Wednesday, October 29, 2014

[Hairstyle] Perm Rods on Transitioning Hair | Wash Day


    So...I had this master plan to give all every single little detail about my perm rod sets today. I was gonna take a zillion pictures---but you know that only 3 would have been blog-worthy. I even considered filming my installation process. Then realized that my weirdness would be completely revealed---and scratched that idea too. My brilliant plan also included mapping out all the how to's and what to use. Then...I woke up late. Didn't even have time to take down all of my rollers. Yep. That's what the universe thinks of my mater plan. Smh.


    Instead---here's the condensed version. With a few silly pics! Here's how my #washdayexperience went...


    1. Extreme Deep Condition- I detangled my hair in about 8 sections then applied Matrix Hydrasource Conditioner to my roots and Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe from the line of demarcation to my ends. Afterwards, I applied a little extra virgin coconut oil from root to tip to seal in the conditioner. I covered with a plastic cap + knit beanie for a few hours.
    2. Tea Rinse- I hopped in the shower to rinse the conditioner section by section. Then I applied my tea rinse of 2 green tea bags + 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of glycerin. I let the mixture sit on my hair for about 5 minutes.
    3. Detangling Treatment- I rinsed the tea then applied a Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
    4. Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
    5. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize and extra virgin coconut oil to seal, then set my hair on orange perm rods and left in overnight (approx 4-5 hours) 

     

    The Results:
    I totally didn't have enough time to take down all of my rollers before I needed to get gone---so I improvised. Hello crochet beanie. Hello curly fringe. I think that I'll keep you!

    I wanted a fuller perm rod set this time, but using more rods wasn't really an option---I kinda forgot to buy more. Instead, I took each section, divided it into two, then two strand twisted it a few times. Starting from the roots, I wrapped my hair around the rods and secured. It makes take down super easy, you get twice as many curls and ZERO breakage from trying to divide and fluff your curls. #winning


    I don't plan to wear these curls down much, so I skipped a holding product on my ends. The curls from perm rods are awesome---don't get me wrong---but I love them most for how they stretch my roots to blend all this 15 months post relaxer textures. 


    Promise you won't tell my secret?!

    How was your #washdayexperience?

    Besitos!

    KLP



    38 comments:

    1. I feel your pain. I am the queen of good intentions. I'm hoping to do my bantu knots today. If not, I'm going straight wild kingdom and Mufasa style with a part down the middle. LOL
      Tiki | Grow It Girl

      ReplyDelete
    2. Don't you look cute?! I'm all about stretching those roots!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks chica! I've learned my lesson the very very hard painful way what happens when I don't stretch my roots.

        Delete
    3. Nice concept on hiding the rest of your perm rods. Who knows, maybe this could become a thing! Your hair always looks great.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Shhh! Don't tell my secret Yemi! LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    4. When your on the go sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Its super cute though

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Girl...don't you know it! But I was secretly nervous that someone would touch my beanie! It must be what Clark Kent felt like! #DCcomicsnerdette

        Delete
    5. Replies
      1. Thanks Aku! A beanie is the PERFECT accessory for your curly fro chica!

        Delete
    6. Ma'am, I will never tire of your always flawless perm rod curls (and bantu knots)! The first time I'm able to pull off a perm rod set or bantu knot out successully I swear I'll be like "OMG I just KLP'd!" And I'm such a child because I laughed when I said "KLP'd" outloud and realized I said "peed".... and now I've realized that I should not write all stream of conscious-y when leavin comments because my whackiness gets exposed. I'm still hitting submit though!! #whackyisthenewsexy #that'swhatitellmyselfbecauseithelpsmesleepatnight #itstimetoputdownthecoffee

      And I love the sneaky yet cute cover up beanie! Two strands twisting is awesome! Twice the curls without risk of breakage -- I COMPLETELY agree; it changed my whole flexi rod setting life.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LMAOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL #IloveitwhenImnottheonlyonedrinkingtoomuchcoffee #ridiculouslylonghashtaggersunite Ha-ha!

        Delete
    7. Your hair looks great. Do you have any tips for putting in perm rods?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hola chica! I have a couple of tips and I promise to share EVERYTHING that I know once I get that perfectly perfect set photographed. (Fingers crossed and rollers rolled that its soon!) But here's what I have so far:

        1. Double Strand Twist- Take your section, divide it in two then twist it a few times before you wrap the hair on the rods. During take down, you won't have to worry about frizzing up your fingers when you separate them and you'll have DOUBLE the curl using half the rollers. #win-win
        2. Start from your roots- This is the COMPLETE opposite that everyone teaches but I find that I'm able to get more tension and smoother results when I start wrapping from my head.
        3. Experiment with your setting pattern- I go with a deep side part when setting my rollers with the curls falling towards my face. I find that it gives me a really good shape to the curls when take them down.

        More to come!

        Start each section with a small double strand twist first. Instead of using Split Start rolling at the root down to your ends.

        Delete
    8. Wow! "Drop the salsa beat," indeed! This last picture was priceless. Lol! You just reminded me why I love my beanies during the cold months. They hide a lot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Amen and hallelujah for the cover all mess beanie girl! I love then one in particular because it's super warm, thick, and extra wide!

        Delete
    9. Your secret's safe with us! The curly fringe is giving me life and I love the little hideaway rods, haha

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I always feel a little fancy when I have my curls cascading to the side. Flirty in the front---a little lazy and unprepared in the back. #dontjudgeme.... #okayjudgeme LOL!

        Delete
    10. I love how you chose the bigger perm rods to achieve bigger curls. It turned out nice.

      the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Tanya and welcome to SavingOurStrands! I hope that you can join us in the #washdayexperience next week!

        Delete
    11. The curls look great! I love the idea of keeping the rollers in and hiding them with a beanie. BEANIES ROCK. It's becoming beanie season and I cannot wait.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have sooo many beanies that it's border line obsessive...yet I typically only wear one or two of them. *shame face*

        Delete
    12. LOL..love how well you hid your perm rods hun! That's something I definitely would do :) Love the curls..you motivate me to try perm rods ASAP!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Loving these #washdayexperience posts!! Very cool idea :)

        Delete
    13. You're too funny! Lol! Very good idea though. Feeling like I need a beanie in my life! Also I always noticed that you use an oil over your dc. I've finally started trying this and I must say I am in love! Makes my hair softer and easy to detangle. What have I been missing? Lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Omgosh Andrea---layering an oil over my deep conditioner was one of the best experiments that I ever did! I wish that I could take credit for it, but I got the idea from the Carol's Daughter Olive Oil treatment!

        Delete
    14. Yay I ordered a beanie two days ago! :D Even though I live in a tropical country. Where it's sunny. And hot. I don't care -_____- I'll wait for rain and cold. And nights.
      Just totally loving the perfect curly fringe. You're going to make me get perm rods KLP

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Perm rods are a super cheap investment (in the US) at about $3-4 a package. I only have 2 packages of the orange ones. I'm thinking about trying one size up and one size down---just to see what the curl would look like on me. What size would you get?

        Delete
    15. hahaha too funny. I'm thinking of getting myself some perm rods too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Best thing that I've bought all year--those perm rods. And one of the least expensive hair investments!

        Delete
    16. Your secret is safe lol. That's smart way to hide those rods and still look cute. Seeing your weekly perm rods is encouraging me to get some and give it a try.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Rolling my hair on wash day is a really really tedious affair. It takes me forever and a day to finish---but my hair is 100000% easier to manage for the rest of the week. Plus, the parting makes it a lot easier to handle my hair in sections when I'm in a rush (aka all the time!).

        Delete
    17. Fantastic! Perm rods underneath a cute beanie, genius!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Rachel! Hopefully, I'll manage my time better in the future! But...if not...I better keep this beanie in a safe place!

        Delete
    18. hahaha! oh your are so funny! you would never know though! i need a beenie hat too! You are too cute KLP!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Yvonne! I got this beanie from H&M maybe...5 years ago. I'm sure that you could probably still find one there! Crochet is sooo on trend right now!

        Delete
    19. Girl, how big is that tub of conditioner?!
      Your styles are always so perfect! <3

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL! It's the BIGGEST tub that I could find girl! I love this conditioner!

        Delete

    We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!