Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Meet My Kurly Klips | #The WashDayExperience


After months of agonizing, weeks of drooling, and tons of Pinterest stalking, I've finally figured out what long term protective style I think that I can actually commit to AND pull off!

So, here's what y'all know: I'm anti-long term protective style. I love my buns, braids and updos but sometimes a girl wants a little more oomph! I adore braided extensions. I live for a natural looking wig. Sew-ins are crazy versatile.  But nothing in me wants to sit for 6+ hours to get my hair braided. I don't want to spend the time looking for a stylist to give me a realistic looking sew in. I Youtube'd "DIY Wig" and got about 75,100 results. *sweet baby Jesus* overwhelmed doesn't even begin to describe it! That's not a learning curve that this chica wants to ride....


My problem is that I love having access to my hair. The thought of not being able to play in my curls whenever I want to makes me stupid sad. And this is where my Kurly Klips come in!


Kurly Klips are naturally kinky curly clip in hair extensions. They are made from 100% human hair BUT have been steam processed to resemble natural curl patterns. Think sew in weave then replace the sew with clip. So that means...

- No stylist/cousin that went to beauty college/kitchen beautician...
- No intricate no way in the world that I can do braiding patterns...
- No closures--dye this--seal that...
- No marley/havanna/remi/yo mama/hakuna matata braiding hair
- I can take it out when I want...
- I can put it in when I want...
- It actually looks like it's growing out of my scalp
- PLUS it only takes 10-15 minutes to install and style?

Girllllllllllllll

I almost lost control!

Lana, the genius creator of Kurly Klips sent me the 4oz Shoulder Chic Fro Clip-Ins and the 4oz Mermaid Fro Clip-Ins to give a test drive.

Once I took the hair out of the package.

I was scurreedd.

LOOK at all that HAIR!


Not my usual running late to the bus stop/post office/commissary/play ground/workout look. But it was perfect for my bestie boo, Keyda's wedding!

See Related: Just Married! Congrats Keyda & Mark!


Here's how I pulled off this look:

Deep Condition- Matrix Hydrasource Conditioner + Almond Oil
Leave Ins- Almond Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter + Camille Rose Curl Maker

I'd been wearing my hair in my Two Strand Twist Updo, so I pulled it down, misted with a little water then applied Matrix Hydrasource Conditioner to my hair root to tip in a couple of sections, detangling in the process. I sealed in the conditioner with a little almond oil, then covered with a plastic bag. To kick my conditioning up a notch, I sat under my heating cap for about an hour.

See Related: My Natural Hair Regimen


Afterwards, I hopped into the shower, rinsed each section thoroughly and re-twisted. I let a cotton t-shirt absorb the excess water from my hair and applied a little almond oil. Then, I applied my leave ins: Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter + a dab of Camille Rose Curl Maker and twisted my hair in about 20 sections. The process took about an hour. I pulled the damp twists back into a ponytail, covered with my scarf and let them dry overnight.

The next morning, I installed 7 of the mermaid and 2 of the shoulder chic clip ins for this voluminous look. I unraveled a few of the twists from the front of my hair to help cover the clips, applied a little aloe vera gel, then twisted it back and secured with hair pins.

Yes. I will give you guys all of the dets on how I installed the hair, how I wash it, how I style it, etc etc etc. But for now, just know that I LOVE these clip-ins! I was too busy running here and there + partying at Keyda's wedding so I didn't get any shots of she and I together, but I did snap a few full length pics of me, my weave, and my dress!



What do you think? Can I pull off ALL of this hair or does it look to wiggy?

How are you rocking your hair this week? Feel free to share with the rest of our hair obsessed tribe!


32 comments:

  1. oh em gee.

    You look SO good! Everything about this look is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, KLP!! These clip in look amazing on you! You can for sure pull these off and HAVE!!! Girl I swear every hairstyle you post I be drooling! Love how creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keoshia! It's definitely going to take me some time to get used to wearing all of this hair! But I really love it!

      Delete
  3. Hey KLP! These clips are so gorgeous and so are you! This hair looks so perfect and natural, definitely not wiggy. You are pulling it off and some! Makes me want to go grab some lol. Werk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Drea! You have no idea how excited I am to share my Kurly Klip experience with you guys! Trust and believe that I would repurchase these bad boys in a minute! So far, they are a worthy investment!

      Delete
  4. I love it! I actually thought you had done crochet braids. They blend in so well with your hair, does not look wiggy at all! And lol to not needing a cousin/kitchen beautician to rock this style :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon Becca! Doesn't everyone have a sister-cousin that can install the best braids and weaves?

      ...Or is it just me? Hahahaha!

      Crochet braids are EVERYTHING right now. But I'm gonna be real with you, I really don't think that I'm skilled enough to pull them off without looking a hot mess!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Looooove the clip ins!! Oh tell us all about them!!! Keyda' wedding was beautiful and your outfit is amazing! Loving the head piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Yvonne!

      I'm definitely not a fashionista but I LOVE a good head piece honey!

      But let me tell you a secret! You can't tell no body else tho..

      *clears throat*

      That head piece is actually a necklace! I inserted a hair pin through the loop of the clasps then secured the ends into my twist. BOOM!

      But shhhhhhh! Don't tell no body else tho!

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful!! Thanks for sharing :) ...and thanks for the "necklace/head piece" idea. I won't tell anyone else lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks Christina! I was going for the boho/goddess look and I can never find head pieces that really nail it for me. But this necklace was EVERYTHING and then some! Reason #986358 that I LOVE hair pins!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  7. I love how they look, very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! I need to keep practicing my blending techniques!

      Delete
  8. Not wiggy at all! They look very natural and your entire look is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! Maybe this long term protective styling thang ain't so bad after all!

      Delete
  10. These clip ins look so good on you (and natural too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'll be patiently waiting for the day when I wake up with this hair actually growing out of my head! LOL!

      Delete
  11. The wedding was gorgeous and your hair looks amazing. You worked those KKs really well. I love mine as a wig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the idea of working the clips into a wig!

      *Adds an item to her todo list*

      You're obviously mmmuuuccchhhh better at this than me! LOL. I'm so out of my comfort zone!

      Delete
  12. Girl, I checked out the website, but the hair is sold out! Did you buy the last pieces? It looks so beautiful and natural on you. It blends very well with your hair. I think you did an excellent job with the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh know! Did you click on the Shoulder Chic My Fro Collection? It's definitely avaiable!

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed that they have them for you!

      Delete
  13. Lol! As a native swahili speaker that Hakuna matata braiding hair phrase cracked me up big time hahaha! That unit looks so good I love it very natural looking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lydz! I mean, I can't be the only one confused by all the weave, wig, and braid extension types/textures etc!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  14. I love love love everything about this 'do! You definitely pulled it off KLP

    ReplyDelete
  15. love, LOVE, LOVE! It blends perfectly with your hair!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!