Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Mini Wash

Ay dios, have you ever felt like having clean hair but didn't really feel like cleaning your hair? Ha-ha! Last week, I co-washed once and had an run in with accidental hair steaming that left my hair feeling pretty darn great. My grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday and I wanted to rock some big fluffy curls. However, I broke 2 out of 3 of my keys to perfect Bantu curls and I looked chia-pet-licious. *shrugs* You win some; You loose some.

I'm totally intrigued by the premise that you can prevent breakage on the oldest parts of your hair---your ends, by using strengthening leave-ins. This week I spritzed last 2 inches of my tresses with Chi Keratin Mist on the before moisturizing with Jessicurl Too Shea! and sealing with my hair butter. I'm happy to report that it hasn't caused any ill effects but I want to keep testing the theory until I feel more confident in my findings. Jajaja! I love hair research! Any who, on to my latest moisture packed wash day: 
  1. Detangled- with my fingers.
  2. Extreme deep condition- with JBCO on my scalp then Organix Hydrating Macadamia Oil Intensive Mask on the length of my hair. Then I sealed the conditioner with coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and relaxed under my heat cap for about 2 hours. 
  3. Green Tea Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied a few ounces of steeped green tea using a narrow tip applicator to my strands. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed. 
  4. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution and gently massaged into my strands.
  5. Air Dried- 70% with a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave-Ins- Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter, and the "faux" banded my hair to stretch my 13 weeks post super curly roots while it dried.
Results- 
Loss Hair- Detangling
My hair feels so soft and fluffy. Detangling took about 20 minutes. In the past, I remember detangling for at least an hour. I think that this has something to do with that Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution but I'm not going to give it all the credit just yet. I also noticed only 3, yep---I counted, strands of lost hair in the shower. Crazy cool.

After reading about Divachyk's banding method a few weeks ago, I attempted to give it a try. As I applied my leave ins, I gently stretched my roots and secured with a clip. Once I was completely done, I tied down with a scarf to get my edges smoother and let my hair dry. I totally think that this technique is here to stay. I love how stretched and tangle free my hair is afterwards!



What new techniques did you try out on your last wash day?

Besitos!
KLP

12 comments:

  1. I have not tried any techniques, but I want to try this one. I have seen natural hair ladies do it too. I hope my hair is long enough:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a technique "borrowed" from naturalistas. I've seen it done in smaller sections on chicas with shorter hair. Here's an example: http://youtu.be/m16KhqEHgpM. I think that it's a perfect way to stretch your hair without heat!

      Delete
  2. I have started protein layering (kind of), too! I use a protein condish on my ends and let it marinate overnight and cowash in the morning.
    So far so good. I have seen almost zero breakage since I started, and I've been dealing with tiny wisps of breakage for the past few months.
    Britt @ One&20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh...I like that method Britt! Breakage beware! We're coming to get cha!

      Delete
  3. While you were adding more protein, I was leaning more towards moisture and skipping the proteins in order to beat my protein-overload-like hair lol.
    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protein overload is totally no fun! I hope that you get your balance back!

      Delete
  4. This protein layering has me very intrigued! I think I'm going to have to give it a try soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it for a few more weeks and share my insight on it. So far so good.

      Delete
  5. Aha so that is what banding means!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Yeah. This hair obsession of ours has it's own language!

      Delete
  6. Years ago I would use the banding method (never knew what they called it until after starting my journey, smh) on my daughter's hair to help prevent it from tangling and shrinking while I work on other sections. I need to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop! There aren't many pre-hhj things that I still do today. Smh. And it explains why my hair was just a mess before!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!