Friday, March 14, 2014

Can I Workout When I'm Sick? | Fitness Friday

I'm sick. Again. If you have kids, work with kids, or were a kid---then you know that little people are made of sunshine, rainbows, and germs. I'm not quite flu-like ill--no fever, no body aches, no chills, but I do feel contagiously snotty enough to stay away from the gym. Today, I'm linking up with the awesome Ebony of Longing4Length, fiercely fabulous Britt of One&20, and stunning Nadege of RelaxedHairHealth to share how I workout when I have a cold.

Low Intensity but effective workouts:
No spin. I'll share a lot of things---but my germs are not one of them. No running. My nose is too snuffed up for that. To get a good workout, without exacerbating my symptoms, I turn to my favorite YouTube Fitness gurus FitnessBlender. Their barre routine is effective  and intense without being overwhelming or causing my body to overheat.





Step your healthy eating up a notch:
Now is not the time for chocolate and ice cream. Yes, it's comforting. Yes, it's deliciously satisfying. However, being less active and then consuming more calories on top of it is a recipe for weight gain. Gracias a Dios, that I gave up sweets for Lent! Eat as well as you can and drink more water than you normally would.

Rest:
Yep. Do nothing. Relax your body. You're already sick. You need the rest anyway. Plus, according to this article from WebMD, sleep derivation sets the stage for overeating. Being sick makes it worse. Take the day off. Recharge your batteries. Your body will thank you!

Whatever you do, please keep your germs to yourself. Get some Lysol. Wash your hands. I'm so over being sick. And if you have the flu, don't even think about working out. Keep your sick self at home!

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, Britt of One&20, and Nadege of RelaxedHairHealth.

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, One&20, and RelaxedHairHealth via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.



Besitos!
KLP





30 comments:

  1. Great post KLP to remind people working out is still possible when down with a cold or flu. I should have followed this back in January and I love FITNESS BLENDER.. everyone needs to get on this lol

    Maureen - www.myeverydaytreats.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends don't let friends sweat, sneeze, and cough their germs all over the machines in the gym. Ha-ha! Thanks for stopping by Maureen!

      Delete
  2. This is true - just because one is sick does not mean that you have cartle blanche to throw all your healthy habits out the window. However, if I'm sick, whether it's a cold, a flu or a sinus infection, I don't work out at all, just continue to eat healthy and rest and I up my fluid intake drastically. I lost a friend in college to a heart attack (he was 22) because he thought he was over his flu and went to go play tennis. He had a heart attack on the court and passed away. He was super fit and had no heart problems before that day, not even heart disease in his family. So, I would rather forego a week's working out than take that kind of chance with my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your tragic loss chica and you have a great point. The flu is nothing to play around with. It usually sucks the life right out of me; daily activities are enough of a workout when I'm suffering with a fever and body aches. The last thing that I'm thinking about is working out!

      Delete
  3. Rest is the best thing you can do now! Get well soon! I was so pulled by the title. I was like, what exercise can KLP be doing when she is feeling so crappy! Get well soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Silly me. I rested yesterday, but worked out today. Ironically that barre eased my congestion. Fingers crossed that tomorrow I can run! Thanks for the well wishes Yvonne!

      Delete
  4. Very timely post! I woke up with a terrible headache this morning and it was high impact cardio day. I had to lie down for another hour after taking some painkillers and I just told myself that working out is so out of the equation today. I will make it up another day. And those little people beautiful as they are can be so full of germs lol I guess most of them pick up the germs at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every single time that my minions get sick---I know that I will too. I'm always the last person to get it! *shrugs*

      Have a cup of tea and get some rest. You'll be back to full strength soon!

      Delete
    2. Thanks KLP! I am feeling much better now and I hope that you are too.

      Delete
    3. You're so welcome and I'm glad that you kicked that headache! Migraines are no joke!

      Delete
  5. OMG OMG I started a post about this yesterday! Coming soon! Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Great minds think a like---or we both have the same cold. *Yuck!* Stupid schizo weather isn't helping either!

      Delete
  6. Feels like I'm coming down with something. My throat is a bit scratchy. I will continue to workout at home though.
    Divachyk @Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #woot for not getting everyone else sick! Even if it is just a precaution!

      Delete
  7. Get well soon KLP! When i'm sick i feel to crappy to do anything, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! Fingers crossed that I'm feeling better tomorrow!

      Delete
  8. Awwww, feel better! And I'm all about resting when I'm heavily sick (as in the flu or a stomach virus) but I'll do low intensity if I just have a mild cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly did feel better after my short workout. Now, I'm kinda more snotty. Probably TMI...too late now I guess. Ha-ha! Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  9. I STAY sick so this post is great!
    I wish I wasn't such a baby when I'm sick. I will admire your strength and live vicariously through you haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you don't have fever it is quite safe! A long walk can even make you feel better. I like your thinking not spreading the germs around in a gym. Wish people could think like that when it comes to work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Lisa! Keep your sick self at home too! Luckily, at my company we have the option to work from home when we're sick making it easier for us not to spread our nasty germs!

      Delete
    2. I work some hours a week at a gym and people need to remember that the gym is a workplace as well. So stay home if you have the flue or any stormach bug please!

      Delete
    3. Absolutely Lisa! I remember one of my spin instructors told us to wipe down our bikes before we used them because the flu is REAL! LOL.

      Delete
  11. I've gone to the gym when recovering from being sick. I'm usually doped up on dayquil and I keep it working just not as hard. I feel great until I get home and pass out from being sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm the anti-med sick kid. I usually go straight for the hot herbal tea, eucalyptus, and echinacea drops.

      Delete
  12. Id always workout when I was sick. It seemed to lessen the sick time and made me feel better. Sometimes, I believe that regular activity is what keeps me from being sick or sick for long periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Tasia. I went for a run one day post sneezing and runny nose. I actually felt great afterwards...then I got snuffy again. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  13. When I'm sick it's always hard for me to drink my normal intake of water or eat much of anything at all. Being sick sucks! Thanks for the great tips!

    Courtnea of Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same trouble here Courtnea! I have to force myself to drink cups and cups of hot tea. I don't like it but I don't like being sick even more!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!