Wednesday, April 29, 2015

[Hairstyle] Fluffy Curls Using Perm Rods | #WashDayExperience


I loved the long bob that I was left with after my initial big chop at the end of 2014. But it left me with about 2-3 inches of texlaxed hair on my bangs. My curl pattern in the front of my hair is much looser than the back, so in the beginning it was nearly possible to see the difference between the processed hair and my roots.

Then last week, I'm getting ready to rinse out my Joico K-Pak pre-shampoo and I just grab my shears (you know the ones that I said that I was gonna hide...but I didn't!) and start snipping at my bangs. Now I have a curly fro!


Here's how the rest of my #washdayexperience went: 

Pre-Shampoo: Joico K-Pak
Shampoo: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
Clay Mask: Aztec Healing Clay (+ Apple Cider Vinegar & Aloe Vera Juice)
Deep Condition: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
Leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter

The Results:

I've used Aztec Healing Clay (Bentonite Clay) in my facial regimen for about a year. After reading a million and one bloggers rave about hair clay masks, I figured that I would give it a try. Using an applicator bottle, I added approximately 3oz of bentonite clay + 4oz aloe vera juice + 1 oz of apple cider vinegar. I gave it a good long shake to  mix it well then applied it to my hair after shampooing with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream. The mix has the viscosity of a conditioner so as I applied it in sections, I detangled my hair paying close attention to my ends.I covered with a plastic cap and let it sit for about 20 minutes.


As I washed the clay out---I literally felt like a had a head of new hair! Curls galore y'all! I was so impressed by the definition that my curls were left with. I had no problem seeing where I need to trim a little more and it actually elongated my tight curls. This mask has definitely made it into my new regimen! I deep conditioned afterwards with Jessicurl Deep Treatment and used my usual leave-ins before banding my hair to stretch it.


We had our family pictures scheduled for that weekend and I really wanted a special look. I grabbed two packs of tan perm rods (orange rods are too big for my short hair now) and installed them in my hair using a touch of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on the ends. I let the curls air dry for about 5 hours.

Talk about fantastic fluffy curls?!? Honestly---I wasn't expecting my hair to turn out so nice! The humidity killed the curl definition in some parts and I want to experiment with this curly fro look using different sized perm rods. You can expect to see this style again and again this summer!


This will probably be our only family portrait in 2015 since my hubby is deployed now so I'm tremendously grateful for how wonderful these pictures turned out!

I can't wait to share more about my mini chop with you guys! Oh---and I really hid my shears this time y'all. I think I'm done cutting for a while!

How was your #washdayexperience?

Besitos!
KLP




24 comments:

  1. Very cute photos KLP! And you fluffy curls are awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lungi! We had a blast during this photo shoot!

      Delete
  2. I love your curl fro KLP, your natural hair looks super soft and moisturised :-) ur bambinos r just too cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for mud washes!! interesting mix you had there. The recipe I used last time has oils mixed in as well. I will try this one out as well and see how that goes. KLP these curls make you look so young! love the pics by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered adding oils but I wondered if the pil would hinder my hair from absorbing the mixture. I might try an oil mix soon just to compare the results

      Delete
  4. Hi KLP, I think I am getting just a little bit obsessed with the clay myself. Your hair look so gorgeous! I love those spring pictures of you guys! Do you have a favorite protein free leave-in conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline. I love Jessicurl Too Shea. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have any protein in it.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful family! Love love your curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! The best part of having big hair is that for the most part---the wind is my friend.

      Delete
  6. Great family photos... I'm in love with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie for fluffiness :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it has a great soft hold too. The first time that I tired it---I realky didn't like it---I'm glad that I gave it another try!

      Delete
  7. Awwww! I love these photos! Ur hair looks great and I love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachie! My kids may look like my hubster but they have the same hippie flower child personality as me! You win some you lose some. LOL!

      Delete
  8. Your hair is gorgeous!! Your family pictures turned out great. I can't wait to see the results of your mini chop.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! I thought that I was in love with my last chop---I was WRONG---this one is 100% more fun!

      Delete
  9. This style turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the results, I remember seeing at least one of the photos elsewhere. You look so so soooooooo pretty and springy! (pardon my lateness, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! I absolutely adored my hair that day! I really need to do a blow out again!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful kids and handsome husband you go girl! Bless you all

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!