Tuesday, January 07, 2014

LCO vs LOC | How To Moisturize Your Hair


Thirsty dry hair is a big no no if you want longer healthier hair. But, it's hard to figure out how best to moisturize your tresses and what products to use. I don't know about you but it took me forever to understand what L.C.O and L.O.C were. Simply put, they are acronyms for the order in which you apply your leave-in products to achieve more, longer moisturized hair by using a combination of water, a creamy moisturizing leave-in, and oil.

L.C.O = Liquid + Cream + Oil
L.O.C = Liquid + Oil + Cream

L.C.O. has always made more sense to me, but real talk, I haven't a clue which one really works best for my hair. Enter my idea to try a semi-scientific experiment. I filled 3 glass jars with equal amounts of water then grabbed my Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector (Creamy moisturizer) and some Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (sealing oil). Jar 1 serves as a control with only water. I'm convinced that this is my hair when I don't moisturize after washing. Jar 2 is my L.C.O test; it's what I think my hair strands feel like on wash day after detangling, moisturizing, and sealing. Jar 3 is my L.O.C test; perhaps this is how much moisture (water) my hair could retain by reversing order in which I apply my leave-ins. I'm ever curious to see what happens.


28 comments:

  1. I didn't really know the difference until a few weeks ago. I decided to try the LOC method and I have to admit my hair stays moisturized for days. When I was doing the LCO method I had to moisturize and seal every day or every other day. I can't wait to see what happens ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop! I'm excited to see what happens too. I really have no clue which method truly traps in more moisture.

      Delete
  2. This makes things clearer for me. I will be trying both methods in the coming weeks to see what works best.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that with LCO I was moisturizing and sealing more often but I haven't totally stopped doing it that way. I've gotten in the habit of doing LCOC partially because the LCO is so engrained now. I'm going to just do the LOC after the next wash day and check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stuck primarily to LCO for my tresses because LOC just doesn't seem to make sense to me. But I've seen oodles of reports that LOC works best. I guess that we'll see soon (hopefully...) Ha-ha! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I am really excited to see the results! I've always done liquid, oil, butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I love experiments like this. Personally, I agree with you: LCO makes more sense to me than LOC, but I truly haven't been able to figure out which method actually works better for my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LCO is my jammy. I love heavy sealing, so I tend to LCOB most of the time. Awesome Experiment!

    EnExit Of PowerToThePJ
    www.Powerofthepj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried both and honestly I don't know which is better! I tend to do LCO more x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer LCO. Looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LCO has just made more sense to me. But I'm definitely not a chemist or trichologist!

      Delete
  9. Love the experiment. Honestly I don't know which is better but I do plan on trying LCO method because I've always done LOC method. Guess I will decide from there=) Thank for sharing girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sweat doll! I suppose that everyone should try it at least once to see which method helps the most.

      Delete
  10. I feel more comfortable with LCO, but maybe I should revisit LOC for another comparison.

    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also prefer LCO but either way my hair stays very moisturised!
    Mixed Hair

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love LCO. LOC never did anything for me but make my hair hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that it has anything to do with porosity?

      Delete
  13. Hmm ... I haven't tried LCO! I only use the LOC when my hair is air-dried, as any other style would just be weighed down!! I do like the LOC method, though! I will give LCO a try next faux air dry Wash Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this experiment looks very interesting and creative! how much cream and oil did you put in each container? can't wait for the results, I can never figure out if the LOC or LCO method works better either.

    http://pocahontas-secrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!