Wednesday, May 11, 2016

How To Use Lush Henna on Natural Hair


Henna has been on my must try list for years. No really. YEARS. Why? Because it looks messy, time consuming, and seems a little more complicated than this chemistry flunking chica can handle. Plus I was just plan scurred.



RELATED: Why I have henna on the brain


Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I'm in Lush and I see their Caca henna collection. They did all the hard work for you. Pick your color, chop up the amount of henna you need, add water and then apply. Like---have you ever seen a henna recipe that simple?

So I picked up a block of the Caca Rouge and did a happy dance. Here's how I got started, prepped the henna, and applied my henna.

START WITH A STRAND TEST

 

Have y'all seen this video by Chemese? She had a severe allergic reaction to what she thought was henna. Yeah---enough said. So the day before I decided to do a strand test. I started by chopping off a tiny bit of the henna block, adding a little warm water to it and applying it to a small section of my nape. I left it on for about 3 hours then rinsed. I also tested a patch on the inside of my arm just to make sure.


PREP YOUR HENNA BLOCK

 

The next day, I moved ahead with a full application. Here's how to prep the henna:
  1. Break the henna into pieces. 
  2. Put your pieces into a glass bowl
  3. Add boiling water a few tablespoons at a time. 
  4. Then mix and add water until you have a cake batter consistency.  Keep the henna mixture warm for easily application. (I just placed my bowl in a warm water bath to keep it warm)

    APPLY YOUR HENNA

     

    When I did the strand test, I noticed that it was really difficult to apply the henna to my hair dry. So I decided for the full application, to apply the henna to freshly co washed hair. (I also did this because my hair had a ton of product in it from my previous wash and go style. I didn't want the product buildup to prevent the henna from absorbing into my hair.) Starting with damp clean hair, I applied Lush's Ultrabalm to my hairline and ears to prevent staining. Then I:
    5. Apply the warm henna in sections to your hair, cover hair with cling film and leave for 3 hours.
    6. Wash the henna from your hair using warm water then deep condition. 

    After application, I hopped under my hooded dryer for an hour then I let the henna sit on my hair for 3 more hours. The Lush salesgirl told me that heat would activate the henna even more and allow my hair to absorb more color.

    I rinsed the henna for what felt like FOREVER until the water ran clean. Then I did my usual clay rinse.

    RELATED: How to get your curls to POP!

    I've done two henna treatments over the last month. Here are what my results look like so far:


    HENNA RESULTS


    The first time that I henna'd it was pretty much impossible to catch the subtle color on camera. But the second time, I really saw a difference, especially in sun. It actually reminds me of what my color looks like after a summer at the beach. The effect of henna on your hair color is cumulative--meaning that each time you do a treatment, your color will get deeper and richer. Which is exactly what I'm looking for! The process was actually easier than I thought it would be and my hair feels thicker and dare I say fuller (as if my hair wasn't already stupid full) than before.

    How was your #washdayexperience? Would you ever consider using henna on your hair?

    Besitos!
    KLP



    31 comments:

    1. I like how subtle yet noticeable your hair colour is from the henna. And yes, that is the easiest henna recipe that I have come accross, did it stain your shower as your rinsed it out?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Becca! You have no idea how many times I tried to take pictures that actually captured the color!

        Nope---no staining at all. I did get a blop on the floor and didn't notice it until the next day. Luckily a little hydrogen peroxide cleaned it right up!

        Thanks for stopping by chica!

        Delete
    2. I like the subtle color. I want to try henna but not sure I want to change my hair color, so I'm on th sideline for now.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hey chica!

        There is a "clear henna" that doesn't affect your color. It just strengthens your hair and gives it a great shine. I believe that its called Cassia but definitely fact check me!

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    3. I like your results, the fact that your hair is not as red as the ones I see on the web.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Joie. I think that my color will probably get deeper and richer over time. I'm kinda hoping to get that beautiful red/auburn sun-glow that is common with "red" henna. The tricky thing with henna is that your results depend on your starting color. So if you already have highlights (like from the sun) then those highlights will be brighter than the rest of your hair.

        Delete
    4. I could totally do THIS. Not nearly as much work as doing the henna completely yourself. I'll be anxiously watching your journey to see how the color develops over time after more applications. Also, do you have any grey hair? If so, does the henna affect them also and how (lighter or darker)?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I totally agree. Just add water and apply. Like...HOW EASY IS THAT?!?!

        I don't have any grays (yet). I assume that if you did have grays, the henna would give them a beautiful auburn/highlight. I can say that if I did have grays because I've had such a good experience with henna, I would definitely use it over traditional chemical hair dyes.

        Delete
    5. Very nice! do you have any tips or regimen starter for breakage at the crown?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Christina!

        The crown/bang area of my hair has always grown slower than the rest of my head so I can totally relate. Check out a few of my tips for Growing Out Your Bangs. I wrote this post while my hair was still relaxed, but I still use the same exact techniques now that my hair is completely unprocessed.

        Delete
      2. Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it :)

        Delete
      3. Welcomes! Let me know if it works! It took me forever to get my bangs the same length as my hemline but it was sooo worth it!

        Delete
    6. I love your results!! And I especially love how easy the process is! I can't wait to see how your hair color develops over time.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm a regular henna head but have never used Lush. I buy my henna from one of 3 places: Mehandi.com, Butters n Bars or Henna Sooq.

      for those interested in if it covers grays, that's an emphatic yes. i have a head full of red hairs but they are actually gray. You have to use henna with a high enough lawsone content though...At least 2% for great coverage

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm pretty petrified about the mixing/recipe portion of hennaing which is why I love that Lush's henna. Premixed for the win!

        Delete
      2. it's soooooo easy to mix. Just mix to the consistency of mashed potatoes (to prevent drippies) And, don't believe the hype You don't need to use an acidic mix. i use straight boiled (and cooled down) water. When I used the acidic mixes (black tea, lemon juice etc), it made my scalp itch too much. So I decided to try with water and my results are the same. I also only leave it on for 2 hours and guess what? same results! I was torturing myself with 1/2 day to over night henna sessions. Never again.

        Delete
    8. My hair has a brownish tint to it from various angles. It's hard to catch it on camera as well. Many have had great experience with henna. Other say it dries out the hair. I've never given it a try. I don't have a Lush store near me but when I go out of town next month, I'll swing by the store and have a look at their selection. However, I think I want to do a clear rinse.

      Your hair looks amazing! You really know how to define your curls. I need to study up in that dept.


      Jay | RelaxedThairapy.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Lush Caca Brun is what they'll probably recommend for you. It won't drastically change your hair color but it will give your hair a glossy shine. Just be careful---once you start hennaing your hair---you might not want to stop!

        Oh and I attribute that curl action to my uber moisturizing regimen + clay rinsing!

        Thanks for stopping by chica!

        Delete
    9. The hassle of henna deters me. But your recipe looks so simple. The definition of your curls is so pretty.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can absolutely relate to that Tomi! What I like about the Lush henna is that the recipe is super simple (just add water) then you only have to leave it on for a few hours unlike other henna applications where you need to leave it on overnight.

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    10. Ooooh, I need to drag my Lush Caca Noir out. I might do it next week!

      Great post and for hair looks beautiful x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh gosh, I can only imagine hoe beautiful your hair is after a Noir treatment! Question: have you experienced any changes in your curls after using henna? Some people say that it loosens your curl pattern.

        Delete
    11. Love your results, KLP dear and the thickness of your hair is everything.

      www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks chica! Thickness is a gift and a curse when coupled with the ridiculous amount of shrinkage my curls have! But you know what? I wouldn't want it any other way!

        Delete
    12. Popping curls for the win!!! Gorgeous hair as always.

      Moma's Healthy Hair Journey

      ReplyDelete

    We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!