Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Unboxing Your Kurly Klips



HEATED doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when I unboxed my Kurly Klips.

I gotta keep it 100 with y'all.

I was not impressed.

I straight thought Lana, the genius Kurly Klips creator, had slipped me the okie-doke.


Just as I was about to send her a nice/nasty gram. I figured that I should do some due diligence and figure out why my clips looked NOTHING like the models on the website.

And as usual, YouTube had all the answers. (I'm still wondering why I EVEN went to college. YouTube knows eeevvveerrryyyttthhhaaannnggg...)




When you first open your My Fro collection, it will be big. REALLY REALLY BIG. A little crazy looking. Not at all what you expect. And, if you wear it straight out the box, it will not blend. But, if you like the mentally detrangled about to snap look then you straight BUT if you don't...
Fresh out the box

All you have to do is add some water. 

I deleted my nice/nasty gram and sent Lana an OMG girl this is the ish gram.


Here's how I did it:
  1. Rinse the wefts one at a time with warm water. 
  2. Because my natural hair is crazy fluffy, I didn't want my extensions to be too defined. So I only finger detangled the very ends of my clips just to clump the curls. 
  3. After rinsing each weft, I ever so gently squeezed the excess water in the sink, then hung the wefts on a hanger to drip dry. (You can also lay them flat on a towel to dry.)
  4. (Optional) Apply a very lightweight leave in conditioner or curl enhancing product to only the ends of the hair to define each weft. 
 BUT KEEP READING, there's more...

After a wash and light finger detangle at the ends


Be crazy careful with how much product you use and how you detangle the curls. The more product that you use, the more defined your clip-ins will be. Now, if you want really defined curls---a braid out texture---then go to town with your paddle or denman brush. But, like I said, my natural hair is extremely fluffy, therefore the voluminous appearance of the clips works for me. Volume will also help you if you only purchased one set of clips, it will help you with blending/covering the tracks and less manipulation will increase the longevity of your purchase. (Because this ish ain't cheap!) If you over define your curls, I'm gonna be real with you, the volume is virtually impossible to re-create.

So it's that simple. Take the hair out of the box, rinse it with a little water, define the curls to your liking, then let dry.

Soon I'll share the 3 ways that I install these suckas in 10 minutes or less!

Besitos!
KLP

6 comments:

  1. OMG, I can't even begin to imagine what you would have sent! Yaaaaay for youtube! *high fives*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Me either chile! I'm just glad that I figured it out!

      Delete
  2. Hi KLP I have been seeing a lot about these Kurly Klips in your blog newsletters and I have been meaning to read up on them
    just read your wash day post and they looked absolutely stunning on there.

    in your last paragraph you said that if you over define your curls the volume is impossible to recreate ... did you mean that if you overdefine your curls you would in essence ruin them and not be able to take them to their original state... or that you have to rewash them?

    that last sentence has me nervous like. (-_-)

    I loved your post and KLP, your MEME game is STRONG *Claps hands*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you first unbox our Kurly Klips the volume is outrageous! You can tame it with conditioner or other products...but here's the catch:

      I wore my clips for about 6 months---at least 4-5 times a week---and with the co-washing and detangling---they definitely lost their volume. No matter what I tried, I couldn't whip them back into va-va-voom volume status. I think that the bigest culprit was the hair shedding.

      Are they still usable? AB-SO-LUTELY! But because I personally really adored the big volume, I'd probably replace the clips every 6 months or so.

      I hope that this helps!

      Delete
  3. You crack me up! I've missed your posts! I wonder why college sometimes too ;-)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!