Tuesday, April 05, 2016

5 Ways To Trim Natural Hair

www.savingourstrands.com)

I'm scissor happy and cut apprehensive all at the same time. I'm not at all afraid to trim my hair. I know that my curls will look better, feel healthier, and behave properly when my ends are maintained. But I just don't want to over do it.

My goals for trimming my hair are simple:

Keep length
Remove splits
Create shape
Without using heat

I want to keep my length, while removing any split or rough ends, and give my curls some shape, all without having to straighten my hair with heat. I know I know...I'm asking for a lot here. So I took to YouTube in hopes of finding a few tips to help me beyond a better DIY trimmer. Here's what I found:



THE TWO STRAND TWIST METHOD

Time consuming but thorough. I like this method because it allows me to wash, trim, and set my hair all at once. However, I doubt that it will give my hair shape.



THE STRETCHED FRO METHOD

Because my hair is typically stretched from a Curlformer set, the stretched fro method would definitely be convenient for me. I sort of used this method during my last trim, but I found that I snipped off a tad bit more length than I would have liked because my ends love to curl up on itself.



THE CURLY SEARCH & DESTROY METHOD

I love this method because it truly takes into account what your ends look like while wet while concentrating on getting rid of single strand knots. There are times when my stretched ends will look wonky and uneven but once it curls up---it's perfectly fine. Again, this method is tedious but you're guaranteed not to take off too much length.



THE DIY DEVA CUT METHOD

I won't lie, this DIY Deva Cut Method is personally the scariest technique that I found because it's all about achieving that perfect shape. I don't trust my trimming skills enough yet to even attempt this free hand method, but I'm saving it for that day when I feel bold!



THE BANDING METHOD

I love the way that Laila uses a hair tie to determine where to trim her ends. She concentrates on keeping the trim even, only snipping off the splits and keeping her layers in tact.

What are your tips for trimming your hair? Have you tried any of these methods? Share your dets!

Besitos!
KLP

6 comments:

  1. I've use the two strand twist method, but I've only trimmed twice since my big chop.
    I'm bookmarking this post for when I trim next time.
    Thanks KLP

    Lungi | www.bylungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the method that I've been using too. But I'm really thinking about trying the Curly Search & Method method.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the information KLP, I will keep it for my next trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Keep me updated on which method you choose! I'm still weighing out the pros and cons of each one

      Delete
  3. I use the two strand twist method (unless my hair has been freshly flat ironed). Over the last 6 months I've picked my shears probably more than necessary to snip of too-thin ends after twisting my hair. I jist can't stand the sight to thin-ended twists... I might have to start freezing my shears in a cup of water again. That's the only sure fire way to get me to leave my hair some when it comes to trimming.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!