Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Best of 2015: My Hair's Hits & Misses


2015 was a really great year for my hair. I wasn't concerned with length, I didn't use heat, and I lived for deep conditioning. I still made a TON of mistakes along the way. Here's a recap of the best things (and the worse things) that happened to my hair.



Hits: Protective Styling

If you haven't read about my LOVE AFFAIR with Kurly Klips---then---idk where you've been chile! It's all that I talked about for the last 6 months! So here's your chance to catch up on why I think that





Hits: Trimming

I've trimmed and dusted my hair several times this year (Like here, here, here, and here). Way more than I ever have in my healthy hair journey. And while frequent trimming would have been a miss for me in past years---this year it was a hit. My hair is as healthy as it's ever been. My curls look fantastic when wet and my ends are perfectly blunt---and y'all know that I LIVE for healthy blunt ends!




Hits: Curlformers, Perm Rods, and Twist Outs
When my hair wasn't in a protective style---I styled using (most recently) curlformers, perm rods and twist outs. I can't say that I've masted any one of them, but I can say that y'all will definitely see more of them next year.



Hits: My New Staple Products Bentonite Clay Hair Mask Treatment
When I first chopped my hair, I cut it whilst it was straight---which was a total mistake because I was still left with some bits of straight hair on my bangs. It was nearly impossible to tell the difference between my texlaxed hair and my natural curl so I turned to Bentonite Clay! It's amazingness in a jar. It's moisturizing, detoxifying, a shine enhancer, frizz eliminator----just curl defining goodness. Here's how I mix it up and get my curls poppin!


Misses: Wash and Gos
I mean---wash and NOsss!  After about a month of experimenting with wash and gos---I realized that my hair behaves better when it's stretched. It's less tangled, it stays moisturized, my end are far less prone to breakage. Maybe one day, I'll revisit wash and gos, but for now---I'm staying far far away from them.



Misses: High Puffs
My staple natural hair style! Omgosh---how I love this style. It's effortless. And that's the problem. It's so effortless that I'll rock this style for days without moisturizing or sealing my hair. My ends dry out and the curls tangle. Whilst, I'm not vowing to never wear a high puff again, I am going to wear them less and make sure that I moisturize my hair better. Plus, my hair is long enough now, that I can rock a high bun instead! Which is far more kind to my ends!

What were the best (and not so wonderful) moments of your #washdayexperience this year? Share the dets below!

Besitos!
KLP




18 comments:

  1. Wash and go's are on my HIT list this year. I've got a good routine down that doesn't take much time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky ducky! How do you combat dry ends and tangles?

      Delete
    2. I give a good finger detangling while I'm washing/conditioning, and I finger comb the product through my hair, essentially continuing to detangle, so when the gel dries my curls are "frozen" in place and don't get tangled. Then I sleep in very loose twists so it doesn't tangle at night. Good conditioning beforehand keeps my hair from getting dry.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh! Maybe that' my problem! I haven't found a gel that I like (I honestly don't really like gel to begin with) that "freezes" my curls into place. I need some time to hype myself up again---then I'll definitely try your suggestion chica!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. KLP you're awesome especially with styling your hair, congrats on your HITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are tons of hits and i'm sure you will turn your misses into hits for 2016. All the best for 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that I can turn those misses into hits next year!

      Delete
  4. Your curls are everything KLP! I have been inspired by them throughout the year!

    High puffs are like the holy grail of many natural sistahs, it just goes to show that what works for many may not always work for you.

    I think I am going to attempt a no heat challenge like you did this year. How did you do your trims without straightening your hair? I missed that part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love me a high puff! It's just that I get soooo lazy in them. I don't moisturize and seal the way that I should then my ends dry out. My plan is to try to wear the puff a lot less (maybe once a week) and hopefully replace it with a high bun.

      Delete
  5. You have very beautiful hair, your styles are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KLP, what's the code for the badge? I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWww u can still do your wash and go. How about banding it once it's dry? It alters the look of the curl but it still looks beautifull I sometimes band and sometimes don't since my curls tend to steetch on their own over time.

    I would never have known that pic with the clip ins wasn't your real hair. It looks so natural!

    Your high puff is cute too. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl...I just need to get my wash and go life together. I'll keep your amazing tip about banding them in mind for the next time that I try it. Fingers crossed that its the missing piece!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!