage Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment into my hair and let sit for about 5 minutes to soften my hair again 
  5. Air dry- I let my hair air dry 80% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt then apply my leave ins. I just find it easier to detangle dry vs. dripping wet tex-laxed hair.   
  6. Leave-ins/Serums- I finger detangle using Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner and seal with an oil, my DIY hair butter, or Chi Silk Infusion.
  7. Styling- I've been sporting either bantu knots or sassy protective styles
Does anyone else mini-wash?

Besitos!
KLP

10 comments:

  1. I see that you have Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie in your photograph, How do you incorporate that product into your hair regimen??

    harlemmhhj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey doll! I think the pic is from a wash and bantu knot set.

      While I really enjoy the Curl Enhancing smoothie, especially it's heavenly scent, I only use it for my bantu knot sets. It's the perfect "holding" agent to keep my curls fancy, fly and free.

      Here's a direct link to the bantu knot cocktail: http://savingourstrands.blogspot.com/2013/07/sos-low-manipulation-styles-bantu-knots.html

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It is definitely good to understand what your hair wants, my hair does not like a mini wash at all it needs shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Tonkabelle. No regimen is one size fits all. And I'm kinda glad that its not. I love trying new things! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've actually started co-washing! I never did in the past, I just couldn't not CLEAN my hair and scalp. But I started and I did almost the same thing - slather on the DC on dry hair, chill for a while(at least 45 min) and then rinse, put in leave ins and roller set. I still do my major wash days, but this intense co-washes are no entering the fray, especially since the weather's heating up my side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop! I also rediscovered co-washing this summer. In the beginning of my hhj, I would wash twice a week---no real reason---and I had great results. Here's to hoping for the same!

      Thanks for stopping by doll!

      Delete
  4. great that mini washes are working for you.
    I've notice that since my second chop my natural kinks prefer to be more co-washed than shampooed. so I listen to my kinks and do what they want and voila, a super soft and moisturized twa is the result.
    even my remained texlaxed bangs are loving those co-washes.
    Listening to our strands is the key to a successful hair journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news chica! I heart your twa! You have the perfect face for any cut! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. That Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment is the truth! I love using it as a smoothing/rinse out conditioner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I've been out for a few weeks and I can not wait to replace it!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!