Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wash and Go Magic! | The #WashDayExperience

Every time that I wash my hair---I fall in love with my curl pattern a little more. Aren't my curls just the tiniest coiliest kinkiest curls that you ever did see? Okay, maybe I'm bias. But for as much as I love a good stretched curl former set, high puff, or updo---I love my curls 3 million times more. Which is why I'm more determined than ever to get this wash and go thing right.



Plus in honor of this week's #washdayexperience: "Next Day Hair." I used an old technique in a new way to give my wash and go a little stretch without heat.



Here's what I used:

Pre-shampoo/Strengthening Treatment- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (review here)
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here)
Clay Rinse- Here's the dets on my recipe
Leave-Ins- Castor Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + EccoStyler Krystal Klear Gel (shop it!)


RELATED: My Minimalist Natural Hair Regimen

First, I spritzed the ends of my hair with my DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here). Then I slathered my hair in warmed Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (review here) as I detangled. I love this conditioner because it helps makes breakage disappear, defines my curls and it has a TON of slip. I covered with a plastic cap and sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes.

RELATED: Tips for making your deep conditioner more effective 

Day 1 hair

After rinsing the conditioner in the shower, my hair felt amazing. Soft but strong and the curl definition/elongation was on point. Yay for protein treatments! I t-shirt dried for a few minutes then applied my FAVEEEE deep conditioner Jessicurl Deep Treatment (review here). Next, I layered on a little Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to seal in the conditioner. I covered with a plastic cap and left it in overnight.

RELATED: Why I Deep Condition Overnight

The next morning, I rinsed the conditioner, t-shirt dried for a couple of minutes then applied Jamaican Black Castor oil (shop it)+ Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) as my leave ins.

Day 1 hair

My Wash and Go Technique #2


I put my hair into 5 sections then secured each with a hair clip. Starting with the back, I spritzed it with water until it was soaking wet then finger detangled until my hair clumped into curls. Then I smoothed a little gel on the roots. Next, I raked a little more gel through all the way until the ends and gently shook out the curls. (aka the rake and shake technique)

The application process took me about 35-40 minutes to do. Then I let my hair air dry for the rest of the day (approx 5 hours)

My hair was a bit damp at the roots, but I didn't want to use heat and potentially disturb my curl pattern. So I banded my hair using some extra wide hair ties. Then let my hair dry overnight.

Banding to stretch my curls


The banding actually helped break the gel cast and stretched my curls without destroying them (like I did the first time...smh) I noticed that the front of my hair is where I have the worse gel cast. Does this happen to anyone else?



So far this is the best wash and go that I've been able to produce! Here's an outline of what I did differently: Clay rinse after deep conditioning, applied castor oil instead of coconut oil to my freshly  washed hair, changed from EccoStyler EVOO to EccoStyler Krystal Klear, and I let my hair air dry then banded to elongate the curls. The next day---I banded again and got even BETTER results!



I finally got my curls to look the same when they are wet---as when they are dry! WASH AND GO MAGIC!!!! For my next wash and go, I plan to use regular ol castor oil instead of JBCO. I love the way that the JBCO kept my hair moisturized and really defined my curls, but the scent is just too woodsy for me. Plus, regular old castor oil is definitely more economical. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to perfecting this wash and go thing!



How was your #washdayexperience? Feel free to share the details with the rest of our healthy hair tribe!

Besitos!
KLP




23 comments:

  1. Your curl pattern is definitely pretty! Good job with making your wash-n-go look pretty even by the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joie! I'm hoping that I can get this wash and go to last a couple of days---if I can, then this regimen is a keeper!

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna have to bookmark, pin, evernote this post for the steps to this amazing wash n go you created here, you hear! And with even better 2nd day hair too! Now, you're just showing off! LOL. But I love it.
    My wash n go's just turn into fros, not that I'm complaining, but it helps to know that there is a possibility to get some definition and elongation on these kinks and coils. If not today, one day down the road, since my forever TWA refuses to show the reality of its true length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet Josie!!!

      If I can get these curls to last a couple of days then this regimen will truly be a winner winner! I want to test this regiment again using regular castor oil because using JBCO all over my hair twice a week is definitely going to get expensive FAST. LOL.

      When I first attempted the wash and go, I had trouble with my curl definition/elongation too. What I'm realizing now is that definition begins with uber moisturized hair. Because once I upped my regimen and actually stuck to it---I was able to get the definition that I wanted.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you have mastered wash and go's. I actually prefer seeing those more than other styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I prefer doing them (now that I think that I've figured it out...lol) than other styles. It just feels like ME!

      Delete
  4. You have the meanest curl, lovely hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have WnG magic! I love the idea of banding to stretch your length without losing your curls. I have to admit, I'm tempted to try...but I'll follow along just a lil bit longer to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on day 3 today. My hair still feels uber moisturized and the curls are in tact! I lost just a smidge of definition in the very front because of a sweaty cardio workout but so far this is DEFINITELY a success!

      Delete
  6. So pretty! You just might make me attempt this wash n go thing. Lord help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wash and gos aren't for the faint of heart---especially when you have CRAZY thick hair! But Sandra---if I could give you some of my giddy crazy stoked excitement when I finally got it right---I would! LOL. Just don't give up on the first try! YOU CAN DO IT!

      Delete
  7. I love the thickness of your hair and your curls are definitely popping. You have definitely mastered the art of a Wash & Go!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! I'm not sure if I've "mastered" it yet...but I'm feeling so much more confident now! Fingers crossed that I can replicate these results next wash day! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Your curls are beautiful great job on your wash and go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The banding method is a must for natural hair -- well, for my natural hair. I band my hair throughout the week long after wash day has come and gone. It def helps to keep it stretched.

    Jay | RelaxedThairapy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Jay! I never realized how well banding could elongate my hair without destroying the curl pattern until now! Banding for the win!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  10. Your hair is growing so much! Wow, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Shrinkage is definitely a liar when it comes to my length. But I'm learning to work with it...and embrace it as best I can!

      Delete
  11. Wooot!! That is some real wash and grow, sorry go - magic!! Your curls are so defined and your hair is growing!!!! I will try my wash and go ago with your method, I also found the drying process rather long but I didn't want to use heat too, will try banding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh...fingers crossed that this is a good starting point for you chica!

      I'm still in the testing phase. I have a few more tweaks that I want to do. Plus I really need to replicate these results before I can scream from the mountain tops that I've mastered the wash and go! Stay tuned!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!