Wednesday, April 13, 2016

10 Quick and Easy Updos For Natural Hair

I LIVE and DIE for a quick and easy updo. Especially since I stopped relaxing my hair. I just don't have time for crazy complicated hair styles.


I'm guilty of hitting the snooze button one too many times. I often forget to set my hair the night before. And don't get me started on all of my failed wash and gos. Nonetheless, I refuse to walk out of the house looking a hot mess. So instead of giving you a boring #washdayexperience this week, I decided to share 10 of my favorite super  quick and easy updos: 

1/ SWIRLED CROWN BRAID (tutorial)

The perfect way to elevate a humble dutch braid. The key to this style is gently fluffing the sides of the braid to give it volume and make it look thicker.

2/ KNOTTED UPDO (tutorial)

Not a braid. Not a bun. All protective. Stupid simple. This Knotted Updo is perfect for any length hair. I used a technique called banding to stretch my curls.

RELATED: How to stretch natural (and transitioning) hair without heat! 

3/ TWO STRAND TWIST UPDO (tutorial)

The final chop of my texlaxed ends left my bangs super short which made styles other than a high bun difficult. After a little trial and error, I realized that two strand twisting my bangs first + a few well placed hair pins was all I needed to create a cute "not a boring bun" look. 

4/ FLAT TWIST BUN (tutorial)

I love using curlformers to stretch my hair then pulling the curls up into a protective style. And this Flat twist Bun is the perfect example of that. This style is chic but simple and the longer that you leave it in, the more voluminous it makes your hair look. So if you have hair on the finer side---this style is for you!


RELATED: How to use Curlformers on Natural Hair





5/ FISHTAIL BANANA CLIP (tutorial)

Banana clips are a fun way to put your hair into a quick updo. Then you can pin your ends up to turn the updo into a protective style.

6/ SWIRLED FLAT TWIST BUN (tutorial)

Make one large flat twist then two single twists then BOOM you gotta super cute hairstyle! Again, the length of your hair doesn't matter for this style.

7/ HIGH PUFF (tutorial)

Of course this list wouldn't be complete without my high puff. It's the style that I love to hate. It's the epitome of easy but it makes me soooo lazy with my hair. 

8/ FLUFFY TOP KNOT (tutorial)

As I got deeper in my relaxer stretch turned transition, pulling my hair into a high bun got harder and harder. That is until I worked my hair into this gorgeous fluffy top knot.

9/ HEAD WRAP SCARF BUN (tutorial)

This style has two steps: Bantu knot your bangs then wrap your hair in your favorite printed scarf. Easy peasy!

10/ CURLY UPSWEEP (tutorial)

Necessity is the mother of invention. All I had was a failed twist out, 5 minutes, and a stretched out hair tie; and it was all I needed to create this style. I pulled my hair into a high puff leaving down a large section to give myself a curly bang.

What's your favorite updo? Link it up below!

Besitos!
KLP



27 comments:

  1. *snap snap snap* Yaasss! I'm always in awe of your updos because you make them seem so effortless. Mean while I'll be in my bathroom cursing my hair under my breathe and chasing bobby pins around my sink before they fall down the drain. I love numbers 4 and 6. Teach me your ways sensei!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! You're so silly Jen! These style look effortless because they REALLY are! The only trouble is that now I'm more comfortable with my hair up than I am with it down!

      Delete
  2. I love this...I've the same attitude when it comes to styling my hair, I don't like stressing myself out lol I do need to learn how to whip up updos like you do.

    www.lisasjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple is best! Plus if I have my hair out---you're liable to see my hands in it!

      Delete
  3. Styles 4 & 10 are my favourite! <3
    Love this post! Now I need to get my updo game up! :D

    thekinkandi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ekene! No. 10 was the result of a twist out epic failure!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous updos KLP. Quick and easy are definitely my kind of hairstyles so will have to give some of these a try x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love #4 the best but I like #9 for a lazy day hairstyle or rainy day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Head wraps for the win! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  6. How do you come up with these cute updo's. #4 is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really adore simple braids, twists, and updos. I usually start with a style in mind---then it doesn't work but what I come up with turns out to be really cute! Most of these styles are just accidents. LOL!

      Thanks for stopping by Tomi!

      Delete
  7. You are the queen of easy updos! So stylish. I usually pin my hair up like 3, it was almost like looking at my own hair.
    Clearly I have a lot more styles to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 is one of my FAVVEEEEEE styles! It's just soo easy and elegant!

      Delete
  8. I really like them all but I love #4 & 7! Do you know I haven't tried a puff yet? Nope....idk, I feel like I just can't *get* it smoothly up there so I don't try despite the ba-zillion tutorials on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the feeling chica! I just need to warn you---once you start supporting the puff---You won't want to do any other style!

      Delete
  9. Love every single one of these styles on you sis! Faves have to be 4, 7 & 10. Thanks for the hairspiration! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so not versatile when it comes to my natural hair. I need to try some of these styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know which on you choose! All of them would look fab on you!

      Delete
  11. Your updos are always on point! Number 1,4,6 are my all faves! I am still trying to recreate your #4, it takes quite some skill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! Once you get the hang of flat twisting #4 is super simple! But just be careful---it's easy to get addicted to that style!

      Delete
  12. I love easy hairstyles. I also love hairstyles that can last a few days without having to redo. I'm totally here for it! Your hair looks great. I can't quite figure out which one is my favorite. All of 'em rock.

    Jay | RelaxedThairapy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those waves are amazing! I am always so scared to create waves with my straightener for fear of burning my hair! For more details discover this info here

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the natural look these ladies are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is also a lot of stuff that you really need to take into consideration before picking the right hair style for you. And these includes things like the shape of your face, the texture of your hair and how long you want to spend maintaining your hair styles. For more info check over here.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!