Monday, July 15, 2013

Mini Wash

Since my relaxer, I've done nothing at all with my hair. Nightly, I detangled, moisturized with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Protector and sealed with grapeseed oil. My hair started off pretty flat so by my wash day it was pretty lifeless. <shrugs> As many of you know, I attended Black Hair Kitchen's 1st Annual Hair Expo in the heart of Washington, DC. Now y'all know that I wasn't going with some flat limp hair right!?! Ha-ha! Here's how I washed and styled by hair for the event:
Wash Day Products
  1. Detangled- using my Magic Star Jumbo Rake seamless comb
  2. Extreme Deep Condition- with JBCO on my scalp and Halka Baba de Caracol on the length of my hair. Then I massaged my stands with Extra Virgin Coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and relaxed under my heat cap for about 2 hours. 
  3. Tea Rinse- I rinsed the conditioner then with 2 green tea bads steeped in 2 cups of water, I applied my tea rinse using a narrow tip applicator. I let it sit for a few minutes and rinsed. 
  4. Smoothing Treatment- Next, I applied a dollop of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment, massaged it in from root to tip for a minute or two then rinsed. I've had my liter bottle of PMSSDT for over a year now and it's finally run out! I love it and its definitely a staple, but I have a few bottles of conditioner that I need to use up before I repurchase it. I just hope that I don't regret it!
  5. Air Dried- 75% wrapped in a cotton t shirt
  6. Leave-ins- Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, Bee Mine Bee Lovely Hair and Scalp Moisturizer, and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I split my hair into about 10 sections and bantu knotted. 

Results: 
Perfect heat free curls! I'm totally in love with Jessicurl and it will be the first new staple in my product arsenal this year! Woop! I got tons of compliments on the curls. I was in and out of 90+ degree heat but they still lasted relatively frizz free. The next day, for church, I pulled my curls up into a big curly bun with my bangs pulled to the side. 
I had a blast at the expo. Got a ton of sample swag. And found a couple of new products to try. Pretty good for a few hours work. 

How was your latest wash day? How is your hair beating the heat?

Besitos chicas!

KLP

25 comments:

  1. Your knots came out great! The curls are really defined. Maybe I'll give them another chance. Bantu knots is a heatless style I can't perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aku! Keep trying. It literary took me dozens of tries before I figured it out and I'm sooo glad that I did.

      Delete
    2. Do you use anything to hold the knots?

      Delete
    3. My bantu knot cocktail is jessicurl too shea conditioner+evco+shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie

      Delete
    4. thanks girl! So no ponytail holders huh? I just gotta figure out how to get them to stay in

      Delete
    5. No ma'am. When you coil them tight enough (but not too tight) and tuck, the ends stay put. I'm working on a tutorial that will be posted later this week. Stay tuned mamita.

      Delete
  2. beautiful outcome. bantu knots are your way to go through this summer, girl!
    how do you like the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received my goodies! Thank you. The packaging was awesome. I cannot wait to use them.
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Nerline! I hope that you love the Matrix Hydrotherapie line as much as we do!

      Delete
  4. I miss doing Bantu Knots, but yours came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! Bring the Bantu knots back for the summer!

      Delete
  5. Your bantu knot looks super cute!!!

    I have also recently got the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment and have tried using it after my black tea rinse and then after my deep conditioner, and I find I like it better after my deep conditioner, though I really love the performance, for how much it is am happy it last you for a full year, I hope mine lasts for a full year too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks darling! I prefer to use the PMSSDT as the last step in my wash too. The best part of PMSSDT is that you don't need much of it to get great results---the biggest reason why my liter bottle lasted for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the outcome is beautiful,klp. looks like you've found your heat freestyle to go through this summer,congrats :)

    how do you like the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie? would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm in love with bantu knots.

      The jury is still out on SM curl enhancing smoothie. I've had this tub for years. Literally. It was one of the first Shea Moisture items that I bought right before they hit it big in early 2011. It's still 3/4 full because it can't find ways to use it. I usually don't review a product until I've finished the bottle but I don't see that happening any time soon.

      It's not a deep conditioner and I wouldn't classify it as a leave-in conditioner either. I don't find it particularly moisturizing. It's more of a creamy butter/pudding that seals in whatever moisturizer I've used first, provides a slight soft hold, and aids in curl definition. This totally works for my bantu knot cocktail and I'm madly in love with its scent. It smells like an all accommodations paid lifetime vacation on a private island. Yep. That's what Coconut and Hibiscus smell like to me. Ha-ha!

      Thanks Bebe!

      Delete
    2. thanks for your answer :)
      i read alot of reviews about it during the last weeks and i still cannot make a decision.
      your description of the smell definitely just make me wanna purchasing it,haha

      Delete
    3. I truly think that its a hit or miss product depending on the way that you intend on using it. My good friend is natural with fine curly strands. She uses it as the "C" component of the LOC method when she does Wash and Gos. Her WNGs always look amazingly defined. My daughter has a similar texture---but this stuff does little to define and leaves her hair a big frizzy mess.

      Nonetheless---the scent is to die for!

      Delete
  8. YAS girl those curls are ev-er-y-thang!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes Ebony you're right -- they are errrythang and then some!! So cute.

      Delete
    2. There is just too much humidity this summer to be fooling around with smooth flowy hair. If you can't beat 'em---join 'em!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!