Wednesday, September 16, 2015

How I Protect My Hair Under Kurly Klips | The #WashDayExperience



One of my biggest fears in getting a long term protective style was that I was gonna neglect my real hair underneath.

I'm lazy. 

I'm forgetful. 

Totally absent minded cloud chasing----ohhh what's that over there...


*wanders aimlessly for several minutes*

Wait...what was I talking about?

{Regroups for a sec}

I felt like if my hair was out of sight. Then it would be out of mind.

So I'm trying to force myself to still care for my hair---even tho I don't have to touch it every day--if I don't wanna.



Here's my plan to protect my hair while I'm rocking my Kurly Klips:

#1: Remove the clip-ins EVERY night.
It's disgustingly easy to set these bad boys and forget it. I'd be lying if I said that I never slept in them before. (Sorry Lana! I know that you're not supposed to sleep in them; I was beyond exhausted!) But I can't make that a habit.

#2: Massage my scalp.
I'm not sure if its because my scalp is tender. Or if I'm just not used to having anything attached to my hair but I will admit that there are areas of my head where the clips caused a little soreness. So at night, I gently massage my scalp with a little Jamaican Black Castor oil and try to remember to place the clip a little further away from my scalp



#3: Moisturize and seal my real hair.
Under my clips, my hair is in a set in about 20 two strand twists. So, I mist my hair with a Aloe Vera, glycerine spritz from root to tip, then apply a small amount of Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner focusing on my ends. I usually seal with my DIY Hair Butter, but---because I want to really keep my ends protected from the exposure to the friction from the clip-in---instead I'm sealing with Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Then I pull all the twist back into a low pony tail and cover with my scarf.

#4: Co-Wash (as needed).
I workout just about daily, so I rinse my twists with warm water every 3-4 days. After my water rinse, I follow my same nightly routine by misting with my aloe vera concotion, applying a small amount of conditioner then sealing with JBCO. Thanks to my trim a few weeks ago, my ends actually stay twists throughout this process.


#5: Deep Condition once a week with heat.
Not washing my hair weekly simply is not an option for me. I plan to follow my usual regimen, shampooing once a month and deep conditioning with heat every week.

#6: Nourish my leave out.
If I plan to use a little of my real hair to blend the tracks,  I still mist with the aloe vera concoction and apply a little conditioner, but instead of using JBCO to seal my ends I use a dab of hair butter and Camille Rose Natural Curl Maker. I really need to review Curl Maker so that I can properly gush about how great that stuff is, but just know that if you want a fantastically defined twist out---this stuff is your winner winner chicken dinner!

I'm hoping to stick to my clip-ins for maybe 2 months (unless I get bored), then access my ends. In the meantime, I'll be sharing all about how I style them, blend my hair for a natural look, and my 3 favorite ways to install them.

How was your #washdayexperience?

Share all the dets with our hair obsessed tribe below!



24 comments:

  1. So...now I know what you're giving me for my birthday.... SOME KURLY KLIPS!!! Looks fantastic KLP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Girl! If I could give a set to ERRRYBBOODDDYYY I really would!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I just love them!! This is the protective style am after!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that I would enjoy long term protective styling but I will admit that Kurly Klips are the BEST! You really can't get any easier than this!

      Delete
  3. These clips look nice and very natural! I would try but I'm just so afraid that my hair wouldn't blend well!!
    Fear never gets us anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mionna! You don't even have to blend your hair with the clip ins if you don't want to! I've worn it with no leave out and used a headband to cover the clips. BOOM POW!

      I promise you guys that these are literally the best thing ever!

      Delete
  4. Love that texture! They look great on you. I have been loving clip ins too (and made the mistake of sleeping in them too smh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooooooooooooo easy to set these things and forget them! But girl, I'm trying to stay strong and make sure that I don't get lazy with my real hair! The point of this protective style for me is to retain length---not to loose it because of neglect.

      Delete
  5. Your regimen is the real deal! The kurly klips are definitely the way to go: no mess no fuss and you get to rest your hair for a while! Do you think you may retain less length from your leave out given that it is not protected like the rest of your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite way to wear the clip-ins is either with no leave out or with my leave out twisted back. I'm hoping that because my leave out is pulled back into a twist or a braid---it's still protected. Cross your fingers with me!

      Delete
    2. yesss! I have always worried about leaveouts, hence i generally do not do weaves. Thanks for the ideas on how to protect it!

      Delete
    3. What I love about Kurly Klips is that I really don't have to manipulate my leave out. I don't have to apply heat to it to straighten it. In all honesty, I don't have to double strand twist it either (although it does blend better when I do). I can just apply a little aloe vera gel to my edges and pull it back into a half up half down look.

      Delete
  6. Those clip-ins definitely look au naturale.Your PS regimen definitely sounds like you will get great results. Stick to it. Looking forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danielle! I'm going to try my best to stick to it! I'm 2 weeks in and so far so good!

      Delete
  7. The clip-in look fantastic and really blend well with your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! When I want to look extra special---I wear the clips with a little leave out, but most of the time, I wear them like a wig with no leave out and use a head band to cover the clips.

      Delete
  8. Yes, these clip-ins are beautiful on you! I love how thoroughly you explained how you're caring for your hair underneath them. My only gripe with a long-term protective style is not being able to cleanse/condition my hair each week. It might be about time for me to grab up some clip-ins or something because I'm getting tired of wigs and buns lol.

    Thanks for sharing, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being able to access my real hair was my biggest reason for not getting into braided extensions, weaves or wigs in the past. And it's the reason why I ADORE my Kurly Klips. I can uninstall these suckers in a matter of minutes!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Its been a long time since I participated in a wash day experience! I wonder why i stopped: lots of great conversations happened as a result. now I'm back, humble with my hat in my hand. How is everyone else doing?

    first up KLP, I love how well this hair blends in with your hair.. I almost had a heart attack when I got to the post and I was like "say What now! I know I haven't been on this site for long ... but KLP's hair can't be here already!" I am wondering: would you actually want your hair to eventually look like this later on?

    What is in the DIY hair butter... can you post the link to how you make it? (I am always creating work for u when im here).

    oh p.s.
    I just purchased my perm-rods and they are snail mailing their way from the US to South Africa. When I get them I will go over your posts and Do Like you do #Goals

    oh PPPs KLP I struggle sooooo much to comment with my wordpress account on your blog everytime I comment here I have to type up comments in notepad because it can take up to 7 attempts b4 it actually posts something. I think its because I am using a chrome browser... has anyone else got this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I figured out a way around my commenting blues - I will use the IE browser for your site then I can comment to my hearts content

      Delete
    2. I literally laughed out loud at your comments chica!

      When my good friend read the post she was STOCKED that my hair at Keyda's wedding was clip-ins! I guess that I'm doing a better job than I thought with blending... Or maybe it's that these Kurly Klips are really easy to blend! Who knows...

      Hi five for getting perm rods! Can't wait to see your results! I bet that you will love them!

      So happy that you figured out your commenting issue! I love hearing from you chica!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah! Here's a direct link to my hair butter recipe: DIY Hair Butter I love love love this stuff!

      Delete
  10. Why am I just seeing this?!?! Lol, that's what happen you go out the loop, you miss amazing things. Your clip ins are so gorg, very natural looking! And I loved how u styled it in the previous post with the head piece (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abbii! Missed you too! I'm totally loving these clip ins! They're crazy easy to install and hopefully I don't look too crazy in them! LOL

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!