Wednesday, August 12, 2015

[Hairstyle] Wash and Go Curly Pinup | The #WashDayExperience



Based on today's #washdayexperience, I can already tell that me + wash and go's aren't really going to mix until....

A. I find a way to style my hair (other than a puff) when I do wash and go
and
B. I find the right products that don't make my hair look a hot mess in the process. 

Anywhos, here's what I used to wash my hair this week:

Pre-shampoo: Redken Extreme Builder Plus
Shampoo: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
Clay Mask: Aztec Healing Bentonite Clay (+ Apple Cider Vinegar + Aloe Vera Juice + Glycerin)
Deep Condition: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
Leave-Ins: Almond Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner + DIY Hair Butter + Camille Rose Curl Maker

And here's how I did it:

I've been wearing my hair in a huge puff for the last two weeks, so for this #washdayexperience, I wanted to give my hair a little pick me up. I started by detangling and applying Redken Extreme Builder Plus. Even though my hair isn't relaxed anymore, my protein pre-shampoos are more of a preventative measure than anything else. The ends of your hair are the oldest and weakest part of your hair. Plus, I've always seen the greatest length retention when I consistently us protein products to protect my ends.

Related: How I Use Protein To Maximize My Length Retention


My scalp was soooooo gross before I washed today. Like dirty---flaky---filthy gross. After letting my pre-shampoo sit for about 30 minutes, I rinsed in the shower then shampooed my scalp twice with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream. Even with two lathers, my hair didn't feel stripped or get tangled.


I used a cotton t-shirt to absorb the excess water from my hair then I applied my clay mask from root to tip focusing on my ends. Bentonite Clay is amazingness in a jar. It's moisturizing, detoxifying, a shine enhancer, frizz eliminator----just curl defining goodness. Because it was really late, I covered with a plastic cap and scarf then went to bed.

RelatedMy DIY Bentonite Clay Hair Mask Treatment 


The next morning, I rinsed the clay using a little Trader Joe's Tingle Conditioner. Another thing that I'll never get tired of is the way that my curls feel after I do a clay mask. I mean---I really don't think that your hair can ever feel more soft without being overly moisturized, strong without being brittle, or incredibly defined. I really wanted to show you guys what I mean...but I had a terrible time trying to take a picture in the shower! I'm not into curl typing, so all I know is that my curls have got to be the tiniest curls in the world!

To style, I opted for a wash and go. I'm still developing my wash and go regimen, but so far I've stuck to my oil + moisturizer +  butter + holding product curl cocktail. This week I tested out Camille Rose Curl Maker. I've used it before in a twist out---with the same cocktail ingredients and loved it. But this time---it left my wash and go with a white fizz. The only thing that's different from today than my twist out is how wet my hair was before I applied the products. I love how moisturizing Curl Maker is, so I'm not going to give up on it just yet.

After applying my leave ins while I was in the shower, I pulled my hair forward and pinned the back up in a sort of french roll. I let my bangs fall forward then diffused my hair for a few minutes on cold to stop the drippys so that I could get out of the house. My hair takes FOREVER and a day to dry when I wash and go, which is fine in the summer when it's hot outside. Once the seasons start to change, I'll probably abandon the wash and go all together. I can't say that this attempt was successful or that I'm in love with my style but it was presentable!

How was your #washdayexperience?




12 comments:

  1. I think your style is adorable! That's the first thing I thought when I saw your picture. You are really making me want to try this bentonite clay mask! I haven't henna-ed my hair in awhile simply because I ran out, but now I'm thinking I should try this mask, too. It sounds ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh---if you try it let me know! I've always wondered how my texlaxed hair would have reacted to it!

      Delete
  2. I love the hair style. It's simple but really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your curls are popping! I'm sure you will be the boss of wash n go's soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying not to get discouraged Tomi!

      Delete
  4. That betonite clay mask is the stuff lol. Your curls looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Abbii! What's in your clay recipe?

      Delete
  5. This is nice to see all different ladies doing a wash experience. Their results look great!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!