Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My Curlformer Secrets

www.savingourstrands.com)


I'm totally in love with Curlformers! I've used them practically weekly for the last 3 months. They're perfect for stretching my hair, which allows me to keep my hair moisturized root to tip. Plus curlformers make it super easy for me to work my hair into some of my favorite updos.

There is definitely a learning curve for using your curlformers, but once you get into your own rhythm, they are really easy to work with. Here are a few tips that I've picked along the way:

CHOOSE YOUR CURLFORMER

Curlformers range in size and curl type. So far, I've only used the (Pink and orange) Extra Long and Wide styling kit. I choose this kit because it was cheaper than buying the rollers + hook separately. The extra long kit also will allow me to keep using the rollers as my hair grows out. Currently my hair fills about half of the roller. I'm considering picking up the Extra Long and Narrow (blue and green) kit one day---you know when I hit the lottery or something like that.

WET HAIR

I almost never do anything in soaking wet hair---except install my curlformers. The results are sleeker, smoother and shiner than when I set on nearly dry hair.

CURLFORMER COCKTAIL

This is the only time that I'm strict about order of operations-- Moisturizer +Oil/Butter + Holding product--is the key to gorgeous curls that last. Use what your hair likes but just be sure that the products that you use together like each other. Some moisturizers don't like some oils and some holding products loose their minds when compounded with some moisturizers. Which will cause flakes. Date a few cocktails until you find one that you like. My current fave for long lasting curls is  Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, my Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I won't lie tho, I usually skip the holding product unless I plan on wearing my curls out and about. My goal with curlformers is simply to stretch my hair without direct heat.

SECTIONING

In the beginning, the hardest part to figure out is how to section your hair so that the curlformer will slide onto your hair without snagging all while dry in a decent amount of time. I like to first divide my hair into 4 sections (2 in the front and 2 in the back) and apply all of my leave ins. Then further divide those larger sections into 10 pieces. This way I'll have enough curlformers for each section.

DETANGLING

The better detangled your hair before installation, the sleeker that your curls will be. I prefer to finger detangle my smaller sections, then get the curlformer and hook prepared for installation. I tried using a denman brush once---but in the end, I felt that it was too much manipulation on my curls. Finger detangling definitely gets the job done.


DOUBLE THE CURL

I love my curlformers but I have no intentions on buying more if I don't have to. So in order to get more bang for my buck, I two-strand twist my sections before installing the curlformers. This sneaky little technique create two curls instead of just one without having to divide the curl after they set. It also gives your hook somewhere to latch onto so that it doesn't snag your hair. 

DRYING TIME

The first 2 times that I installed curlformers, I slept in them and it was the WORSE idea EVER. It was awkward, absolutely uncomfortable, and I didn't sleep at all. Because I loved the results, I knew that I'd need a better way to dry, so I invested in this dryer from Sallys. It was a bit on the expensive side but absolutely worth it! Now my drying time is 45 minutes, the dryer is quiet, and I'll NEVER have to sleep in curlformers again. The best part is that my curls are actually glossier when I use my hooded dryer than when I let them air dry. Removing your curlformers before they're dry will completely ruin the curl so allot enough drying time.

FLUFFING

When I do wear my curlformers out, I usually don't divide the curl any further. I do fluff my roots using my fingers to get rid of those parts. Then I use a pick, only at my roots for a little volume.



There you have it---my secrets to super smooth curlformer curls. Do you use curlformers? What are your tips and tricks for a fabulous set?

Besitos!
KLP

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your tips I particularly love the tips on the double curl and fluffing. YOur curlformer curls are simply gorgeous!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your curls are so gorge! I'm bookmarking this for the day I decide to get in on these curlformers! Great tips, KLP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I think that I'm liking Curlformers way more than perm rods!

      Delete
  3. How long do your curlformer sets last?.....Girl, I wouldn't wish sleeping in Curlformers on my worst enemy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEITHER WOULD I! The worse thing EVER!!

      I wash my hair every 3-4 days so my sets personally don't last that long. I also rarely use a holding product as I'm using curlformers mainly to stretch my hair and make styling my hair in updos sooooo much easier!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  4. These are great tips. I started using the two-strand twist tip on flexi-rod and bantu knot sets and it makes ALL the difference. It's already separated so no frizz. Genius! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSS!!! I use that tip for all of my sets too! I've also thought about doing full two strand twists from root to end then putting it in the curl formers to dry. But...then I feel lazy and don't bother. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Great post and tips! I definitely nodded my way through the whole post. Your hair looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! You're the one that really put me on to how EASY curlformers could be!

      Delete
  6. I bought the wrong size curlformers. Your results are so tempting for me to buy them and install them. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which size did you buy? I really want to try the blue and green set but idk if I want to drop another $60 on curlformers. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Thanks KLP, I will definitely use these tips.

    https://naturallykinkyme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay...I take back my anger. I humbly apologize and maybe I may have lied...maybe. I just may try again due to your tip about two strand twisting before installing. Can I see a pictorial? Do you have one already? I legit feel remedial, but if you only knew how many times I have tried after you posted curlformer results!!!! I need HELP. And just maybe, I'll tell myself I can actually do it. Maybe. I dunno...bad memories! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaawwwwwwww!!!! I think that this post here has pictures of how I two strand twist each section before installing the rod. Trust me when I say, this is tip makes installation a MILLION times easier! Your hair won't get caught on the hook and you'll end up with double the curl without having to separate them (which only causes more frizz in my hair) after your hair sets.

      Fingers crossed that it works for you chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!