Wednesday, October 22, 2014

[Hairstyle] Perm Rods + Tangles | WashDayExperience

 
I learned a lot about my beautiful multi-textured hair this week. 1. It's defiantly stubborn. 2. It's a bit bi-polar and 3. Without a good stretch on wash day---the rest of the week is miserable. I refused to repeat my mistakes from last week, so I broke out some old faithfuls from Jessicurl and dusted off my perm rods. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:




  1. Pre-Shampoo- I slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil whilst I detangled. I put my hair in about 6 bantu knots to keep my hair sectioned.
  2. Shampoo- with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream applied to each section.
  3. Extreme deep condition- I deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment on the length of my hair. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and left it for a few hours.
  4. Tea Rinse- using 1 black tea bag and 1 green tea bag steeped in 2 cups of water + 2 tbsp of glycerin.
  5. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  6. Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  7. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize and the teensiest amount of Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter to seal then set my hair on about 35 orange perm rods and left in overnight

It wasn't pretty for a while y'all. I had to cut out 3-4 knots. My nape was a tangled nightmare and suffered the worse of it all. Pre-wash detangling took about an hour vs my usual 15-20 minutes. I'm nervous that whenever I get around to straightening, I'm gonna have a janky hemline. *shudders* I'm still kicking myself in the butt.



There were a few tears shed and there might have been a few fudge bombs dropped. But, it all changed once I slathered my hair in Jessicurl Deep Treatment. Omgosh, this stuff is amazing. My hair simply soaked it up. I didn't use heat---I just let it sit for a few hours. And when I went to rinse---Ladies----we were back in business!



I still suck at installing my perm rods. Maybe I'm too meticulous---or maybe my fingers are still getting the hang of it all, but I feel like 1.5 hr installation time is ridiculous! I'm off to YouTube to find a quicker way! In the meantime---LOOK AT ALL THIS STUPID SHRINKAGE! Yes---I'm still amazed at how I go from MBL to barely even chin length overnight. Shrinkage is the devil!



It's pouring rain in my part of the world, so in a high bun all those curls went and I was on my way! Take a look at my roots---no gel, jam, or edge control. Glory be to perm rods for what they do to smooth my roots! And check out that silly straight end that never wants to act right! There's always one right?

I hope you had an amazing #washdayexperience chica!

Besitos!
KLP




38 comments:

  1. I just LOVE your curly styles. This high curly bun + curly bangs is so cute! ♥ if I tried perm rods again I'd end up looking like a wet curly-ish mop. And LOL at the second to last "WHAAAAAAAAAT" picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahha! You're a trip Jen! You'd probably KILL us all with your glorious perm rod curls!

      But seriously tho---shrinkage is crazy!

      Delete
  2. Love it, looks awesome, especially the updo!!! You don't suck at installing them, you're far too modest. You make me want to whip out my perm rods, maybe next wash day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90 minutes for installation time? I'm obviously the closest perm rod setter in the world! LOL.

      You should totally whip out your perm rods! Have you done a set since your chop?

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  3. Back to the curls lol. Looks great as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep---back to the curls. I probably shouldn't have left! Last week was a nightmare!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow... your curls are gorge!!! If my hair looks like this after 90 mins of roller setting, then SO BE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seriously looking forward to installing some perm rods. I love your facial expressions in those photos lol. How comfy is sleeping in those rods? Btw the up-do is Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, Sleeping in them hasn't been a challenge yet. All of the rods set flush to my scalp so there's nothing sticking out or poking into my head (unlike my flex-rod experience).

      I also love that my hair is dry within 4 hours without heat. I'm guessing that an hour or less under the hooded dryer would work too. But you won't see me testing that theory anytime soon. (I HATE sitting under the dryer!)

      Delete
  6. I love your curls. How long do they last after the wash day? I cant curl my hair with any curling tool to save my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I use a holding product, I get 2 days of cute spiral curls and then another day of soft waves. So my week usually goes something like:

      Day1- Curls down
      Day 2- Half up/half down or faux bob
      Day 3- Curly high pony
      Day 4- Curly high pony
      Day 5,6,7- High bun

      I haven't curled my hair with heat in forever, but I really don't remember it lasting for as long as when I use rods or bantu knots.

      Delete
  7. Your hair look so great.
    I love your curl.
    For my wash day , I use to deep conditionning with too Shea extra Moisturizing conditionner. I never used Jessicurl Deep traitement . It's seems it's on my wishlist now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Too Shea, then you will LOVE the Deep Treatment. Sometimes I'm scared that it might give me moisture overload---and I don't even use heat with it! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  8. You should change your name to Curly KLP! Your curls always come out so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! You're sooo sweet Lydz! Based on what I learned last week about what happens when I don't stretch my hair...y'all are gonna get tried of my curls soon because it's definitely here to stay.

      Delete
  9. Oh I feel your pain with the tangling! I take a way too lax approach to detangling now and just suffered a full on hair 'mare after washing it today. Lots of hair lost down the drain from getting very impatient :/
    Your hair looks awesome and your shrinkage picture is so cute x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Lesley I'm sorry chica. These tangles aren't for the faint at heart. The good news is that now we definitely know better and we'll do better! Thanks for stopping by! Your next #washdayexperience will be STELLAR!

      Delete
  10. Love the curls! Your curly bun makes me want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it chica!! Curls for everyone! LOL (Challenging my inner Oprah!)

      Delete
  11. Let me try this again! Your hair looks awesome! Very soft, moisturized and with sheen. You're really rocking those perm rods. I hope you didn't have to cut much with the tangled knots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I few of the SSK knots were at the ends---I think that I'll be okay there. But a couple were at the line of demarcation. *shudders* I'm dreading straightening to access the damage.

      Delete
  12. I probably shed a few tears every wash day, so don't fret! But I am sorry to hear you had to break out the shears! I finally have some length in my life and I would be really peeved if I had to cut it because of tangles, but those tangles do not mess around, when they're there, they are there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to get a good majority of them out without too much trouble. But for the others---it was cut them or spend another hour detangling. I opted for the scissors. LOL. #aintnobodygottimeforthat

      Delete
  13. Your curly styles are the cutest! The up-do is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol @ the hair being bi-polar! I know, right?! It is like Georgia weather sometimes. I love the up-do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair acts like it's sooo confused sometimes. Plus--it definitely doesn't help that my curly roots have taken over!

      Delete
  15. Love love love the curls girlie! Hair that's lost on Washday is always devastating to an extent but your hair looks healthy and fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sooo encouraging Rachel! Cross your fingers with me when I straighten *winces* I pray that it's not as bad as I think it is!

      Delete
  16. Your perm rod set looks great! I know I couldn't get anywhere with them. I would look a mess. LOL! Beautiful results and I love the up-do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look back on my first set---I shudder a little. My roots were super poofy and my curls had no real shape to them. I think that practicing is really helping---so I definitely suggest that you do the same. Plus if worse comes to worse---girl---pull them curls up into a high bun and call it a day!

      Delete
  17. LOVE the perm rod curls!
    If you need any more orange ones, let me know! I want bigger curls now, so I am planning to get rid of these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohhhhhhh!!!! Which size are you going for next? I've been tempted to buy a couple packs of gray rods to see what my curl would look like...

      Delete
  18. What a successful ways day! Loving the perm rod curls. They look so cute on you!! Jessicurl products are the greatest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunshyne! Omgosh---idk what I would do without my Too Shea Moisturizer. Best. EVER!

      Delete
  19. Your hair looks gorgeous! I love the curls. It might have been rough in the beginning but the outcome was great!

    adventuresofanappychica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline! I really learned my lesson the hard way today!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!