Wednesday, May 21, 2014

[Hairstyle] Bantu Knots on Transitioning Hair | Wash Day


Contrary to what it looks like, I usually wear my hair up 5 days out of the week. On wash days, I typically set my hair in bantu knots to stretch my roots, wear them out for a day, maybe two, then it's back to the usual bun, braid, or updo. I promise you that my hair life is far less than ordinary and really quite boring. Any who, here's how I washed my hair this week:


  1. Pre-Shampoo- I gently detangled with my fingers and slathered on extra virgin coconut oil. 
  2. Shampoo- with Bobeam Rootz Herbal Hair Grower Shampoo bar. (Tutorial: How to use a shampoo bar)
  3. Extreme deep condition- I deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment on my roots and  Joico K-pak Reconstructor conditioner on my ends. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my hooded dryer for an hour.
  4. Rosemary Green Aloe Hair Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied 1 part steeped green tea + 1 part aloe vera juice + 2 springs of rosemary, using a narrow tip applicator to my strands--focusing on the roots. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed.
  5. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  6. Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  7. Leave ins- I used the LOC method, starting with a little extra virgin coconut oil, Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, + my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter, I tension blow dried my roots on cool. Then using a dab of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on my ends, I bantu knotted in about 10 sections.

Results: 
Happy curls! When I stick to the basic ABCs of bantu knots, my curls are usually happy go lucky. When I don't...well...it's not all pixie dust and rainbows. I'm really glad that I deep conditioned with a little Joico K-pak on my ends. After writing this post, I realized it's been a while since my last protein treatment. This wash should buy me a little more time. It's been a while since my last straightening/trim too---about 3 months I think. I probably should do that soon too. Too much to do never enough time to do it in!

How was your last wash day?

Besitos!
KLP




    The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES

    1. Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
    2. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
    3. Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring  comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone! 






    21 comments:

    1. I love your big, fluffy bantu knots! They look so soft, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Melanie! They were super soft. Jessicurl NEVER fails *runs over to knock on wood* LOL

        Delete
    2. Too much to do is the story of our lives:-) Happy curls, indeed! I love your hair. I stopped pre-pooing my hair with coconut oil awhile ago. Now I am back to doing it. I has made a difference.

      ReplyDelete
    3. ohhh your Bantus KOs aint nothing to play with chica! As per usual..great definition and shine

      ReplyDelete
    4. Love the results! You've made me want to revisit joico too! x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I've yet to meet a Joico product that I didn't like! The Kpak and Moisture Recovery balm are great!

        Thanks for stopping by chica!

        Delete
    5. UGH! Why do your bantus always come out SO GOOD?!?!?!
      Gorgeous as always!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't know but I hope that it never stops! Then what will I do? Ha-ha!

        Thanks for stopping by chica!

        Delete
    6. Your bantu knots are gorgeous. I really want to try some Jessi curl products but I'm abit unsure of how my hair will react.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I've used Jessicurl Too Shea on all of my relatives with curly hair---Then they try to steal it from me. It's just that good!

        Delete
    7. Oh how I wish my bantu knots would come out half as gorgeous as yours. The shine! I'm drooling (in a good way, obviously) x

      ReplyDelete
    8. You are definitely the BKO boss. I need to revisit this style soon.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm starting to think that I'm bantu knot obsessed. I try to convince myself to try other things---but it doesn't work. LOL!

        Delete
    9. Your BKO is to die for! I will definitely be incorporating a holding product in my BKO I am being to love them more and more!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Just a dab of holding product keeps my curls happy when I want to wear them out. When I'm just using bantu knots to stretch my roots---I skip that step.

        Delete
    10. Your BKO is great! Would you consider showing us a picture of your BK next time you do them? I'd like to see how you do it because don't come out as nice.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Absolutely! Check out this YT tutorial from whoissuga---I studied it a thousand times when I was trying to learn how to bantu knot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4nTT6XuRU0

        Delete

    We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!