Wednesday, May 13, 2015

[Tutorial] Twisted Bang French Tuck | #WashDayExperience


Y'all know that I love a good updo. I'm really loving wearing my hair in high puffs but I also need to be protecting my ends with protective styles. Afterall---that's how I retained length when I was relaxed.


Here's what I used to wash my hair this week:

Overnight Deep Condition- Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner + Almond Oil (Wondering why I deep condition overnight? Click here)
Leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea + My DIY Hair Butter


The Style:
It's interesting to me that many of the techniques that I learned while I was stretching/transitioning still work like a charm now that my hair is fully natural.

Can I get a high five fist bump for overnight deep conditioning?!? My hair always feels super soft, moisturized--while my curls look super pump and hydrated. I know that deep conditioning overnight doesn't work for a lot of people's hair or lifestyle, but I definitely recommend that everyone try it at least once! Especially if you despise sitting under the dryer or you're pressed for time like me.

After I applied my leave ins, I banded my hair to stretch it a little. Stretched, my hair is between shoulder length and arm pit length. Unstretched? Girl---my curls hang at less than neck length. I can't say that I love the way that shrinkage hides my length yet.


To style, I whipped my hair into a super simple twisted bang french tuck using a banana clip. Here's how I did it:
  1. Begin with stretched and moisturized hair.
  2. Make a heavy side part.
  3. Section your hair from ear to ear, then divide the front section into 3 equal parts. 
  4. Pin back the two side sections leaving only the top(your bangs) out.
  5. Start your flat twist (dutch, french, or fishtail) braid near the crown of your head. Braid or twist it towards your hair line, then swoop it to the back. 
  6. Braid or twist until the end of the hair.
  7. Gather and smooth the rest of your hair and the braid/twist back. Secure where comfortable with a banana clip.
  8. Take the ends and roll into a french twist, securing with a long hair pin at the top and bottom of the roll. 
At night, I just remove one side of the banana clip then cover with my scarf. Nothing fancy at all! Hopefully this style will keep my hands out of my curls!

Anyone else rocking a protective style this week?

Besitos!
KLP



14 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on Overnight DC'ng it saves so much time when you have to prioritise other things, and it does the job for my hair at least! I love your creativity with the front part of your hairstyle KLP :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! Now that my bangs are shorter it's hard to pull it into a low bun---looks like I'm going to have to get creative with how I keep them protected!

      Delete
  2. I love the hair. I can never get my banana clips to close:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you Nerline. I find that I struggle less with getting the clip to close when my hair is stretched and when I pull it back the way that I would a pony.

      I hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Love your updo! I had to chuckle when I read your post. I did my first successful overnight deep condition during my last wash day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's AWESOME Leah! *Fist pump* for overnight deep conditioning!

      Delete
  4. I overnight DC simply out of laziness most wash days! lol. I've never been able to successfully get all my hair into a banana clip, but I may try again....with a super bendy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean---when it comes down to it, I'm obviously being lazy too! LOL.

      It's a struggle to close the banana clip when my hair isn't stretched. The ironic part is that I still have a banana clip that I used in high school. It actually works BETTER than my newer clips. I feel like it has more "give"---almost as it it's made of a more flexible plastic. Fingers crossed that I never lose it!

      Delete
  5. Nice! I love your protective styles - you must be retaining length like nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably not! I just can't stop dusting my ends! I'll probably end up at the same length that I was after my first big chop last December.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  6. I love the updo!! I am going for low manipulation and wearing my hair "curly" I finger detangle instead of combing each day until around 4 days when I feel tangles forming. Shrinkage is real for me too lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting way of "leaving your hair alone." How often do you wash your hair each week?

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!