Thursday, May 07, 2015

[Tutorial] Bentonite Clay Mask + Meet My High Puff | #WashDayExperience

 

It's no secret that I prefer to wear my hair stretched. But on the days when I really need to wash my hair but don't have the time (or energy) to do much to it afterwards, I co-wash and then rock a high puff.

High puffs were difficult for me before my mini chop because I still had a few inches of texlaxd hair on my ends. After my mini chop---I still struggled with the high puff because my curl pattern is much looser in the front than the back. The front of my puff looked really frizzy while the back would be curly. Considering how great my first experiment with Bentonite Clay was at defining my curl pattern, I tried it again. And I took pictures this time!

Here's how my #washdayexperience went:

Pre-Shampoo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner
Clay Mask: Aztec Healing Bentonite Clay (+ Apple Cider Vinegar & Aloe Vera Juice)
Leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter + Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets Styling Potion


I started by applying Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner to my dry (unwashed) hair and detangling. Although I hadn't detangled in 3 days and my perm rod curls had completely frizzed out, I actually didn't have any knots plus my hair felt moisturized. I love how defined my hair looks with the conditioner weighing the curls down.


I let the conditioner sit for about 20 minutes before hopping into the shower. Here's what my hair looks like once the conditioner has been rinsed. As my hair starts to dry--especially without product, I loose the definition.


And then my puff looks pretty frizzy instead of curly.


Next, I applied the bentonite clay mask in small sections to my lightly t-shirt dried hair. To make the mask, I mix 4oz of clay with 1oz of apple cider vinegar and 3oz of aloe vera juice. I add all of the ingredients to a medium tip applicator bottle and shake it like a Polaroid picture. *plays Hey-ya chorus in her head* #dontjudgeme #ibetyoustarteddancingtoo Ha-ha! I covered with a plastic cap and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure if I'll experiment with additional ingredients in the future because I'm really digging the results that I get from this mix.


I rinsed the mask in the shower then applied Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner, then my DIY Hair Butter and lastly a newbie Jessicurl Confident Coils to soaking wet hair.


I can definitely tell the difference in my conditioner only puff versus the bentonite clay puff. The kinks and curls are more defined plus my hair was softer. I'm totally penciling in a weekly bentonite clay mask in my regimen! Whilst, I'm still playing with my high puff leave ins, I have to say that I love the way that this cocktail keeps my hair moisturized for several days without me having to do anything else.


What new masks, treatments, or leave ins are you trying this spring?

Besitos!
KLP




18 comments:

  1. Woww! super cute puff...and your hair looks nice and shiny. I haven't tried any new masks or leave-ins lately but I do plan to get some new ones soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I can't wait to see what you pick up!

      Delete
  2. Puff it away gurrl!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the difference. I may have to revisit my Aloe Vera juice, but I use Olive oil in my clay now and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered adding an oil to my clay but I wondered how well my hair would be able to absorb it...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! I love the curls but I'm still getting accustomed to the crazy shrinkage!

      Delete
  5. Wowzers your hair is so thick and those curls are singing a song and it's called Curls Be Popping! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ur curls are really showing now! Lovely simple and beautiful hair style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I wish that I would have starting doing clay treatments before my initial big chop! It probably wouldn't have taken my hair as long to be better defined.

      Delete
  7. I love your hair KLP. I really need to try bentonite clay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it would be interesting to see how the clay would respond to texlaxed hair!

      Delete
  8. Now I've got Andre 3000 Stuck in my head! We are going into winter now so im sticking to the butters I have. A friend of mine gave me some mafura butter. I'm gonna whip it and try it out and see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh! I can't wait to steal...I mean---borrow your butter recipe. I've been using hair butter for about 2 years now and I'll never go back to just using oil to seal my hair.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!