Friday, October 11, 2013

Your Healthy Hair On: Butter

Top: Ingredients | Left: Cocoa, Shea, and Mango Butter | Right: Mixing in Action

Benefits of Healthy Hair Butter:

Spoiler! I have a this kinda weird thing for hair science research. My strands are my test subject, so I guess that you could call me a healthy hair mixologist. (Yep...I just made that up. Ha-ha!) I've been wanting to try out hair butter for one reason only: to save my ends. The last 2 inches of your hair are the oldest and most fragile section of your tresses. I know that if I want to retain length, that I've gotta be more mindful of what my ends do and how I treat them. I've hovered in BSL land for entirely too long now and I'm convinced that if I can keep my ends moisturized, protected, and strong---I'll finally make it into MBL la-la land. Hair butter is chocked full of nourishing butters, oils, and nutrients that protects hair from damage, deeply moisturizes and eases manageability. But wait! There's more!

How You Can Use it:

This bad boy is a jack of all trades that you can use for your hair and body- 
  • Sealant- Daily sealing after moisturizing my hair with a leave-in. 
  • Styler- As the "oil" in my bantu knot cocktail
  • Skin Softener- To smooth my entire body. (Especially for rough knees and elbows)

Healthy Hair Butter Recipe & How To:

The best part of DIY'ing your hair products is that you have control of what goes into your blend. I love being able to skip the icky not so good for you ingredients and then add more of the yummy yum yum nourishing ingredients.

Tangerine Vanilla Hair and Body Whipped Butter 
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Shea Butter
    1/2 cup Cocoa Butter

    1/2 cup Mango Butter
    2 tbsp Jamaican Black Castor Oil
   
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
   
1/2 cup Sweet Almond Oil
    2 tbsp Vitamin E Oil

    1/2 cup Aloe Vera Gel
    Tangerine Essential Oil

    Vanilla Infused Oil (I purchased from my local farmer's market)

    Directions:

  1. Melt the solid butters (Mango, Cocoa, then Shea) together over a double boiler (Make your own using a glass/metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Be sure that the boiling water does not touch the bottom of the bowl).
  2. Remove from heat. 
  3. Using a hand mixer add the remaining oils (except the tangerine and vanilla). 
  4. Mix until completely blended (no lumps, hard bits, and homogenous color) and add Tangerine oil. 
  5. As the blend cools, it will start to harden, so keep mixing until light and fluffy.

I actually started with this really simple recipe. But I the consistency was too thick/hard to apply. Plus y'all know me---I needed a great scent too! It took 3 batches to develop this recipe and get the fluffy, smooth, light blend that I wanted. Sometimes, you'll have to play with the ratio of butter, to oil, to aloe vera gel. 

So you're not the kitchenista type but want to try hair butter? No hay problema! Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter (Heavenly Delight) will always hold a special place in my heart. I promise you, this is an awesome product---no mixing required. 

There's only one downside: you might have to clarify more often if you are a regular hair butter lover. Other than that---Butter makes it better for my tresses. 

Have you tried hair butter? If so, share your recipe or product suggestion in the comments field. 

Besitos!
KLP

17 comments:

  1. That mix sounds yummmy for hair! Throw it into a Package and send some for me pls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mix! I am sure I would probably want to eat this one coz of the vanilla lol! I wonder if it is possible to use a few drops of vanilla essence/extract instead in the absence of the oil? I have also recently started making homemade butters but more for my skin than hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about using extract because they usually contain alcohol. Vanilla infused oil is really easy to make. Add two vanilla beans to a cup of warm oil. (I think the one that I have was made using jojoba oil) Let it sit until you get your desired scent strength. I suppose that the longer it sits, the stronger the scent becomes.

      I use this butter on my kids' dry skin too. They love it!

      Thanks for stopping by Lydz!

      Delete
    2. Now I get it I thought it was vanilla oil as in oil extracted from the bean or something this makes it much more easier since I infuse oils all the time will definitely try it out once I purchase some vanilla beans. Thanks KLP:)

      Delete
    3. It smells divine and although all of the ingredients are natural---it's probably best that we don't taste it. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I, too, have a hair science obsession! Lol! It's so cool to me. I've tried a butter mix once, but found it much too thick for my hair. It's great on my skin though. Soon it will be all gone and I will be trying another recipe. Your's sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was too thick the first time too. I just melted it down and tried again. I couldn't get that thick stuff to melt easily enough.

      Since then, I've added equal ratios of shea, mango, and cocoa butter to the aloe vera gel then whipped it for what seemed like forever to get that lighter fluffier consistency that I craved.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love mixing butters, but I usually use them for my skin. And I actually have all these ingredients in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try a little dab on your ends and see how it works for your hair. :)

      Delete
  5. sounds yummy :)
    tomorrow I'll drive to my parents and my mother can't wait for me to arrive because she wants me to mix her a nice hair and body butter. I may should try your recipe for her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Big cheesy smile* I'd be honored if you used my recipe!!! No matter what, I'm sure that she'll love it!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to try this. I have *almost* all the ingredients x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! I don't prefer to use a lot of butters on my hair b/c of the buildup factor but I love using body butters.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!