Wednesday, April 08, 2015

[Tutorial] Swirled Crown Braid | The #WashDayExperience


I feel like my hair care regimen is on auto pilot. I condition, stretch my hair, wear some sort of updo, braid, or bun for 3---maybe 4 days then do the process all over again. I've all but abandoned tea rinsing---I don't shed like a dog anymore. I haven't used heat---I don't even think that I've used direct or indirect heat on my hair since December. My hair is crazy moisturized and relatively tangle free.


My focus for the last couple of months has been to clean out my ridiculously crazy overstuffed product stash. So for today's #WashDayExperience, I took all of my conditioners with just a few tablespoons of product left in them, mixed it all together, and slapped it in my hair. And BOOM just like that I cleared out 8 products in my stash. #dontjudgeme well...#judgemealittle! Omg---why did I have this many almost empty bottles of conditioners any-friggin-way! SMH.

Here's how my #washdayexperience went:

Overnight Deep Condition- with about 1-2 tablespoons each of Mizani Moisturfusion Silk Cream Conditioner, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisturizing Hair Smoothie, OGX Coconut Milk Conditioner, Jessicurl Deep Treatment, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, TRESemme Naturals Conditioner, Pura Body Naturals Chocolate Hair Smoothie, and Aussie 3 Minute Moist  + Almond oil  (Why I deep condition overnight)
Leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea + My DIY Hair Butter

First let me start by saying that all of these conditioners are fantastic on their own! The only conditioner that I wouldn't repurchase is Pura Body Naturals Chocolate Hair Smoothie. I really didn't care for that one when my hair was texlaxed but I didn't have enough of it to judge if my curls would have enjoyed it. You definitely don't have to use this many conditioners in order for your hair to feel and look great. After using up all that product, I can actually see the bottom of the conditioner drawer in my stash! *Fist pump for soft manageable hair* **Double fist pump for spring cleaning!*

After rinsing my hair, I applied 3-4 drops of almond oil to my soaking wet hair then wrapped it up in a cotton t-shirt for a few minutes to absorb the water. I've been using almond oil a lot lately. I wish that I could give you some intricate soulful healthy hair reason. But #realtalk, where I live at now, my favorite coconut oil is more than double the price that it was before. I'm in LOVE with the coco, but see...the way my bank account is setup...Hahaha!


I applied a bit of Jessicurl Too Shea to moisturize and my DIY Hair Butter to seal then pulled my hair into a top knot to finish drying. The hubby and I had a movie date night planned so once my hair was dry, I pulled it down and started braiding with the intent of creating a halo braid---but I came up with this swirled crown braid instead.



  1. Create a deep side part on stretched hair. (I stretched my curls pulling my wet hair into a top knot and allowing it to dry.)
  2. Begin your dutch braid at your side part following your hair line. Just as you would a crown or halo braid.
  3. About an inch from your ear, start to curve the braid towards the opposite direction. Keep your turn tight so that your edges stay neat.
  4. Make another 180 curve in the opposite direction again. Each curve makes your braid look like a giant swirling "S".
  5. Repeat making as many swirls as you'd like. I did 3 turns on each side.
  6. Finish by braiding across your nape. Secure the ends with a regular braid.
  7. Then tuck the braided end at your nape with a hair pin.
  8. Fluff your braid by plucking apart the sides for a fuller look. 
Optional: Mist your hair with a little hair spray for hold and cover with a satin scarf for a few minutes to tame flyways. My favorite non-residue leaving hair spray is Chi Enviro Flex Hold Hair Spray. I dabbed a bit of Chi Twisted Fabric on my edges and smoothed it in with my fingers for a sleeker look.


Y'all can expect to see this style a billion times this summer because I'm in LOVE! It's a little messy and is far from perfect but it takes a few minutes to install, doesn't require heat or any other special tools, and it keeps my hair out of my face.

How was your #washdayexperience?

Besitos!
KLP




32 comments:

  1. I love pictorials. Hmmm I will give this style a try, you did such an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pictorials too! They explain the process FAR better than my words ever could!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I'm borrowing that style for my daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute style! How do you plan on preserving it over night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By throwing on a satin scarf and calling it a day! I'm soooo plain Jane!

      Delete
  4. I always love your hairstyles KLP. This is so beautifully awesome x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley! This style turned out MUCH better than I thought that it would. It's totally a fluke!

      Delete
  5. LMBO at all your empties. We be so excited to use the next best thing and end up with a whole bunch of bottom drops lol. Your swirl braid is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PREACH!!!

      The really sad part is that---4 months into my product stash clean out and I still have a ton of stuff to use.

      But I'm not addicted tho...lol!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  6. You're serving it!! You definitely know how to whip your hair into shape and make it do what it do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! I wouldn't have attempted this style if my hair wasn't stretched. Shrinkage just doesn't play nice with fluffy braids!

      Delete
  7. Some of use are smiling with heads down because we know we have to follow suit with cleaning out stashes lol Happy for you that you did!!!

    I love your braid... mayn I need to start practicing because my braiding skills are so wack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lebo!

      The really, really, reaaaallllllyyyyy sad part is that I STILL have a lot of products to used up. *hangs head*

      Maybe I do have a problem....

      Nah!!! #productjunkie #ftw

      Delete
  8. I love that style too, classy as all your updos are :-) and LOL to the almond oil story, it's actually the other way around where I live, almond oil is like a delicacy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! Even tho I LUST over Marley braids, wigs, and weaves---I'm a commitment-phobe. Give me a quick braid updo any day because if I want to play in my hair---I can!

      Plus---I'm cheap..

      Oops, I mean, I'm frugal! LOL #dontjudgeme

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome doll! After I realized that this style actually turned out super cute---I forced myself to make the pictorial. Pictorials explain the process FAR better than my words ever could!

      Delete
  10. KLP can you please come and do my hair, pretty, please? Dunno how you manage to turn out these braided styles time after time. You're a guru! Definitely gonna borrow this once I perfect my braiding skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I could chica! I think that I'm a little obsessed with super simple and quick updos---does it show? LOL

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. STEALING! STOLEN! STUNNING!! And I'm done shouting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg! I'm in love with this continuous braid! #pinnedyetagain lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachie! With your hair color, this braid would have a ton of dimension on you!

      Delete
  13. I don't even get how you just breezed from texlaxed to natural and you're just dusting your collar like it's nothing! KLP my hair is trying to kill me. Great pictorial. I'm going to try this style when my hair is out again (currently incarcerated in box braids)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww---I wish that I could convince myself to commit to box braids. You're gonna have a TON of growth and retention from not manipulating your hair!

      Delete
  14. Guess who's going to errrm steal this style? I love it, this is a great PS you have going on. And I am slightly jealous of your conditioner stash. I miss being a conditioner junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I could stop being a conditioner junkie if I tried! But one thing that I need to do: FINISH a product before I start another one! SMH!

      Delete
  15. i love how this style looks sooo complicated but is quite simple when you break it down. me and my hair that's 5months post are coming your way.... why am i wearing my African threading when i could be sophisticated and complicated like this?

    thanks KLP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks Kangopie! This would be an amazing style on you! I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  16. Such a cute style! Definetely pinning it and trying it at some point!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!