Wednesday, October 08, 2014

[Hairstyle] Perm Rods | #WashDayExperience



I was simply obsessed with my perm rod curls last week. #1 My roots were smooth. Chile, like I just got a relaxer smooth. I was actually able to see my scalp through my roots! I know that this might not be a big deal to you, but when you haven't seen your scalp in months because it's hidden under several ends of curly roots---you get pumped. #2 My hair was uber moisturized. I only moisturized and sealed twice in 7 days. Now before you call the hhj-police on me, I want you to know that I didn't moisturize because my hair didn't feel dry at all. #3 Old perm rod curls make THE BEST curly #iwokeuplikethis buns ever! Nonetheless, I went for the three-peat this week. Same style, Pretty much the same products. But lots o pictures. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:


  1. Pre-Shampoo- I slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil whilst I detangled. I put my hair in about 6 bantu knots to keep my hair sectioned.
  2. Cleanse- I haven't shampooed in a few weeks, so I diluted a little Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Shampoo with water and applied to my roots only using a narrow tip applicator bottle on each section.
  3. Protein Treatment- Next, I applied Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe from root to tip. 
  4. Deep condition- After I rinsed the protein treatment, I applied Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner from root to tip, then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and let sit for a few hours.
  5. Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize, extra virgin coconut oil to seal and Good Hair Is Resilient Styling foam for a soft hold, then set my hair on about 35 orange perm rods and left in overnight
The results:



Whilst, I used the same products this week, my technique was a little different. It's been a million years since my last shampoo (okay---I'm just kidding it's been like 4-5 weeks) and I knew that it was time to give my scalp and hair a fresh start. Matrix Hydrasource has got to be the gentlest shampoo that I've ever used. Even diluted, it has a good lather and definitely doesn't strip my hair. I was also overdue for a hard protein treatment. And of course, I'm all out of Nexxus Emergencee. So I settled for Joico K-Pak and followed it all up with a deep conditioning with Matrix Hydrasource conditioner. K-Pak left my hair feeling strong and Hydrasource gave me the softness.

  
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in the past but, on wash day, I do everything in sections. EVERYTHING. From the beginning, as I detangle, I pull my hair into large bantu knots and work section by section applying product, rinsing, and even styling. 
L: Before with conditioner R: After rinsing

I actually took some shots of my disgusting wet dog looking hair. Nothing about my wet mop appeals to me. I mean, look at the shrinkage! (I had to stretch it a bit so that you could see the texture) Look at how crummy my ends look when wet! *hangs head* I feel totally vulnerable and naked now that I've shown you. I guess that I'm a big girl now. The only good news is that once I stretch my hair---It all looks decent again.


Back to the results...It's official. I'm in love with perm rods. The orange rods give me the perfect sized curl, the tension smooths my roots (I mean, can you even tell that I'm 66 weeks post relaxer?), and the way that my hair holds on to moisture after the fact is extraordinary. I still suck at installing them. It still takes me well over an hour. But to only have to fiddle with my hair once a week? Meh...I think that I'm #winning. 

Are you participating in 30 days without heat? 





I am! Shoutie to Jeni, Jay, and Tiki for this amazeball challenge!
 
Besitos!
KLP




34 comments:

  1. Those curls are gorgeous! Between you and Jeni I'm definitely thinking about investing in either some perm rods or curlformers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeni definitely is helping curlformers move up my I-really-freaking-don't-need-another-thing-to-curl-my-hair-but-I'm-crazy wish list! But perm rods are definitely here to stay. I'm thinking about toying with rods with a larger diameter for bigger, bouncer curls.

      Delete
  2. You are so good at styling your hair!! I need to take a leaf from your book and get more creative. Great style :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that this was actually a style Takara! I unraveled my rods, fluffed them a bit, and put on a hat because it was only 40 degrees when went to take the pics. I'm smitten with your fro-hawk!

      Delete
  3. I'm loving everything about this wash day! I know EXACTLY want you mean about feeling excited at the sight of your scalp! That's exactly how I felt about my hair this week. I felt I was seeing a long lost friend. My scalp and I got reacquainted. I told her I missed her. She told me she was always with me.

    I'm nuts-o. I'll go sit in my corner now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're sitting in the same corner chica!!! I can't keep my hands off my scalp! Funny the things that get you hype when you're 66 weeks post. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Love the definition of those curls #winning . I have a few white rods but need to invest in some more. You're making me want to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you rods curved or straight? I keep seeing people use them interchangeably but I have no idea if there's a difference.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing us some texture shots, there not bad at all. DO you know what your hair type is? And do you mostly finger detangle your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only when my hair is wet that I realize how much of a bipolar mess it is! LOL.

      I won't even bother you guys with a ridiculously uneducated guess at my hair type. However, I do know that it's very dense and tightly coiled. I guess that I should figure that out huh? *Kanye Shrug*

      I always always always finger detangle. I don't even know where my Magic Rake is. (Between you and me I think that one of my relatives got me for it. LOL. Last time that I hype a product to them! Ha-ha!)

      Delete
  6. You must get really bored of me saying how gorgeous your rod sets are, but your curls are so pretty KLP. Your before shot is how my hair always looks too, I loathe detangling and I'm quite lazy with sectioning even though it helps so much with getting through the tangles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could get away with not having to fiddle with my hair in sections--trust me I definitely would! It's just a tedious process. Thanks Lesley!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely fabulous! And that new growth??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...crazy right. Because I never really take pictures of my wet hair, I was really surprised to really see how much my hair has grown. Fingers crossed that I'm retaining a little bit of it too!

      Delete
  8. Yeah yeah yeah....so you and Jeni inspired me to TRY a flexi rod set. Ma'am. I was literally cursing you both for even placing the idea in my head! Then you BOTH come back this week with even better curls?! *shrugs* I'll watch from the sidelines...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Ebs! I'm sorry that your flexi's didn't work out. I'm totally NOT a flexi kinda girl. I tried, it was a semi-success, but I'm really gonna have to sice myself up to try again. Next week, you'll kill it chica!

      Delete
  9. Your curls always come out so well KLP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. turned out so well, trying this style this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the clarification because I came that () close to calling the HHJ police on you. I hate to wet my hair unless it is necessary too. I love your curls. Well, I always do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You're so silly Nerline! I don't mine washing or wetting my hair. Most of the time, I just forget to moisturize and seal my hair once its up in a bun for the week. Luckily with overnight deep conditioning, I think (that I MIGHT) be getting away with it! I guess that only time will tell. How often do you M&S?

      Delete
  12. I am just gushing over your curls, KLP. I've been swooning over them for the last couple of weeks, girl. You are officially my curl crush (is that even a thing? lol). I can't believe you are 66 weeks post! Loving those smooth, full curls, girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Dre! It's completely crazy that I'm able to have roots this smooth at 66 weeks post relaxer. Simply crazy! I'm not sure if its the tension from the perm rods, my combination of products or overnight deep conditioning. But you better believe that if it ain't broke, I SURELY won't fix it!

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous curls!
    I just do not know how to put them in! I can never get them taut enough.
    And don't lament your wet ends - of course they will look a little "wimpy" by the curls when wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally stole the perm rod idea from you! Partly my hair vertically instead of horizontally has helped. Also, I've been two strand twisting each section at least once before rolling on the rod and I start at my roots instead of my ends. Once I really get the hand of perm rods, I'll totally share all of the details of my installation process. Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  14. I love these curls, KLP!! You & Jen are making me really want to give up protective styling for awhile! I definitely don't have enough perm rods to do a full set but I've was gushing over perm rod sets all summer so I'm sure it won't be long before I do one of my own.

    And you're not alone in hating the look of your wet hair. I feel the same way about mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your braids are sooo cute. You can't stop protective styling now! I won't be able to live with the guilt honey! LOL. Maybe curling your crochet braids will help ease the perm rod itch for a while!

      Delete
  15. *sigh* these curls are everything. i've been saying. going back to the wash day post where you started so i can finally watch that how-to video you linked to. my Jealousy has finally inspired me!!

    again i love the curls!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!