Wednesday, January 14, 2015

[Hairstyle] Wash Day | Top Knot on Natural Hair


After wearing my hair straight for two weeks and not washing---my scalp felt pretty darn disgusting. I wish that I could promise that I won't do it again. But...I probably will whenever I straighten my hair again. One week is just not long enough after putting in that much work to get it straight. LOL.Here's how my first natural hair #WashDayExperience went:


  1. Pre-shampoo- I started by gently detangling using my fingers and slathering each section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I clarified with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo to remove the icky build up that has accumuated on my scalp and then once more shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean. 
  3. Protein Treatment- Next, I applied Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes.
  4. Extreme Deep Condition- Then, I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner then put my hair into 6 loose bantu knots, covered with a plastic cap and got comfortable under my heat cap again for about an hour.
  5. Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the tshirt to dry a bit more.
  6. Leave-ins- I applied a little Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then bantu knotted my hair in about 10 sections.

The Results
I have no clue why or when I stopped pre-shampooing with conditioner but omgosh I love it! My hair absorbed the conditioner in like 0.1 seconds and instantly reverted into curls. And by reverted, I mean shrunk from shoulder length to neck length. Shrinkage is real y'all. So so real. 



It will take a few months (and a few mini-trims) before my curl pattern reveals itself. So in the meantime to encourage, define, and strengthen my curls, I'm sticking with my go to protein conditioner Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe. I'm not sure yet how often I'll use it. But at the least, you can expect to see it once a month. 

My hair felt like butter as I rinsed the Matrix Hydratherapie deep conditioner from my hair. Ultra smooth, silky and super curly. I was surprised at how elongated my hair felt in the shower. But the biggest surprise was---NO TANGLES.  Not one. Let me tell you this---I would have chopped my hair sooner if I knew that it would get rid of the tanlges like this. I honestly can not remember a #washdayexperience were I had not one tangle in my hair after rinising. 




Another plus- much much much less shed hair. On the right is my lost hair from a few wash days ago pre-chop and on the left, post-chop. The difference is actually shocking to me. 

Because this week is going to be hectic, I went for a low maintenance yet super stylish high top knot. I'll have to give y'all a full tutorial on this style soon. It's super simple. I just pull my hair into a high puff, twist it into 4 sections then wrap them around to form a bun. I hope that made sense...

How was your #washdayexperience?

Besitos!
KLP



36 comments:

  1. We are on the same plane with this bunning business! Love your top knot. :-) Your first natural wash day experience went great! Welcome to the super shrinkage club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about that bun life girl! And I'm happy that even with my chop, I'm able to pull my hair into a top knot. #winning

      Delete
  2. Congrats KLP, your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Kendra! It's just a boring top knot but I swear its one of my favorite styles.

      Delete
  4. Your hair is lovely! I've been gone so long that I missed when you big chopped. I will definitely go back to read more of your posts. Congrats on your big chop, I can't wait to do mines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't been away for too long chica. I just chopped about 2 weeks ago!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The tutorial is coming down the pipeline chica! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Your top-knot is too cute, KLP! And kudos to no tangles and less shed hair. Looks like you had an awesome wash day, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that all of my wash days are this successful!

      Delete
  7. That shrinkage though!!! It's so real! LOL! Love the curl pattern...and NO TANGLES???? You are making me want to go ahead and grab my shears now! LOL! Loving that top-knot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair has crazy ridiculous shrinkage. I can't lie; I adore the way that it started to fluff up and almost instantaneously curl back up.

      I had a come to Jesus moment when I was actually able to run my hands through my wet hair without snagging on one ONE tangle. I'm not sure if it was because my hair had been straightened before, the products that I used or if I just did a fabulous job detangled pre-wash, but I LOVE IT!!!

      Delete
  8. Love your top knot, please do a tutorial will love to see one.

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tutorial is in the works chica! I can't wait to show you guys how easy peasy it is!

      Delete
  9. You're already styling your natural hair like a pro KLP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet Sandra! I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a top knot!

      Delete
  10. Your curls are starting to pop. Btw you have gorgeous skin. Love the top knot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! Fingers crossed that it doesn't take forever until my curl pattern reveals itself. Thanks for stopping by doll!

      Delete
  11. I read "first natural..." and my eyes got so wide I felt my contacts instantly dry out. I had to instantly scroll back and find when you big chopped (I'm shamefully that behind).

    I'm so excited for you! Your hair looks lovely! You make me wish I had big-chopped a couple days ago lol *Continues to dance in chair because I'm still excited*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww....thanks chica! After a inch or so trim when I flat ironed my hair, I realized that I had much more natural hair than relaxed hair so---I chopped them off.

      Take your time---chop whenever you're ready girlie!

      Delete
  12. Your hair is so beautiful KLP. Love your curls x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand what you mean because my hair rarely tangles, unless a major trim is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reals!?!? Reason #0867865 why I'm still doing the happy dance about my chop!

      Delete
  14. That bun is super cute! You're already doing better than when I first went natural, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey love your cute top bun and your curls are showing already!! I can so relate with the less tangles and shed hair from when I cut off my relaxed ends too!! :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks fantastic! What a weight off your shoulders (no pun intended) to have those relaxed ends off! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bigchopped and i am patienting waiting to see my curl pattern well..Even though some pop after deep co..

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!