Thursday, December 31, 2015

[Hairystyle] Heatless Blowout on Natural Hair + Length Check!



I walked into 2015 knowing that the likelihood of me retaining length would be slim to none. I loved my long bob cut---but after the first wash---I realized that I still had a few inches of texlaxed hair on the ends.



Thus, I began Operation Curl! I dusted every wash day for the first month, conditioned like crazy, and tried protein treatments. It really helped me to be able to distinguish between my texlaxed ends and the rest of my unprocessed hair.



So in April, I just went in for the kill. BUH-BYE straighter ends.


Instantly---I was obsessed with my curls! I twilled my fingers in them. I picked and pulled at them.

And 4 months later---I had frayed, split, dry, didn't really wanna curl, ends as a result.


Ugh.

It was time to get my life together for reals y'all.

I got a fresh trim. Throw in some clip in extensions. And rocked it all Autumn.

And now I'm back with my final length check of the year!

I actually didn't wash my hair today. It was still super moisturized from my Curlformer set a few days before, so I went for a Heatless Blowout!



Here's what I used:

And here's how I did it:
  1. Start with stretched hair. (I stretched my hair using Curlformers a few days before)
  2. Divide your hair into 8 sections. I made 4 sections in the back and two on each side of my hair. Secure each section with a hair clip.
  3. Beginning with a small section of hair from the back, very very lightly mist the section with water. You'll want a good misting bottle for this. I use this cool gem from the Vitamin Shoppe. One spritz could do the trick.
  4. Next, start to gently finger detangle from our ends up to the roots.  
  5. Apply a little oil or hair butter to seal your ends. I'm using Camille Rose Whipped Butter in the pictorial. 
  6. Then to achieve a more stretched look, further detanlge gently using a modified Denman Brush.
  7. Secure the detanlged section with a hair clip then move on to the next section. 
  8. Repeat until all of your hair is "blown out"
  9. (Optional) Fluff hair using a wide tooth comb
Once I was done with my faux blow out, I trimmed my ends, and did a length check for you guys!

My bangs area is still the shortest at 8 1/2" (it was 7 3/4" at the end of September). Which didn't come to me as a surprise. because I know that my bangs grow slower than the rest of my hair. The left and right sides of my hair are 10" each (previously 9"). While, my left and right nape is 10" (previously 8" and 9" respectively)

December 2015 Length Check

Considering that the average hair growth rate is 1/2" per month + the fact that I trimmed about 1/4- 1/2" off each section---I think that I'm right on track. I'm not gonna make any promises but I do hope to do another length check in a few months. I can't promise to do heatless blowouts often either, as it is a TON of manipulation, I do really love this big fluffy hair!

September Length 2015 Check


How was your #washdayexperience? When was the last time that you did a length check? Share it below!

14 comments:

  1. Great Wash Day post! Girl you hair is always on point no matter what style you do! I just love it! I am sure you and your hair will do great in 2016! My last length check was on 12/19/2015 and I was able to retain all the 3 inches you should get in a six month stretch. I am hoping to repeat this in 2016! Hope you have a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Talk to ya next year!

    Keoshia

    http://mrsdoingme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All 3 inches?!? Omgosh---I wanna be JUST like you when I grow up! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. your hair looks great; I haven't done a length check recently but will do one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! Fingers crossed that I can remember to length checks a little more regularly in 2016!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting blowout technique! And congrats on the length retention!! How did you get those teeth out? I've been trying to pluck mine out from the denman brush, but they are so secure... I did a length check a few weeks ago, I didn't retain length but I gained lots of thickness and a fuller hemline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take fullness and healthy ends over length any day too chica! Check out this vid from YT on how to modify your denman brush: https://youtu.be/VGXo_maFQaA?t=2m30s

      Delete
  4. Drools over hair. Never thought of heartless blowout!!
    I just did something similar and so the texlaxed ends, mine were more than 3/4 feels am at TWA now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure 2016 will brings tons of health and length. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed chica! Happy 2016 to you and the Mr. too!

      Delete
  6. Great blow out. My daughters wear their hair natural, will show this post to them. Happy new year babe.
    http://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that it helps your girls! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Great post K! I've lurked a lot and cheered you on from the sidelines. You've done amazing things with your hair. I love each and every style you showcase. You've had such great fun getting to know your hair.

    Jay of www.relaxedthairapy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thanks so much chica! *teardrop* I appreciate you!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!